Paiste 505 20" Ride

Lennytoons

I pulled my Paiste 505 20" ride cymbal out of the closet the other day. I'd forgotten that I had it. It was a shopgoodwill.com steal a few years back. I think I paid $50 for it at the time. I was really surprised at how well it recorded. It has a smooth pingy sound and depending on where you hit it the sound changes dramatically. It crashes well too which is a bonus. I'm going to leave it in with my "A" kit for a while and see how I like it. It was a nice "Clean out" surprise. Somewhere I have two hi hats to match.

Bozozoid

Ya...but...it has the name paiste on it and your surprised?. My switch to paiste many moons ago dropped 10 years of turmoil off my shoulders. Your paiste was lonely now it's happy. That's what paiste do..they bring great joy.

Jml

I’m keeping an eye out for one of those. There was a 20” heavy 505 ride for sale near me, but I want something that crashes.

Lennytoons

I’m keeping an eye out for one of those. There was a 20” heavy 505 ride for sale near me, but I want something that crashes.
Mine is a medium. The crashability surprised me more than anything. I put it with my 602 pre serial number 18" crash and my Zildjian A 19" medium thin crash. It fits perfectly in that mix.

iCe

I think Paiste secretly means 'pingy rides' :sneaky:
Maybe a few Masters thin and dry rides have it to a less extent, but when i hear Paiste cymbals they all have that typical sound. I have a Sound Formula 20" Dry Ride which should actually be called a Dry Ping ride IMO. Anyway, just not for me and intend to sell it.
Been seeing a lot of good posts about the 505's and that people are (re)discovering them. Was curious about them and looked them up in the Paiste wiki. I long back to the days that the intermediate cymbals (and even pro lines) had so much different models. And 20" chinas hehe