Paiste 2002 for acoustic jazz?

Neal Pert

This is a very quick sample of how 2002 Big Beats sound in a jazz context. I think they sound pretty great, tbh. I made this because someone had asked me for some specific sounds, so it's certainly not how I'd normally play under this backing track. First chorus is the 20", second the 18", third the 15" hats, and fourth just kinda everything.

https://soundcloud.com/reverend-mister-mark%2Fbig-beats-for-jazzwav

Last edited:

toddbishop

Platinum Member
This is a very quick sample of how Big Beats sound in a jazz context. I think they sound pretty great, tbh. I made this because someone had asked me for some specific sounds, so it's certainly not how I'd normally play under this backing track. First verse is the 20, second the 18, third the hats, and fourth just kinda everything.

Sounds great-- the cymbals and your playing. Are they Giant Beats?

jda

Silver Member
Jack DeJohnette Paul Wertico Danny Gottleib Paul Motian

Paul Blood

This is a very quick sample of how Big Beats sound in a jazz context. I think they sound pretty great, tbh. I made this because someone had asked me for some specific sounds, so it's certainly not how I'd normally play under this backing track. First verse is the 20, second the 18, third the hats, and fourth just kinda everything.

Sounds great! Are those the multi functional 18 and 20? What size hi hats?

mikyok

Platinum Member
Played at a jazz open mic last week and the cymbals were all 2002s 20" Ride, 18" Heavy Crash (great little jazz ride) and some 14" sound edges.

They sounded absolutely fine

ToneT

Silver Member
Ultimately it's about what you're comfortable playing. If you develop a touch that works well on 2oo2s then there's nothing wrong with it. If you prefer a slightly brighter sound then why not?

After all, if Jack DeJohnette can play his pan lids and sound that freaking great then why couldn't somebody else play 2oo2s? No hard and fast rules here - just conventions.
I saw him at Fat Tuesdays playing a Rude ride and, as expected, he played so dynamically. The ride sounded perfect for the performance. This was long before his switch to Sabian. I was only a few feet away from his bass drum.

Radioguy

Older guy here...been playing primarily jazz for the last 50 years. Those cymbals you posted would be great for Jazz. As others have said, size and weight would be the primary concern. In Mainstream/Jazz you would very seldom see a 24" ride and you probably don't see many today. I combination of volume, wanting to use the Ride occasionally for a crash and in small clubs even the size on the stage. Plus when you hit a certain age...those suckers are heavy and seldom fit into a cymbal bag. The 2002s in your video sounded great.

type85

2002 Big Beats-- 20" and 18" and the 15" hats.

Some more context if it's helpful: the Big beats or "2002 blacks" are very different from the standard 2002's, they are very heavily hammered, thinner, much darker and much "drier" than the standard 2002's, most if not all of the "metallic ring" you get from the standard 2002's is gone.

1664474554242.png