Overhead mics for Glyn Johns setup

AModestRat

A buddy and I are undertaking a small recording project come November. It's mostly to practice recording and become familiar with studio work, but we're also hoping to get some of our music down on record and get it out online. I've always loved the Glyn Johns setup and it fits the sound we want, and I'm looking at buying some budget quality mics for it (always believed in quality>quantity). I'll be using a D112 on the kick.

Right now I'm looking at three mics: Rode NT5 pair, Audio-Technica AT4040, and CAD M179. Of the three, which would y'all recommend?

We've been allowed to use the college band room (very large and acoustically treated) for recording. We'll be doing a mix of jazz, blues, and a little bit of rock.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I have never cared for CAD mic's, and the small diaphragm on the NT5 isn't optimal for a two mic setup. So of those three I would go with the AT4040. I have never used one, but they should do exactly what you need. If money is an issue I would recommend the AT2020, which I actually have in my studio. For bedroom or small studio purposes it will do everything the 4040 will for half the price.

M

Matt Bo Eder

AT4040. But I love my AKG C214, that mic sounds good to me too.

Rosemarydrumco

The m179 is actually a fabulous microphone for toms, but I feel it's a little muddy as an overhead. What's your budget for the overheads?

Bonzodownunder

Get a hold of Rythmm? drum magazine from the UK,
There's a "special" issue on the 40th anniversary of the recording of Led Zeppelin IV (or "runes""/untitled 4th album,
Where they interview Glyn Johns&he describes both how the recording of "When the Levee Breaks" came about/developed&how he got that sound even mentioning the mikes (brands&models).

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
If you can get a ribbon mic - new or old - that's just about all you need... if you don't mind mono. :) Seriously, I've done some 1-mic recordings that are incredible (sorry, I don't have the tracks as proof...)

Now, it doesn't hurt to have a kick and snare mic in order to dial-in a perfect mix. But a ribbon mic placed at about 4 or 5 feet high and in front of the kit (maybe off to one side depending on configuration) will yield a very amazing mix and smooth fidelity on its own.

Bermuda

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Of the three mics the OP listed I'd go with the Audio-Technica AT4040.

That being said, in virtually the same price range I'd personally go with the Aston Origin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpsOBr5QDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QkPL8foQJ0

As Bermuda has pointed out a ribbon mic would be ideal.

Another option would be if you could borrow or rent an Audio-Technica AT-5045 as a single overhead along with your D112 on the kick.
The following video cuts between different options of mics, two of those options being the AT-5045 and the AT4040. Nice reference for those two mics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUx5Toi2VyU