Overhead mic help.

bradmapex

I'm interested in recording, and i want to start off small. I'm probably just gonna start off with 2 overheads, and maybe a kick mic depending on the cash at the time. Then get a snare mic in time. I am feeling either a Audix d6 or a shure sm52 on the kick. And either a Sennhieser e604, e609 or a shure sm57 on the snare. Opinions would be very helpfull on those. But ad for OH i have no idea what to get, I'm looking for somthing resonible price range about 100-120 each, or somthing cheaper, but i am looking for good sound and quality. Thanks for the help, b r a d .

mikeg

The SM57 is still a go-to snare Mic for many pros and they're affordable. I use a D-6 on my kick and it always sounds good. I use some older EV PL-9's for overheads.

WayneWickman

I agree with Shure that mic in order of...bass,snare,overheads,toms,hats.
My 2 cents..bass-D6, snare-SM57, overheads-2 large diaphram condenser (AT3035), toms-57's, hats-I don's mic, my overheads catch just fine.
W

slsgriffis

We use sm 57 snare, shure 52 kick, and two shure pg81 for overheads. The overheads sound pretty good-paid 90.00 for one and 111.00 for the other and it included the chord.

bradmapex

Thats guys, Ive been looking at the AT3035 and AKG Perception 170, but i also saw the AKG Perception 220, do think that could do the job? Thanks

bradmapex

Would the AKG Preception 220 work fine, b/c i'd prefer a large diaphram mic so it could double for vocals. Unless you could use a small diaphram for vocals? If so than im leaning toward the 170, thanks

Stoney

Try a factory matched pair of Octava 012's for overheads. I've got a pair and love em!

http://www.oktava-online.com/mk012.htm

They're cheap for what they are... even compared to Neumanns!

Make sure you go to a reputable dealer though as there are a lot of fake and dodgy ones out there!

WayneWickman

In general large diaphram condensers are more versitile. I just used my AT3035s to mic some acoustic strings and they worked great. Small diaphrams limits you to high frequency sources, where large works great for both low and high sources.