Pain with indexfinger

hello dear drummerworld fellows,

it's been quite sometime since I've written anything in this forum. But recently I had to stop drumming. now that I've started again (actually this problem was there before I stopped too), I've been noticing that if I play drums for just a couple of minutes the the part between the first and second joint on my index finger starts to hurt and tires fast (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say). My grip style is somewhat the french grip, but the drumstick lies in that position that starts to hurt after a while. It's really the only thing that hurts and I say for a "beginner" I am somewhat loose.
any ideas on how to solve this?

thanks in advance for the answers :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I am assuming you are playing matched grip. Or the right hand on the traditional grip. Are you giving the stick the death grip? Or just playing too hard? Playing rim shots?

toddy

Platinum Member
yeah, like gruntersdad said you might be gripping too hard. btw you should turn your hand so your palm faces down, there is no reason to play with french grip. out of interest, do you get small blisters on your fingers when you play?

can you possibly upload a close-up video of your hand/fingers while you play? (even a poor quality one).

hey there,

thanks for the replies. the other weird thing is that it's only the right index finger that hurts, but there are no blisters. I'm not really sure if I'm gripping to hard, how do I know that? no rim shots played and I'd say that I'm really a soft hitter compared to other guys (I've been recorded once and compared to a friend, he played much louder/heavier and he doesen't have the problem). and well, I'm not really sure what grip I'm playing, but it's either french of matched (my palm is not really facing down, that's why I said french grip at first).

I'm sorry but I can't record myself playing at the moment, tomorrow maybe!

toddy

Platinum Member
yeah, matched would be facing down (which is why i knew your palm wasn't facing down hehe). that's really strange though, have you seen a health professional about your finger before? does it hurt when you are away from the drums too?

i'm really not too sure on this matter, but i definitely wouldn't leave it alone. get yourself checked and you'll save yourself trouble in the future i'm sure. if you possibly can then go and get a lesson with a good quality teacher to see if they can offer any insight! good luck :)

topgun2021

Gold Member
2 things:

1)
yeah, matched would be facing down (which is why i knew your palm wasn't facing down hehe).
I have never heard anyone say that matched has to be in the German grip.

2) I sprained my right index knuckle really bad a few years ago and sometimes I still get a little pain. If it hurts bad enough to make you stop, I would get it checked. The finger could just be weak from recovering from some sort of injury too.

toddy

Platinum Member
2 things:

1)

I have never heard anyone say that matched has to be in the German grip.
you probably haven't, i mainly relate things to the way that i play, sorry. obviously you can play matched grip with french grip, i used to play french grip myself! :)

i hope that didn't offend you?

nope!
no pain when I'm away from the drums, nor when I play bass or guitar. This is something that has to do with the way a hold the stick and as I said it's only on the right index finger. But I really can figure out what. maybe I'll get a recording done today to show you guys.

Boomka

Platinum Member
Everyone's hands are different, so comparing them to your mate's won't necessarily help. It sounds to me like a tension issue. Usually what many of my students consider "loose" and what I consider "loose" are radically different things. I would recommend two things: 1) Start warming up before you launch in at full bore: Five to 10 minutes of light, easy, not-to-fast playing on one surface before you get on to doing anything else. Take this time to focus on really feeling what's happening inside your hands. Your nervous system can give you better feedback than anyone observing from the outside. 2) Find yourself a good teacher in your area to help you with your grip and mechanics.

topgun2021

Gold Member
you probably haven't, i mainly relate things to the way that i play, sorry. obviously you can play matched grip with french grip, i used to play french grip myself! :)

i hope that didn't offend you?
Well, it isn't the most accurate comment.

hi guys,

good news. I've seemed to figure out the problem. though I still have no recording for you to see, the last time I sat down and played, I paid more attention to my fingers. I tried to hold the stick between the 3 joint of my indexfinger and my thumb, my palm facing downards. then I tried to loosen up, and guess what, after about 20 min. of playing I felt no pain! so I guess it was matter of tension and my technique (holding the stick).

thanks everyone!

toddy

Platinum Member
Well, it isn't the most accurate comment.
luckily for me i've never pretended to post accurate comments here :)

that is very good to hear raphael, i did have a suspicion it could be something like that. do make sure to get it checked if you experience any more pain though! i also totally agree with boomka, a teacher would help you a lot!
good luck man!