Paiste 2oo2 cymbal suggestions

drummernoise

So, I play in a very classic rock (think Led Zep, Doors, Rolling Stones, Free, etc) sounding band. I love my Giant Beat (15/20/24) but they’re getting way too washy and are kinda of darkening the sound. I brought out my 2oo2s (15se/20crash/22ride) and they cut a lot more but now my ride is a bit too stiff when I want to use it for our more bluesy songs. I like using the sizzler chain on my GB too but it deadens the 2oo2 a lot. Any suggestions for another ride? I’m open to any brand, I tend to stay with Paiste.

Thanks in advance

As suggested, the Big Beats might be worth a listen. I love them for classic rock stuff. My go to set for that consists of 16“ HH, 18“, 20“, 22“.
But since you are used to a 24“ Ride, you should perhaps try a 2002 24“ “classic“ ride or the 2002 „Big Ride 24“ Reverend Al‘s“. The latter is a bit darker than the classic 24“.

As suggested, the Big Beats might be worth a listen. I love them for classic rock stuff. My go to set for that consists of 16“ HH, 18“, 20“, 22“.
But since you are used to a 24“ Ride, you should perhaps try a 2002 24“ “classic“ ride or the 2002 „Big Ride 24“ Reverend Al‘s“. The latter is a bit darker than the classic 24“.
I’m thinking of going with a 22” ride. I’ve been liking being able to control the ride a bit more.

A 'Medium' might work as a thin ride or crash-ride, too. Unfortunately it seems to top out at 20"

I played a 22" Zildjian Medium Ride for about 20 years until I got too boisterous one month and switched to 3S sticks. It cracked so now it's relegated to a "practice" cymbal.
But the point of my blog is that it dawned on me one day why it was called a "medium"
It was literally right in between a light, jazzy type ride and a heavy, metal/punk-type ride. This meant is was really perfect at being non-intrusive and pretty OK for everything in general, except super, light, small combo jazz. It's like the Toyota Camry of rides! :D

Giant Beats are quite versatile because of their weight, I would use the 2002 15" hh and 20" crash, and on the other side the 20" GB as a ride.
If that doesn't cut it, I'd go with either a 21" Big Beat or possibly even a 20" Signature full ride, and I'd certainly stay under 22" if you're looking for something with a cutting sound that can still open up convincingly at lower volumes.

Back