Overhead vocal mic stand for singing drummers

BruceW

I would appreciate getting some suggestions on brands/models of overhead mic stands for singing drummers. I haven't had a whole lot of success googling them, or checking the usual online sources. Perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology, or I'm looking for something that doesn't exist :)

I certainly seem to recall seeing photos and videos of drummers with a mic coming down in front of them from overhead, putting the stand itself behind them. Perhaps they are higher end professional items. Alternatively, maybe its just as simple as adding a gooseneck to a regular boom stand, I suppose, but I can't visualize that working as well as the ones I seem to recall seeing.

Thanks.

BruceW

I suppose that I should at least attempt the gooseneck option, before worrying too much, huh? :) I get to thinking about possible additions to my gear (especially now that Santa is asking for ideas) and then I go looking online to see what I can find.

I will try it. The mic stands we use have the round base, hopefully it won't get too "tippy". Thanks

alparrott

Platinum Member
I would appreciate getting some suggestions on brands/models of overhead mic stands for singing drummers. I haven't had a whole lot of success googling them, or checking the usual online sources. Perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology, or I'm looking for something that doesn't exist :)

I certainly seem to recall seeing photos and videos of drummers with a mic coming down in front of them from overhead, putting the stand itself behind them. Perhaps they are higher end professional items. Alternatively, maybe its just as simple as adding a gooseneck to a regular boom stand, I suppose, but I can't visualize that working as well as the ones I seem to recall seeing.

Thanks.
All it probably is, is a regular old boom microphone stand, possibly with a gooseneck added. Some folks link two goosenecks together for more flexibility - but that's it. Nothing arcane or obscure. If you're worried about it tipping, one trick is to slide a five or ten-pound weight from a dumbbell down the main tube to rest on the legs of the tripod.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I used a plain ol' boom stand for years. Basically the mic stand base/tripod was behind me and slightly to the left. I had the boom high enough where it came over my left shoulder and slanted down slightly. I did this for a long time. I was never comfortable with the idea of something hanging directly above my head. It was really easy to swing out of the way when not in use.

BruceW

I used a plain ol' boom stand for years. Basically the mic stand base/tripod was behind me and slightly to the left. I had the boom high enough where it came over my left shoulder and slanted down slightly. I did this for a long time. I was never comfortable with the idea of something hanging directly above my head. It was really easy to swing out of the way when not in use.

That's pretty much what I do now, but I still manage to get my left hand tangled up in it upon occasion. Just trying to be a little flashier once in awhile, I suppose. That, and I thought that I might save some room, maybe....seems like I'm always cramped to my left with the hat and mic stand, but that maybe if I could have it behind me....

Think I'll try the gooseneck and see. Thanks

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I too have a standard boom in from the left. The boom itself is level, and the mic is placed so that I face slightly left to sing into it. Gives me room to move away from the mic if I want. I recently played a few songs on someone's kit that had an overhead gooseneck arrangement - I found it horrible, kept hitting it whenever I leaned forward to played the toms.

Regarding the hihat - I've recently started placing the hats much lower, and deliberately playing on top rather than on the edge. I've raised my seat as well, so I have no issues with the mic getting in the way of the hats any more.

Attachments