Paiste 2002 Big Beat

steverok

Silver Member
Have not seen any mention of these here. They appear to be a new line. I went cymbal shopping this weekend, and saw a set of these on a kit. I sat down and started laying into this 20" that was positioned as a ride. It has a light ride feel, with a pretty good bell, and an addictive crash-ability, especially when you are swinging. I immediately recognized it could take me new places, so I snatched it up. I guess they are 2002 material, but hammered to be darker, both sonically and aesthetically. Not sure what you would compare them to, but I really like what I got.

PineyplayParadiddles

I think they're pretty much a 2002 with the hammering from the Formula 602 Modern Essentials. I got to play a 21", 22" and a 24" last time I popped into Andertons and they were gorgeous. I think they've got all the hallmarks of a classic complex cymbal, just bright enough with a really pleasant dark wash underneath. I was surprised at how thin and versatile they are, brilliant for jazz fusion and blues stuff. Loved the 16" hats as well, but now I can't decide between those and the 17" 2002 hats I want.

brady

Platinum Member
I guess I need to give these cymbals another shot then. I checked out a couple at a shop a while back and remember not liking the hats very much at all. They were almost too thin; no chick or definition to them.
Now I have loved nearly every Paiste I have ever played but these just didn't do it for me. I thought the "rides" were too washy. I tried a 20" and a 22". I thought they were a little too low pitched and washy. However, I thought they would make excellent crashes. An 18" or 19" would be a great addition to any set up.

steverok

Silver Member
I guess I need to give these cymbals another shot then. I checked out a couple at a shop a while back and remember not liking the hats very much at all. They were almost too thin; no chick or definition to them.
Now I have loved nearly every Paiste I have ever played but these just didn't do it for me. I thought the "rides" were too washy. I tried a 20" and a 22". I thought they were a little too low pitched and washy. However, I thought they would make excellent crashes. An 18" or 19" would be a great addition to any set up.
As I gather you are aware, they are not rides or crashes. Other than the hats, everything would be classified as a hybrid of a crash and a ride. Therefore, as a ride, it is going to be light on the ping with more wash. But if you like to add little crashes while you ride, it is pretty cool. Plus, the bell on my 20" is quite good. Currently I have mine set up as a crash aside a 20" 2002 Crash. I can comment on that comparison soon.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Seems like an interesting line.
I wonder where they sit sound wise between the 2002's and the Giant Beats.
The only Paiste stuff I've got is a 24" Giant Beat, and a couple of orphan hats.
I like the Giant Beat.

brady

Platinum Member
As I gather you are aware, they are not rides or crashes. Other than the hats, everything would be classified as a hybrid of a crash and a ride. Therefore, as a ride, it is going to be light on the ping with more wash. But if you like to add little crashes while you ride, it is pretty cool. Plus, the bell on my 20" is quite good. Currently I have mine set up as a crash aside a 20" 2002 Crash. I can comment on that comparison soon.
You assumed correctly. I said "rides" before just to illustrate that I played the larger cymbals. I just remember being surprisingly disappointed in the cymbals. That said, I probably would like a slightly smaller one to use primarily as a crash. Ultimately, I guess nothing compares to the Giant Beats for me.

But after all the praise for them here, I do want to go back and try them again. Maybe I was missing something. I agree though, if you're looking for a big washy ride, these are the way to go.