Our drummer needs assistance

Neal should be working on this problem and his band mates should tell him so in a kind way. You will spend a lot more time and energy on finding a solution than he would if he put his mind to it. He can ask us.
Ron, I am in total agreement on that. Just so you know, this has not been a long festering situation. We played our first official gig as a band last Saturday and aside for Neal’s struggles, which really weren’t noticed by the audience, it was a smashing success. As I mentioned in an earlier thread I had an open and frank and kind conversation with him today and it seemed to go well. Peace.

Ron, I am in total agreement on that. Just so you know, this has not been a long festering situation. We played our first official gig as a band last Saturday and aside for Neal’s struggles, which really weren’t noticed by the audience, it was a smashing success. As I mentioned in an earlier thread I had an open and frank and kind conversation with him today and it seemed to go well. Peace.
Neal has been one of those friends in my life where it tests your ability to be compassionate and a good listener. He mirrors those things back at me that I need to work on.

You know, I have one of those. I am on it.
I am getting to the point where I feel, much more of this and I’ll become his enabler. Not gonna happen. Letting him fail is an option, but at what cost to the band. I’m not there yet and, darn it, he’s a good drummer and singer.
Hard to let that go.

Like others have said... You're a good dude for trying to help Neil but ultimately it's his problem; not yours.

I have been in similar situations. Most of the time it involves band members not bringing necessary items to outdoor gigs: bug spray, drinking water, sun screen, warm clothes, 9v batteries, ear plugs, etc. Sometimes I share. Other times, I let them struggle.

Pain is a wonderful teacher.

I've supplied 9v batteries, screwdrivers, xlr cables, drinks, food etc to other band members to keep them going. It's all part of the fun. So as a drummer who doesn't sing I have a music stand (to my left) that takes my tablet for set list plus synopsis of each song. It's a nice crutch for when this old farht has brain fade. I have perfect 20/20 vision.....with contact lenses.... but need reading glasses as well.

This to be sure! I could never understand singers who can learn the words!!
I can't understand most singers regardless of whether or not they can learn the words lol

I've supplied 9v batteries, screwdrivers, xlr cables, drinks, food etc to other band members to keep them going. It's all part of the fun. So as a drummer who doesn't sing I have a music stand (to my left) that takes my tablet for set list plus synopsis of each song. It's a nice crutch for when this old farht has brain fade. I have perfect 20/20 vision.....with contact lenses.... but need reading glasses as well.
I do have guitar picks, 1/4" cables and xlr cables in my gear bag...I fully intend on having a capo and a slide in there soon, too. Love my guitar player, but when we're two hours away from anything at a gig and he forgot something....(doesn't happen often, fortunately)

man, I could not even imagine going on stage without stuff memorized and prepared to play; growing up, that was HUGE requirement of getting and keeping a gig...even in "friend" bands. The Greatest Shame was cancelling or finking out on a gig. The Second Greatest one was having to use music on stage (in a non-orchestral setting...and even then, in my circles, you memorized if you could...)

could you and him do some extra practices w here you just repped small chunks? Like song A, verse 1 over and over untill it is memorized?

it seems like sort of a "no-duh" kind of thing, but repping is the key to memorization. Bands that i see and help with in situations like this are always guilty of not repping enough

just a thought

I can't understand most singers regardless of whether or not they can learn the words lol
I certainly agree. I make it a point to run through the lyrics on a daily basis. I also have my ipad there on stage if i need to jog my memory. It typically takes just a quick glance to get me back on track.

I play in a four piece blues and rock band in west central AZ. Our drummer, Neal, and I share the singing duties. I have switched over to an ipad for storing my sheet music; Neal has not. His eyesight is not that great, so I have been enlarging the font on the lyrics/chord charts and putting it all in bold. He sets his music on a stand sometimes alongside of him and sometime out in front of his kit. Our last gig he struggled seeing the music to the point of my having to step in on the vocals. I wish he would memorize the damn music, but that’s Neal. Anyway, I saw a drummers clip on stand for the electronic drum rack and he purchased one. Apparently, it did not work for him. He said he had no room on the rack where it would not be in the way. Does anyone have some ideas that I might offer up to him. Much appreciated.
So what happened? Don't leave us hanging man!

I use a separate music stand. I set it so it sits over the back half of the high hat. I have an ipad holder that attaches to the music stand. The ipad works as a metronome and set list. If you want to read lead sheets on the ipad, you need the pro version. It's much larger.
I got the ipad attachment at Guitar Center, they have a bunch to choose from. There's also a pedal that will "turn" the pages on the ipad screen, so you have both hands free.
If you just use the music stand, you can enlarge the pages, making it a bit easier for the vision impaired.
Good Luck!

Back