Outdated instruments

There is a rehearsal studio in the city near us that has multiple rooms, all equipped with a PA, 2 amps, bass amp and a basic drum set. One of those rooms had on old Ludwig kit (can't remember type) which has power toms. Never measured the depth, but i'm sure it's either 12x10 and 13x11 or 12x11 and 13x12 and a 16x16 tom.
At the time using 10x7 and 12x8" toms the difference (besides a totally different kit than my own) was huge; much more presence, resonance and open sound. For that post-grunge rock band i was in those worked like a charm!

I don’t see many headless guitars or basses at gigs these days. Steinberger was all the rage back in the early 90’s. Plus 5 and 6 string basses, 7 string guitars, and carbon fibre.
All out of fashion now, everyone wants Telecasters and P basses…
Have you seen the Strandberg headless guitars? Looks much nicer than the Steinberger:

bd6tct-18s-m-fv-bl_a-1.png

Have you seen the Strandberg headless guitars? Looks much nicer than the Steinberger:

View attachment 112569

was gonna say...you see a lot of these in the prog metal genres

it is ok looking...I could ever take the old Steinbergers seriously...even when Geddy was using them. They fellt like toys to me

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't both Marshall and Orange based on the Fender Bassman?

I think Marshall was developing at the same time? I don't really know much about Orange amps as I have never liked their sound

I saw someone post in another thread something along the lines of "outdated or not, I love my power toms" - Which I think is great. The passage of time and fads shouldn't influence how much you enjoy your instrument. However, it also got me thinking - Are other instruments affected by being "out of style" like drums are? I can't imagine many people caring what type of guitar you play at a gig - Maybe a warlock or a flying v would look out of place at some gigs, but overall it seems like drums are unfairly influenced by fads and the constant need to be "in fashion" with how they look.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this?
Is it just perspective bias because I know more about drums and drummers than any other instruments?
Am I just an elitist and do 99% of people not give a hoot about this?
I think that happens in every single thing there is (not just instruments).

But in brass instruments, for example, I think it's really out to have a shiny horn...better to have a vintage horn, or a vintage looking one.

Marshall stacks.
I've yet to talk to a guitar player who used to haul twin cabinets around with a huge wattage head just to have the look on stage not love how loud smaller rigs are.
It's amazing how technology has marched on to make our stage lives easier.
Not to mention organs and pianos.

North and Staccato drums. Completely impractical and outdated but I can't think of anyone who wouldn't love to play them!

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I’ve had a set of Staccatos since about 1980; still looking for the right gig to haul them out to. Large rental van will of course be required to transport the kik.

I like the new styles. I'm not rushing out to buy them, but yeah nice to see the kids getting something different. Especially cymbals, can't get enough sonic variation on those.

The Low Boy came back, I don't know why. For $200 you can go backwards in drum evolution. It would be like replacing all your cymbal stands with wire hook and rope.

The only thing I find useful is the ability to 'hi-hat' sitting-ish in Trilok Gurtu or in other percussion setups that are not drumset based and with a much easier travel. But with drumset, it's pretty dumb if you ask me.

Otherwise, play power toms if that is what someone loves and gets inspiration. But there are trends/fads that never stuck around for a reason.

I dare DW to make a remote cable version.

The passage of time and fads shouldn't influence how much you enjoy your instrument.
[looks at his piccolo snare]

%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%8F-thank-you.gif

Funny that, in China (where Western popular music have had its influence only since mid-80's), sellers often refer to the deep, power toms as 'retro' drums. Even earlier, 'vintage' drums are often referred to by their year of manufacture, and are often imported for personal use long after its manufacture.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I’ve had a set of Staccatos since about 1980; still looking for the right gig to haul them out to. Large rental van will of course be required to transport the kik.

And a road crew!

They look so much fun to play though!

Slightly on a tangent I was talking to a friend only yesterday about trends but more in the field of sound.
Listening to a modern Heavy Metal album I was struck by how the drums were about the attack and I visualised 10" & 12" toms and bass drums with tight batter heads triggering samples.
The drums and drumming in the early 80s may not have had the attack speed and precision of that specific album but they "sounded" like drums, probably because 12" & 13" toms of "standard" depth were at the heart of the kit along with bass drums tuned to shake the room.

Not neon, but this is on CL now.
Only description says: Beat up and played hard...300 OBO
Thats cool. Not really a fan of the spider webs. What I really want is a pink Bich.
346ce0761f9b9f21db5e53ede98dd21a.jpg
In the end there will be 6-7 guitars/bass hanging in the corner around the drums. Currently there is a black Mockingbird and a blue Ibanez Mikro bass.

So far most of my guitars are black except a gray bass and wood grain 12 string acoustic.
Just happened that way mainly because I didn't want the gawd-awful gold sparkle Les Paul and black was my only other option. My black strat, I bought used has the ugly tort pick guard. Gotta change that out.

Thats cool. Not really a fan of the spider webs. What I really want is a pink Bich.
View attachment 112619
In the end there will be 6-7 guitars/bass hanging in the corner around the drums. Currently there is a black Mockingbird and a blue Ibanez Mikro bass.

there is soooooo much 80's cool and awesome in that pic!!! I love it

Back