Over or Under

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Was watching an old I've Got A Secret program last night, and on the show was the All Women Jazz Band. The drummer was playing traditional grip, but was playing the left hand, snare, over top of the right hand hi-hat ride. Looked hard to do.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Sounds more like "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" TV show to me.

drumnut87

Was watching an old I've Got A Secret program last night, and on the show was the All Women Jazz Band. The drummer was playing traditional grip, but was playing the left hand, snare, over top of the right hand hi-hat ride. Looked hard to do.
was it viola smith by chance on the drums? if so, she was a great drummer <3

it does sound a bit complicated doing the ride pattern mind

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Were the hats extremely low, like snare height or less?

Just thinking of it feels uncomfortable, but watching it takes it to a whole 'nother level. I mean, hey, he obviously made it work for him, just like Hank Aaron originally batted cross-handed...but...

drumnut87

maybe it could be that the hi hat stands of the time didnt reach up high enough to cope with the 24/26/28 inch bass drum kits of the time and it was the closest they could get to being comfy at the time?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
maybe it could be that the hi hat stands of the time didnt reach up high enough to cope with the 24/26/28 inch bass drum kits of the time and it was the closest they could get to being comfy at the time?
Bingo.

Hi-hat stands came from "low boy" stands has the hats were originally only played with the foot, and not the stick.

Then someone got the idea to try to add a center pole to the low boy so one could reach the hats with a stick too.

But inventing the hi-hat came in stages.

The 1st hi-hats weren't all that high compared to the big bass drums of the time.