Paice VS Bonham

Bonz0

It's all about styles, I personally prefer Bonham because I love the amazing feel, the genious grooves he developed and the power of his playing I just find it incredible, he's by far the greatest influence in my drumming. In the other hand i find Paice as an equally succesful drummer with his own opinion of playing and I think that is what makes them such a great drummers, they managed to do what others couldn't do and I respect them for what they've apported to drumming.

jjmason777

If I HAD to choose, I'd say I prefer Bonham, but I enjoy Paice's drumming too. Most importantly, I can LEARN things from BOTH of them!

I have always said, that I can even learn something from a drummer who's only been playing a short time, because there may be SOMETHING he or she does well, and I'll think; "Wow, I wish my (insert rudiment, fill, beat or phrase here) sounded that good."

And I've been playing for over 34 years!

donv

Silver Member
They were both phenoms of their day, but I don't see it as one or the other. What I do see is that John Paul Jones and John Henry Bonham was a dynamic duo where they made each other better players and I doubt they'll ever be bested. Glover was a good player, but a hundred other bass players could have filled his shoes.

Last edited:
R

Royal

I am not bashing Bonham here by any stretch, just being objective. Does anyone here feel that Ian Paice was technically better than Bonham?
Yes I do.

Ian Paice early influences were from the the Buddy Rich approach But;
My favourite drummer is Ian Paice.
I also think JB playing is great.

What's best? Tea or Coffee?
Motor bike or Car?
Helicopter or fixed wing?

Sorry...that's a bit of a rant.
It amazes me that anyone with the slightest knowledge(if that's the word)of drumming would even ask that question.

I admire both. The thing is that for me I enjoy most of Led Zeppelin's music, not so for Deep Purple. I can sort of play along with Bonham, but I find Ian Paice too fast for me to follow and so I play to Led most often.

supermac

This is the sort of argument I used to have at school.

Years later you realise it's nonsense.

Both are great, massively influential, but different players.

It's like saying who's the best, Al Pacino or Robert Di Nero, Tyson or Ali, Bach or Beethoven.

Thaard

Platinum Member
Each to his own. Ian Paice had more finesse, while Bonham had more raw power. Each fitting perfectly to their respective bands.

Discussion like these are stupid imo.

W

wy yung

Am I in a time warp? Hang on, let me check. According to my pc it is September 18. 2009, 12.37 pm.

Phew, for a second I thought it was 1978. I hated 1978! The 70's sucked so bad. Long haired hippies wearing flip flops and flairs and UGG BOOTS! No no no no, not the ugg boots!

;-)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Am I in a time warp? Hang on, let me check. According to my pc it is September 18. 2009, 12.37 pm.

Phew, for a second I thought it was 1978. I hated 1978! The 70's sucked so bad. Long haired hippies wearing flip flops and flairs and UGG BOOTS! No no no no, not the ugg boots!
Hello?? Did someone call? I loved the 70s! I didn't have ugh boots, though, just sunnies, torn jeans, cheesecloth tops and electric-shock hair:)

W

wy yung

Hello?? Did someone call? I loved the 70s! I didn't have ugh boots, though, just sunnies, torn jeans, cheesecloth tops and electric-shock hair:)

Bad decade for me.

As for the subject at hand? Drumming is not, or should not be a competition. Paice and JB were two different people playing their own styles. How can they really be compared?

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Blackmore, being the hiring and the firing guy in the band, Paice suited best for his style.
I dont think Blackmore would keep Bonham for longer if he ever hires him.
Both were perfectly fit in their own bands, cause Purple and Zeppelin cannot be compared.
That is really the only answer. On a side note I like the way Paice always keeps his hi-hat in motion.

RollingStone000

Silver Member
Coming from a hip-hop fan (real hip-hop, not that crap on MTV). Bonham all the way. Hip-hop wouldn't exist if it weren't for Zeppelin's fat grooves.

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

;-)
Somebody in this thread is speaking some sense.

RollingStone000

Silver Member
Okay, as much as I love Bonham, that's too much credit. Ever heard of James Brown?
Good point, however I don't think there were a whole lot of early James Brown tunes that would've worked with hip-hop. For example, I don't think "Night Train" (an early song) wouldn't work all that well, but "The Payback" (later in his career) could be cut up in countless ways. However with Zeppelin, I think over their entire catalog of music there's something from the first album to the last album that fits with in a hip-hop context.

Don't get me wrong, I was born in the 80's so most of this stuff is way before my time so I'll have to plead to a certain level of naivety. But if I'm wrong, by all means lay it on me man.

In response to the original question and despite the fact that the majority of the posts simply wasted space by saying that the question was not fair somehow, I'd like to throw in something. I agree that both gentlemen have the goods, no question and both are in my top 5 list (ranked 1 and 2).

But, I will say that some of the things which attracted me to Paice's sound such as the intricate and flavored hi-hat work and the exceptional drum recording quaility certainly stand out. Purples music also seems to have more "space" in it allowing the drum bits to fully come forth. This might seem to make Paice appear to be the better technician but I believe that would be a mistake.

For JHB, it was the groove where the mastery was evident and I believe was not as evident until you picked the music apart and found the subtleties that were lost at first blush. Zep's music sort of grows on you and the level of appreciation continues to improve with each hearing. Just look at "Fool in the Rain" for it's technical groove wizardry.

I've heard several young drummers make the comment that Bonham is not that great but upon further study tend to retract that position. So at the end of the day, I believe that Paice may seem to stand out at first but with careful evaluation one can see at least the same level of technical capabilities in Bonham.

Morbid Koala

Watching Ian slinging sticks with Purple on 'Speed King' in a 1970 live video sums up why I dig his style. He's so relaxed and rapid fire on the rolls. I can see how he would be a huge influence.

That being said, Bonham's style sticks out like a sore thumb (in a good way). You could play a few different drummers that sounded like Ian or Bonham but you would instantly recognize Bonham in a heartbeat.

Did Ian play a 24" kick?