Paint color choice for a practice room or studio?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I want to choose something more than the white primer that's on the walls. Your thoughts on the effect color can have when spending hours in a room?
I did a search for color choice for calming/creativity/productivity and I got an AI generated response:
  • Blue
    A peaceful color that can help with stress and anxiety, and can create a sense of tranquility. It can also help with sleep and is often used in therapeutic settings for meditation and relaxation.
  • Neutrals
    Colors like beige, brown, white, and cream can help with deep focus because they are less stimulating than other colors. Off-white shades can also feel comforting and less distracting than pure white.
  • Green
    The color of nature, green can be restful on the eyes and is associated with balance and harmony. It is also believed to have healing powers and can help reduce anxiety.
  • Purple
    In many cultures, shades of violet represent strength, wisdom, and peace. It can have a soothing effect on the mind and nerves, and can invoke a tranquil feeling that helps reduce stress.
  • Yellow
    Associated with cheerfulness and mental clarity.

Last edited:
The music room at my old house was a gorgeous, deep blue. I always felt it boosted my creativity and enjoyment of playing. If I ever own a home again, I plan to paint the music/writing/craft room blue.

Here's a pic - an old friend helping make my Ludwigs and guitar look good. :)

Attachments

• 440.JPG
    440.JPG
    416.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 434.JPG
    434.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The music room at my old house was a gorgeous, deep blue. I always felt it boosted my creativity and enjoyment of playing. If I ever own a home again, I plan to paint the music/writing/craft room blue.

Blue? Ludwigs? Guitar? Playing? Creativity? Gorgeous?

Yeah, blue looks good! 😇

Whoa! Yeah! Room paint color... Back in my army days, lots of the interior paint was a greenish/beige/not quite off white (industrial?) color. I don't remember that it made me respond a certain way, but it was quite prevalent if I recall. Strangely, Mrs Smoke seems to gravitate toward a lighter shade of the same. Seems "homey" to me!

The blue looks great - and the girl sure as well :)
However, both the drums and walls blue seems to have too little color separation.
So I vote you paint the drums white :p

Your thoughts on the effect color can have when spending hours in a room?
Choose whatever color works for you. You can always repaint with a different color if it's not happening.

Apart from color, lighting plays a significant role in the creative process. I used to have a large rice paper lamp in the room but it was a bit too fragile moving gear around. I ended up going with small 3000 Kelvin 5.6 watt LED bulbs on a single retro warehouse overhead lamp.

The room below was done for my daughter back in 2014. She had left for college and asked me if I would repaint her bedroom in a "tattoo" studio theme. After she moved out several years later it became my drum room. I liked the paint enough to keep it "as is" and added a sofa and a few odds and ends.

DrumStudio2.JPG

Studio6.jpg

Studio2.jpg

Studio1.jpg

Studio7.jpg

Choose whatever color works for you. You can always repaint with a different color if it's not happening.

Apart from color, lighting plays a significant role in the creative process. I used to have a large rice paper lamp in the room but it was a bit too fragile moving gear around. I ended up going with small 3000 Kelvin 5.6 watt LED bulbs on a single retro warehouse overhead lamp.

The room below was done for my daughter back in 2014. She had left for college and asked me if I would repaint her bedroom in a "tattoo" studio theme. After she moved out several years later it became my drum room. I liked the paint enough to keep it "as is" and added a sofa and a few odds and ends.

View attachment 147357

View attachment 147358

View attachment 147359

View attachment 147360

View attachment 147361
Cool job man! Love it.
I still want to build a nice home studio in my next house, so I'm always absorbing cool inspirational ideas (y)

My music room is deep red and a sandy beige, but I might change that. I think blue is a good choice.

None more black....;)

My drum area/man cave is a deep slate blue, I think it was called ‘silhouette‘, which I think has a classy vibe… for a man cave?
The dark tone (blackish), is great when adding color details… pretty much anything goes.

As mentioned by Vintage Old School, I agree lighting is important. I have lots of natural light. Then I added quite a bit of different lighting to provide ambience when dark outside.

One of my go to processes of figuring out the problem/solution is looking through Pinterest pictures and YouTube videos on room ideas and color.

For instance, when I ran across Jeremy Siers video below a few years ago… THAT was the moment, I knew what to do with the walls.
BOTTOM LINE: Go with your gut and what you like… give it shot. Paint is cheap.

Here is my organized chaos…

IMG_2003.jpeg
IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

It's hard to tell, but those look more like violet/indigo on my screen, not the garden variety blue everything is painted these days. I would definitely go with a pure tone pigment over a mixture-based color. Especially if sunlight is involved mixture pigments will change overtime or with viewing conditions. Not music room oriented. Don't forget to take into account how it will interact with your skin tones. The one room in my house I painted was the bathroom, it was a red color made me look awful in the mirror.

If lighting is an issue , choose a lite color. I am a blue guy so a light blue, but not baby blue will suffice.

Okay, @Stroman. No fair changing the picture!! Now there's an antique clothes iron on the floor. But, FWIW, I still like the blue.

Well... there's always good old Bauhaus green, otherwise known as that pale institutional aqua green that was very mid-20th century. It was intentionally developed to enhance a feeling of tranquility in settings like offices and schools. It was used so often that it got to be kind of a clichechrome_screenshot_Jun 12, 2024 5_41_43 PM EDT~3.png

Last edited:
Okay, @Stroman. No fair changing the picture!! Now there's an antique clothes iron on the floor. But, FWIW, I still like the blue.
That's so funny you noticed! I figured nobody would.

I couldn't decide which to use. The first was a better representation of the wall color, but I liked the pose on the second better.

Maybe when I get home I'll add the other ones back in! Lol

(Goofy note - the antique iron doesn't bother me being there, but the Bo and music stand in the corner of the other pic bothered me. One day I might edit them out, lol.)

@Smoke - original pic is restored. Whew! ;)

@Bo Eder - sometimes white is the way to go, but I still love blue best.

This pic probably does the best job of capturing the true color of that room in sunlight and a bit of shadow. I really did love that shade of blue, and I hope to have it again.

Attachments

• Blue.JPG
    Blue.JPG
    519.9 KB · Views: 10
hmm beige

😄

Back