Paiste 2002 Horse of a Different Color

steverok

Silver Member
I decided I wanted a 2002 20" ride, and in my insanity, I ended up with two. I got a new one online, for a good price, and it has a sizzly light open sound to it, fun to play. I encountered another one in a store, which was heavier and more pingy, which I decided was more to my liking, especially for the rock music I am playing. The guy at the store gave me a nice discount on it, so I decided to grab it. The interesting thing is the lighter one, pictured on the right, has an entirely different look in the colorization of the alternate rings. In addition, the gradient of the bell appears to be more gradual on the lighter one. I think I've decided I like them both enough to keep both. I didn't expect such differences in two Paiste cymbals of the same model and year. What do y'all think ?

Last edited:

<(' . '<)

It's mainly just to give the cymbal a different sound, projection etc.. The wild china's and crashes of the 2002 series have the RUDE finish, which is no lathing and hammered. It gives even more options to Paiste users. That's just an example, nothing much to do with your rides outside of just having the extra options. The fact that they're both just the regular rides leaves me with questions as well.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Yeah, the heavier lathing on the ride on the right is unusual indeed. Normally there is not a hell of a lot that separates like Paiste cymbals of the same weight and model, both visually and sound wise.

Enjoy 'em!!

Ruok

Silver Member
I own 2 pairs of red label Paiste 14" 2002 Medium hi-hats and they are slightly different too. The lathing on one pair is deeper, or more prominent, than the other pair which is a lot smoother. The sound is slightly different as well. One pair has more of a drier attack than the other which seems to have more wash. But it is a subtle difference and I don't think anyone other than a fanatical drummer or cymbalholic would notice.

Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Paiste claims that their cymbals will be exactly like each other of the same model. I believe they state that the overall character of the same model will be very close to each other. I think a cymbal must be within a certain boundary of their master cymbal. If it's slightly heavier or lighter, or perhaps the lathing varies a bit, this is normal since the overall quality and sound of the specific model is relatively close, but not exactly, similar to the master cymbal.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Paiste claims that their cymbals will be exactly like each other of the same model.
I think you're right......they certainly don't claim each cymbal is an identical clone of the master. But as a cymbal manufacturer the use of the master has them widely renowned as being one of the most consistent with regards to like cymbals. More often than not, there is usually very little visually to separate two of the same cymbal.....so when I actually see a couple with such obvious manufacturing differences, I guess I just get a little surprised.

Florian

Gold Member
maybe a Chinese knock-off?
I have found Paiste to be very consistent...these look less than consistent.

This happened with UFIP.

F

steverok

Silver Member
maybe a Chinese knock-off?
I have found Paiste to be very consistent...these look less than consistent.
F
No chance of that. The serial #'s are now engaved on the back with a cool little round Paiste logo. And they do sound of the same model, so it's the real deal.

Swexx

My 17" 2002 Crash looks like the ride to the left, while my 18" 2002 crash has rings like the one on the right. I've never thought about why, they both look and sound phenomenal.

How do you tell ? The right one has a serial # beginning with 12 while the left one begins with 11.
The first two numbers would be the year. I believe that paiste made a few changes to select models beginning late in 2011. I think we just found one of those models.

:)