Overwhelmed with Paiste options

greenstar323

I have nothing against Paiste, but I happen to own all zildjian and sabian cymbals. Im just more familiar with their offerings. I often go to the local places to try out cymbals and find myself liking some Paiste stuff. Particularly 602 crashes, giant beat rides, and 2002 hats (although I can't afford the 602 line new holy cow!)

I'm familiar with the 2002 series and giant beats. I've heard of the Rude line.... but oh my gosh when I went online just now to search used inventory on ebay and GC I am completely overwhelmed by the millions of cymbal lines they offer! 602, 502, 2002, giant beat, alpha, pst3, signature this, the black and red cymbals, blue label something or other, 3000, rude.... I'm sure I'm missing some.

Can I get a flow chart?

I've noticed that myself, not that I'm interested in their products although was amazed at the overwhelming number of products. A few too many.

When I was a kid, maybe 12 my uncle gave me a 16" Paiste crash and a smaller splash of some sort. Where he got them from I have no idea although they were new. They sounded like crap, to me at least and this was around 1972 so I'm sure limited types were available, not like today. They were the last Paiste cymbals I ever tried. I'm sure they're better today.

I've noticed that myself, not that I'm interested in their products although was amazed at the overwhelming number of products. A few too many.

When I was a kid, maybe 12 my uncle gave me a 16" Paiste crash and a smaller splash of some sort. Where he got them from I have no idea although they were new. They sounded like crap, to me at least and this was around 1972 so I'm sure limited types were available, not like today. They were the last Paiste cymbals I ever tried. I'm sure they're better today.

Could have been a 60's era cymbal, pre Giant Beat. Prior to the Giant Beat, Paiste was known as the cymbals that drummers in Europe played because they couldn't afford Zildjians.

I follow Bonzoleum on YouTube and sometimes he talks about Paiste and how back in the day they made every cymbal in every size possible lol....

Thanks for the link. I'll keep researching. It seems like the 602 is similar to A customs, but a heck of a lot more expensive and hard to come by used. I dig the giant beats a lot.

I've also heard that Paiste cymbals are pretty consistent in terms of like every 16" 2002 crash sounds almost exactly the same (for example) where Zildjian and Sabian you really have to hear the cymbal in person first. Is there any truth to that?

When I was a kid, maybe 12 my uncle gave me a 16" Paiste crash and a smaller splash of some sort. Where he got them from I have no idea although they were new. They sounded like crap, to me at least and this was around 1972 so I'm sure limited types were available, not like today.

They had number of lines through the 60's. Some were exquisite and well sought after (pre serial 602, early GB) and some were tinny or dull (Ludwig 'Standards') made especially to be sold with some drum sets of the day. You likely heard a Standard.

I've also heard that Paiste cymbals are pretty consistent in terms of like every 16" 2002 crash sounds almost exactly the same (for example) where Zildjian and Sabian you really have to hear the cymbal in person first. Is there any truth to that?

Definitely, it's one of Paiste's best characteristics.

I think Paiste's whole mantra is to provide any sound a percussionist might fancy, and through the decades they've certainly done this. It is very cool. It's just a shame that when I listen to recordings, you don't hear a lot of variety out there. And it kind of breeds a complacency too because people who emulate the recordings (like me on a cover band gig) don't tend to stray too far from the norm that they would be making money with.

But it's nice to know there's all these options just within one company, let alone looking the six that are big now.

You name it, I've owned it over the years, but for me the 2002 range is unsurpassed.

The choice is bewildering on first look but ...

Separate the B20s (old 602s, Signatures from the 80s) ....
From the B8 formula (2002s, Giant Beats, RUDEs). 2002 are rock classics, RUDEs are punk classics, if you are into that sort of thing. John Bonham-tastic.
All the other cheaper ranges are cheap B8s.

In my mind, people like Paiste pies because of the B8 formula.

Don't be fooled by the "cheaper than Zildjian" argument - many top drummers including Bonham in the old days liked to use Paiste pies at various times - Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, Jeff Porcaro, people like that. Bill Bruford has used them since the early 70s I think.

The choice is bewildering on first look but ...

Separate the B20s (old 602s, Signatures from the 80s) ....
From the B8 formula (2002s, Giant Beats, RUDEs). 2002 are rock classics, RUDEs are punk classics, if you are into that sort of thing. John Bonham-tastic.
All the other cheaper ranges are cheap B8s.

In my mind, people like Paiste pies because of the B8 formula.

Don't be fooled by the "cheaper than Zildjian" argument - many top drummers including Bonham in the old days liked to use Paiste pies at various times - Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, Jeff Porcaro, people like that. Bill Bruford has used them since the early 70s I think.

Yea I absolutely love the whole classic rock vibe from Paiste. I was thinking of getting 2002 hats with 18" and 20" giant beats. Not sure what I want for a ride because the GBs are too washy and I don't think I like the 2002 ride. (FWIW I didn't like the GBs hats or 2002 crashes when I tried them in person.) There is a 2002 big beat ride... See there... EVEN MORE OPTIONS TO CONSIDER. WHYYYY.

Is there something lacking in the Zildjian/Sabian stuff you have, that you think you can find in Paiste?

Also, do you want to replace what you have now, or add to it with a different flavor.

Yea I absolutely love the whole classic rock vibe from Paiste. I was thinking of getting 2002 hats with 18" and 20" giant beats. Not sure what I want for a ride because the GBs are too washy and I don't think I like the 2002 ride. (FWIW I didn't like the GBs hats or 2002 crashes when I tried them in person.) There is a 2002 big beat ride... See there... EVEN MORE OPTIONS TO CONSIDER. WHYYYY.

I understand the pain, but I have had a look at the Giant Beats - it looks like they are looking for money from the Bonham fanboys.

It depends on how vintage you want your cymbals to be. I am not convinced by new "vintage" lines by any manufacturer - I think they are just after your hard-earned money.

Unless money grows on trees, I would stick to the classics. 2002 are super.

Paiste has a habit of discontinuing cymbal series and sometimes releasing new ones under the same name or the old ones under a different name which is why there is such a selection.

I'd suggest looking at the 602, 2002 and signature stuff for starters.

I've been looking at Paiste just to get something completely different from my current setup. I have xplosion hats, all a custom crashes, and a sweet ride. I've always like Paiste but never pulled the trigger on anything. 602s sound nice but I've never heard them in person and they are ridiculously expensive new. I haven't been able to find many used ones.

LOL to the bonham fan boy comment... I kind of wondered if that was paiste's intention but I genuinely do like the giant beat multis.

I went all Paiste a few years ago, after decades using Zildjian, and the Sabian. I still love the Zildjian and Sabian's I still have, but I actually don't even think about putting them up anymore.
There is a lot to choose from!

I love the 2002 CRASH (20-22 or 24" ) as a ride cymbal. It has more "wash" than the RIDE, but still a clear stick sound. A 2002 Medium CRASH would have even more of the stick sound within the whole sound of the cymbal.

I own, in 24", the 2002 CRASH, 2002 AVH Big Ride, 2002 RIDE, and the Giant Beat.
ALL of them have a small amount of the tone in common, but, the amount of sustain, attack, projection and pitch is different. They all feel good to play.

The RIDE sounds great, but it's not my favorite of the 24's. I just like the more washy type ride. It has a lot of body sound and clear stick sound, it just has the MOST out of all of them, and it's a bit much for what I like to play.

I am getting a few of the 2002 BIG BEAT cymbals in a couple weeks. 20-21-24 at this point.

Back