Paiste 2002 24" Ride

steverok

Silver Member
Sorry to perpetuate GAS, but that's what got me here. Picked this up on Black Friday for a good price ... hand picked. Jeez this cymbal is like drug addiction. With each level of escalation, anything less than 24" appears to be subpar or unexciting. I can't keep it off the stand. I play it with a Vic Firth HD4 wood tip slim hickory stick. It has a warm defined ping with a nice wash underneath, not very bright, with a really good bell and responsive crash. I don't aspire to Led Zeppelin or John Bonham at all, but the man obviously had good taste. You can do anything with this ride. The only thing sad about it is I had to go all the way to edge to find it. What a thing a beauty. I couldn't imagine any drummer not liking this cymbal.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
...........With each level of escalation, anything less than 24" appears to be subpar or unexciting..........

Geez, this gave me a giggle. I remember thinking along similar lines when I got my 24" Giant Beat.

Enjoy that cymbal mate. They really are an amazing sound. I laboured between that one and the GB for ages before I finally settled.

G

Ghostnote

Funny, I can relate... I never set out to emulate Bonham either, but one piece of gear at a time I've wound up playing large Ludwigs and Paiste 2002's, lol. I play the same ride and it's a killer. Enjoy, and use responsibly!

PineyplayParadiddles

They are truly exceptional rides. Paiste nails clean and warm tone, congrats on your purchase! Now you need to grab a Paiste 22" crash and you'll be in a state of bliss for the foreseable future.

no talent

best ride Ive ever had the pleasure to play on. In my rock bands practice studio there is one and we always laugh that after a song is finished, and its quiet, the ride is still heard humming along loudly till i grab it.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Congratulations on your new ride!

Welcome to the land of big cymbals. The 2002 24" ride is one of my favorites. I love the whole thing, bell, body, and edge.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I tried a Giant Beat and 2002, 24" side by side.

I went home with the Giant Beat, but the 2002 was mighty fine too.

Just a matter of what you were looking for.

After using several 24's for a while, a normal size 20 seems a bit small.

steverok

Silver Member
I tried a Giant Beat and 2002, 24" side by side.

I went home with the Giant Beat, but the 2002 was mighty fine too.
I did play a GB 24 once, and I liked it. My impression is the GB 24 is both mellower and lighter than the 2002 24" Ride.