Pad Work on Speed/middle-finger fulcrum

Blue

I've been trying to learn the middle-finger fulcrum and have have some difficulty getting it to feel comfortable, but I just figured it out a few days and wanted to record it. My speed has been getting so incredible lately, I wanted to share it with you all and see what you thought. Thanks!!

Curt

p.s. There is time to it, you just have to try to find the 'one,' which even for myself, isn't easy. When I was playing, I could have sworn it was easy to find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kira5dzyli8

edit: I added this second solo to a subsequent post on this thread, but I am going to put it here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeHieV-6ghM

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Very impressive and relaxed. Great sounding kit too. I especially like the steel tube ride!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Nup. Can't find the one. Never mind, you actually make padwork look like fun and it all sounds good to me.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Great work, man. I always check out your posts as we've had many of the same issues.

I went to middle-finger fulcrum a couple of years ago and find that my playing is overall much more loose and relaxed. It seems easier to accept the rebound and control the stick w/ this type of grip. The trick, like any grip I suppose, is utilizing the back two fingers.

Great vid, thanks for sharing!

Blue

I'm not even sure if I'm doing the middle-finger fulcrum correctly, but I seem to have found a way that's comfortable. I basically extend my middle-finger out, keeping that space open. Also, I think it is important that the pad of your thumb is directly on the stick, and not sliding to the side of the stick, which I find happens when I use a regulur fulcrum. Is this right? Overall, the speed with the middle-finger and control seems great, and it seems more precise, but I haven't actually tried it on a real drum, since I've been traveling abroad in Australia and have made leaps and bounds on my technique in the last two months since I've been here, staying in a youth hostel. My roomates don't seem to mind when I play. Actually, I put two of them to sleep. They said it was relaxing (?)... okay.

The back two fingers are really important in every grip? Is that true? Why? I didn't know that. I suppose the answer would be that they give the most control since those fingers are farthest from the fulcrum? I think I saw that on a youtube lesson.

Also, on the middle-finger, are you holding the stick at the first or second knuckle? Does it matter? There seems to be so many ways to do this. I guess as long as you're getting a rebound, it feels comfortable, and you're not hurting yourself, it's probably fine.

Thanks for your replies :) Cheers

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'm not even sure if I'm doing the middle-finger fulcrum correctly, but I seem to have found a way that's comfortable. I basically extend my middle-finger out, keeping that space open. Also, I think it is important that the pad of your thumb is directly on the stick, and not sliding to the side of the stick, which I find happens when I use a regulur fulcrum. Is this right? Overall, the speed with the middle-finger and control seems great, and it seems more precise, but I haven't actually tried it on a real drum, since I've been traveling abroad in Australia and have made leaps and bounds on my technique in the last two months since I've been here, staying in a youth hostel. My roomates don't seem to mind when I play. Actually, I put two of them to sleep. They said it was relaxing (?)... okay.

The back two fingers are really important in every grip? Is that true? Why? I didn't know that. I suppose the answer would be that they give the most control since those fingers are farthest from the fulcrum? I think I saw that on a youtube lesson.

Also, on the middle-finger, are you holding the stick at the first or second knuckle? Does it matter? There seems to be so many ways to do this. I guess as long as you're getting a rebound, it feels comfortable, and you're not hurting yourself, it's probably fine.

Thanks for your replies :) Cheers
I posted some pics here, when I first started using the middle finger for the fulcrum:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43960

It's a weird angle and I've improved a lot since...but you get the idea. Without the back two fingers, you'd have to grip too hard at the fulcrum and you'd have far less control over the stick. I had pretty severe tendonitis problems until I figured this out and got it working well enough.

I hold the stick at the first knuckle of the middle finger and the pad of the thumb. The stick rests on the tips of the last two fingers and works to help control the rebound and propel the stick. The index finger just basically hangs out in front and stays out of the way of the rebound, while also helping control by keeping it in line.

My drum teacher keeps pushing me to practice smaller and smaller movements and move the stick further down toward the tip of the middle finger. I find this really uncomfortable but I can see where this would help build control for smaller movements.

Francis

Hey! interresting!

great pad work!

I'm always looking at hands of drummer if they play with the middle finger fulcrum. Not seen too much played that way... curious to know if here on DW's there's lot of drummer using the middle as fulcrum!?

My 2nd teacher show me that way, since then I play middle most of the time. Feel more relax that way. It's like "dribbling" with sticks...

Blue

Great work, man. I always check out your posts as we've had many of the same issues.

I went to middle-finger fulcrum a couple of years ago and find that my playing is overall much more loose and relaxed. It seems easier to accept the rebound and control the stick w/ this type of grip. The trick, like any grip I suppose, is utilizing the back two fingers.

Great vid, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Zambizzi! I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, and it was such a small thing, sort of...

For Some reason, when I got very serious about drumming about three years ago, I got this idea in my had that the butt of the stick had to go in the crease of the palm, and couldn't hit on the of the pad off to the side, which is a completely unnatural position because you force your fingers to keep the stick there... therefore my wrist was absorbing too much of the shock, the stick wasn't able to bounce, my sound was terrible, it caused me to feel unbalanced at the drumset because I had to contort my arm movement to hit the drum, making my groove way off, and I eventually started to hate the drums, because I couldn't play nearly as well I wanted to and was always obsessing about how to fix the problem instead of on the music I was playing. I love the drums more than anything in love, so this was very troubling for me all-around. I had no idea you could stick grip the normally... just pick up the stick, letting the stick go across the hand, and rest on the 'stop', the pad off to the side of the hand, and play that way, just letting the stick bounce. Since I realized this epiphany about four months ago, my drumming has improved leaps and bounds, it feels good again, my life has entirely changed, I am now motivated and confident that I can be a succesful professional drummer and can help people with my drumming, or at least, just simply enjoy myself on the drums, which means more to me than anything. To play the drums again without thought, pain... is wonderful. I play the pad everyday now, and it seems everytime I do, I realize something else about my technique and grip that allows me to play cleaner, faster,.more powerful, softer, better toucher, more precise... I love the drums again. That's it. Thanks for all of your support. I can't wait to practice again. Even practicing on the pad for me is fun as hell.

This is correct about the stick laying across the hand right? Going from corner to corner if you considered the palm a square, not with the stick going down the middle of the palm inbetween that crease. I already what I have figured out is right, because it works for me, and I never want to go back to playing with the stick going down the crease again. Never have I been so unhappy as when was playing like that. Thanks for all of your support. I finally made it out of that technical pitfall, and am back to just drumming because I love it and it feels great. Fantastic! Peace. I will be posting more as hopefully my progress continues. In fact, I'll post another pad solo I did right now. I hope you like. I realized in this one, that to keep the whole pad of the thumb on the stick is SUPER important, and not let it go off to the side, even when doing a normal fulcrum. Dave Weckl in "Back to Basics" said it right when he said that otherwise, you lose all finger control, and I believe this applies even to German and American grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeHieV-6ghM