Pacific suspension mount problem...

tbmills

Gold Member
this afternoon i decided to clean my drums and check the bearing edges for level and round and found something crazy... more like stupid. the edges were level but not perfectly round. the 10" tom came with the pacific suspension mount that hugs 4 out of 6 of the batter side lugs. this mount wasnt round. i took off the four lugs that supported the mount only to find that the mount itself spread out to 11" when it wasnt attached to the drum. this tension has pulled my drum slightly out of round (by like 1/8"). not the biggest problem but still really dumb. also, because of its design, when the mount pulls on the two opposite lugs, it makes those two tension rods feel too tight. this makes tuning rather difficult, since i tune mainly by the feel of the key.

check it out.
tom_1.jpg

look how hard the mount is pushing the far lug.
tom_2.jpg

i bent the mount fairly easily to where there is no pressure on the outside lugs and also rotated the mount onto different lugs. i also managed to make the drum a little more round with some slight pressure.

this just seems like something that is too obvious for a drum company to miss. shame.

WOW! that is a bummer....

I can see how this would be missed with these type of mounts since the dampeners are flush with the shell.

I have the old style mounts on my CX which are easy to check for proper fit. Sorry I don't have a suggestion. But, I have most definitely learned a good lesson from your post to check my mounts on my new Platinum when I get it.

when you get it, just check and see if the mount is touching the rod reciever. if it is, just take the lugs off and gently squeeze the mount into a more round shape. even thought my drum isnt perfectly round (its less than 1/16" out now) there hasnt really been any problems in the sound. it did, however make the two tension rods feel tighter than they actually were, messing with my tuning. now the mount not doesnt touch the rod receiver when resting. it is no longer a problem just something people should know about these mounts and other similar ones.

Bummer.

I ordered an STM mount for my 14" DW floor tom so I could mount it as a rack tom as well as a floor tom. When I got the mount, it was pretty out of round. I had to take some time to bend it into shape before mounting it on the tom. Pretty weird I thought, but I just shrugged it off. I wonder if what happened to your Pacific shell would happen to a DW shell (with reinforcing rings)???

Wow, thats ridiculous. Thank's for letting me know man. Hopefully I won't have that problem with my new Platinum's. I'll be sure to let you know when I get the tom.

Bummer.

I ordered an STM mount for my 14" DW floor tom so I could mount it as a rack tom as well as a floor tom. When I got the mount, it was pretty out of round. I had to take some time to bend it into shape before mounting it on the tom. Pretty weird I thought, but I just shrugged it off. I wonder if what happened to your Pacific shell would happen to a DW shell (with reinforcing rings)???

probably not but maybe. that type of thing is goos to check before you just slap it on...

Back