Overhead Tripod to Record Drumming Videos of Myself?

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I am interested in recording myself drumming - I have already started doing this a bit, and it has helped my playing by leaps and bounds. I have seen several people post videos online of themselves drumming from an overhead point of view. Does anyone know how I can do this? Is there a tripod that lets you mount a camera/phone/whatever overhead?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I have a mic stand attachment for my Zoom Q2, so it mounts on a boom mic stand.
This^^

The mic stand attachment is a helpful tool. If you went to a professional shop and looked for boom-arm tripods for cameras, you will definitely be in the $500+ range. Whereas a quality mic stand that can hold a light camera, would only cost you a little over $100 - you can go cheaper, but you must be prepared if the stand fails when you least expect it!

Chunkaway

Silver Member
This^^

The mic stand attachment is a helpful tool. If you went to a professional shop and looked for boom-arm tripods for cameras, you will definitely be in the $500+ range. Whereas a quality mic stand that can hold a light camera, would only cost you a little over $100 - you can go cheaper, but you must be prepared if the stand fails when you least expect it!
Thanks Bo. I am assuming I can just put an adapter for a phone or a camera on the end of the mic stand. Is that correct?

johnwesley

Silver Member
Unless you're Keith Moon, Steve Moore or Mike Terrana I'm not sure why you'd want video of yourself. Most drummers just sit there and keep the beat, so what's to see?

jdsg

I've used one of these to mount all manner of cameras (including an SLR with a 300mm lens on it) and other photographic items. You'll see these on holding cameras on backboards in the NBA.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Unless you're Keith Moon, Steve Moore or Mike Terrana I'm not sure why you'd want video of yourself. Most drummers just sit there and keep the beat, so what's to see?
Two things- one, when I have recorded myself in the past, I have seen flaws in my technique that I had not noticed before. (For example, I did not realize I was not pulling the stick off the head when playing certain grooves, which was causing the snare to choke a bit.) Second, I am considering posting clips for a few drummers I work with overseas.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
These are likely overkill for your situation, but if you like things mounted securely, this is the way to go for a rock solid foundation.

Option 1: If you have a drop ceiling you can install a MSE scissors clamp on the ceiling framing directly over your kit and then use the appropriate adapters to attach and position your ZoomQ2.

Option 2: If you have a drywall ceiling you could screw a MSE Baby Plate through the sheetrock into a joist. Then rig your adapters for the camera as needed.

Option 3: Also a C-stand with a 40" Gobo area with a Hollywood Head could put the ZoomQ2 on the end of the Gobo arm with the appropriate adapters.

You could also use a boom mic stand with a 5-inch Revo handle mount in a stand mic clip set up overhead. This would be one the cheaper mounts but if your boom stand is subject to vibration the video image will likely be jittery.

Attachments

johnwesley

Silver Member
Two things- one, when I have recorded myself in the past, I have seen flaws in my technique that I had not noticed before. (For example, I did not realize I was not pulling the stick off the head when playing certain grooves, which was causing the snare to choke a bit.) Second, I am considering posting clips for a few drummers I work with overseas.
Okay then. Chunkaway my friend.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
These are likely overkill for your situation, but if you like things mounted securely, this is the way to go for a rock solid foundation.

Option 1: If you have a drop ceiling you can install a MSE scissors clamp on the ceiling framing directly over your kit and then use the appropriate adapters to attach and position your ZoomQ2.

Option 2: If you have a drywall ceiling you could screw a MSE Baby Plate through the sheetrock into a joist. Then rig your adapters for the camera as needed.

Option 3: Also a C-stand with a 40" Gobo area with a Hollywood Head could put the ZoomQ2 on the end of the Gobo arm with the appropriate adapters.

You could also use a boom mic stand with a 5-inch Revo handle mount in a stand mic clip set up overhead. This would be one the cheaper mounts but if your boom stand is subject to vibration the video image will likely be jittery.
Wow, that is definitely hardcore! I'm not sure my wife would go for installing something into the ceiling. I would LOVE it, but I'm not sure if that is feasible in our place. Thank you for the suggestions.

I'm going to check out that C-stand suggestion. Thanks again.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Also here are two cheaper mount options, one made by Zoom, and the other a generic camera mount in a standard mic clip.
The only thing if you use boom stands is to consider is how stable they are. If they are prone to vibration then your camera
image will be jittery.
Ah...those look good. I am worried about vibrations since the floor shakes a bit when I use a regular tripod.