Overhead micing recommendation with low ceiling on one side

robr

I wasn't thinking about this problem before I invested in some mics and now I'm not sure what to do.
I have an SM57 for the snare, an MXL A-55 for the kick and a pair of Rodes M5's for the overheads.

I mounted a bar on the ceiling running front to back (not shown in the pic) with a pair of 19" goosenecks but then realized there was no way to get any sort of equidistant height with them centered.

I'm considering mounting the bar on the slant above the snare and doing an XY and I'm also reading about something called Recorderman which I'm not familiar with.
Any recommendations? I cannot move the kit, there's a chimney smack in the middle of the room in the way and just to the left (out of the pic) is the kids' TV area with a bunch of furniture.

Thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

• 101396431_10223272612187556_8165295453231906816_o.jpg
    101396431_10223272612187556_8165295453231906816_o.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 26
When overhead space is nonexistent, you can do a 90-degree multi-pattern up front. I think a couple companies build this into a single mic now rather than having to line up two... Like the V44

thanks all, I started out with the set turned originally but my head hit the ceiling and i couldn't move the set far enough away because of the chimney. plus i like looking into the middle of the room where my kids would be when they're playing their instruments. it took a while just to find a way for the kit to fit at all, so i'm stuck where it is. I'll try the suggestions here and hopefully can get a reasonably decent sound

Have you tried the XY configuration? Mid-Side works great as well. Some people are using stereo "Underheads" these days. I personally use XY about 35" above the snare drum.

I haven't tried anything yet, mixer is still in the box, I'm just planning at this point. I have a ceiling mounted bar that the mics will attach to rather than using boom stands so I was trying to determine the best place to mount that. Seems like on the slant over the snare is the best place where I can try XY first. If that doesn't go well, then I'll get a single stand and try a couple of other techniques.

For the space you have, my suggestion is to change your kit around to a 4 or 5 piece with a tom tree and a double pedal. You should be able to practice anything with that setup. You may be averse to that but concessions have to be made. I'd make the bass drum reso face the angled ceiling, and back the kit up as far as you can behind the chimney. It really looks like you have the room to do that comfortably.

I have a really low ceiling in my space too, 6 foot 8 inches. and one thing I learned....I initially tried to get the overhead mics as far above my kit as I could, so the capsule ended up being as close to the ceiling as possible. This didn't provide good recorded results for me. What did provide good results was to have as much space as I could reasonably get between the mic and the ceiling.

Last edited:
There's more going on than you can see from the front. This is my fun kit, no compromises :p. My practice/gig kit is much smaller. There's no way I'm ever moving my fun kit anywhere.

Attachments

• 20200531_105045.jpg
    20200531_105045.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 19
I can't tell by the picture, but do you have any acoustic treatments on these walls? Reflections from boundaries into your mics could become an issue.
The bar mount seems to be a good idea for most miking configurations.

There's more going on than you can see from the front. This is my fun kit, no compromises

Mid-Side stereo is definitely what you want for that setup. Not enough headroom for XY/ORTF/Spaced. Not enough height above the snare for GJ/RM. Mid-side will give you stereo on the whole kit, and can be thought of as a poor-man's binaural.

Alternatively, move the whole kit to get more height above the snare.

Last edited:
I can't tell by the picture, but do you have any acoustic treatments on these walls? Reflections from boundaries into your mics could become an issue.
The bar mount seems to be a good idea for most miking configurations.

I had thought about that, but no treatments for now, I will cross that bridge if I have to. The wife acceptance factor is in play here unfortunately as this isn't a dedicated music room.

KamaK, mid/side stereo......... Thank you, I'll read up. First quick pass seems like I'll need to return my Rodes M5-MPs and replace them with the appropriate mics for an MS setup

KamaK, mid/side stereo......... Thank you, I'll read up. First quick pass seems like I'll need to return my Rodes M5-MPs and replace them with the appropriate mics for an MS setup

No problem. There are some inexpensive multi-pattern mics on the market. I think the P420 was the least-expensive-not-trash one that I encountered that had the SPL rating to handle drums.

In all the other stereo techniques (XY, Mid-Side, Blumlein, and yes, even "under" heads), the mic pointing at your hi-hat/crash will also be pointed at the ceiling to some extent. So you should still go for a spaced pair. In your situation, you want the null (the "back") of mic facing the ceiling, as much as possible, so that you minimize the sound reflections coming off of the ceiling. In all the other stereo techniques, the mic pointing at your hi-hat/crash will also be pointed at the ceiling to some extent. Even worse, those reflections will come into the mic off-axis, making them even more harsh sounding, since off-axis sounds are not as full and clean as on-axis sounds.

You're still going to pick up reflections off the ceiling, no way around it. You should probably add some acoustic foam to the ceiling. But even then it would be best if your mics are picking up as few ceiling reflections as possible.

I've been having good luck with 2 mics (one in front of the bass, one OH) , angled to minimize ceiling reflections. There's some work in placement, but when it's right, it's right. ;)

Stack 2 drumsticks one above other and add half the height of a third stick. If you have ceiling space above that then you're good to go for XY or even NOS miking techniques. You don't have to mount your overheads 55" or higher above the kit. Keeping them on the lower side can help prevent reflection effects. However, I would still treat thos walls and ceiling. Height adjustments will help with cymbal vs. drum balance. Experiment when you can.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention: Stack the sticks one over the other from the snare batter head. Also, if I had your space I would try XY, NOS, or ORTF slightly above my head with the mics behind me angled forward.

The good news is the angled ceiling will help a great deal with floor to ceiling nodes.

I would try "underheads". 1 mic 3-4' off the floor in front of the kit hihat side of the bass drum. A 2nd mic, same height, behind and to the right of the throne. The line between should run between the snare and kick more or less and be equidistant from the snare. This type of setup tends to be much more room specific so you will need to experiment with location and height of the mics

Back