Paiste 602 20in thin crash

Destroyer772

Gold Member
Ever since I purchased my first Signature 17in fast crash I have had the Paiste bug. That followed with a 19in full crash and 15in Modern Essentials hats. I am going to use this as light Crash/Ride at home for practice and recording. Only other place I play is at church and my 21in Avedis (new model) covers that. To my ears this is the perfect crash ride. Curious to see what you guys think of this cymbal on this recording with my Zoom Q4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L0anLdcJiQ&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2778.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_2781.JPG
    IMG_2781.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 285
I'm not a devotee of the brand, but as Paistes go, that's an exceptionally nice sounding example. I like it.

It's pretty, too, ain't it?

GeeDeeEmm

There is something special about that cymbal. Congratulations!

May I ask what stick you used in the video?

There is something special about that cymbal. Congratulations!

May I ask what stick you used in the video?

I used these on the first half Vic Firth Steve Gad Signature and the other was standard wood tip Pro Mark 5A American Hickory.

It’s one of my favourites too. Yours must be a bit heavier than mine judging on the ride sound.

It must be on the heavier side of the model. It doesn't wash out like I thought it would, but it still has some give to it and feels good on the hand's. I am very happy with it, turned out to be exactly what I was hoping for.

Thank's everyone for checking it out.

Very excellent! Will keep my eye online for deals on that cymbal.

I have been all-Sabian for YEARS but the PAISTE bug got me too when I randomly bought a 20" Sig Full Crash.. now I want more lol!! Been on the hunt for a 19" Sig full but they are rare to find online for a good price.. same with 19" Dark Energy Mark I crashes...

I like the 22" 602 Medium ride as well, keep my eyes out!

Very excellent! Will keep my eye online for deals on that cymbal.

I have been all-Sabian for YEARS but the PAISTE bug got me too when I randomly bought a 20" Sig Full Crash.. now I want more lol!! Been on the hunt for a 19" Sig full but they are rare to find online for a good price.. same with 19" Dark Energy Mark I crashes...

I like the 22" 602 Medium ride as well, keep my eyes out!

I got my 19in Sig from Sweetwater, it was a demo that saved me around $60 off new price. That was still high but their three month installment plan help's and they send it to you after first payment. Sometimes they cut demo's models even cheaper you just have to keep an eye out under "deals" at the top of the home page.

Gorgeous, the 20" Thin is my favourite crash. Incredible consistency, I just sold my 18" because I picked up a vintage black label 602 Thin 18. Compared them and they sounded identical.

Any plans to grab the 22" Thin? I've seen a few on eBay recently, it's superb at all volumes.

Gorgeous, the 20" Thin is my favourite crash. Incredible consistency, I just sold my 18" because I picked up a vintage black label 602 Thin 18. Compared them and they sounded identical.

Any plans to grab the 22" Thin? I've seen a few on eBay recently, it's superb at all volumes.

I would love to eventually and use it as crash ride and the 20 as my big crash. 602's are the most musical cymbal's I have ever played. I wish I would have been looking at these a few years back when I was buying Zildjian's for my Saturn V kit. I still love my Z's but these Paiste have something special that I really enjoy. I will look up a black label 18 like you have and give it a listen.

Old 602's are quite easy to find used, I just find them to be the perfect general purpose cymbal. Glad you're drinking the Kool Aid too! ;)

How does a Modern Esstential crash compare to a Traditional in terms of weight?
I have almost all the Traditional crashes and have been thinking to supplement with a 19” Modern Essential.

Modern Essentials are a bit stiffer to play IMO, they're thicker at the edge than my traditional thin crashes and my 602 Classics. They're still complex sounding like the traditionals, certainly very versatile. My 20" traditional thin opens up a lot better than my 20" Modern Essentials at low volumes, owing to the thinner edge on the traditional.

I've played the 19 and it has tons of warmth, still has brightness. It's a great all round crash but won't be as great at lower volumes. It would offer a nice alternative crash sound though mixed in with the traditionals. Just depends whether or not the difference in sound is pleasant to your ears as its B20 alloy not signature alloy.

Check out the mycymbal.com videos on Youtube, I find them to be very accurate and Paiste's consistency is second to none.

That is a very nice cymbal! I suspect that it may be on the heavier side for the model, as the ones I have tested out at local music stores and at the Memphis Drum Shop on my visit three years ago were not as articulate as yours. For the longest time, I was not a fan of Paiste, as I am a B20 bronze purist who wouldn't be caught dead playing on a 2002, and also, the Paistes I do like (the Masters, Twenty, and 602 Modern Essentials lines, and the 22" Signature Dark Energy Mark I Ride) are all well out of my price range. However, I managed to score an insane deal on a used 4378-gram 24" Twenty Masters Deep Ride on August 15th of this year, and it is now my go-to ride for heavy metal, punk, and grunge songs. I reckon because of its dark and somewhat dry tone, I could also use it in the event that I am booked for a big band gig, and my overhead mics stop working.

Back