OUCH!!! $@&!%*! - The Injury Report

The Colonel

Silver Member
Okay, so there are now - literally - one billion threads on here about carpel tunnel and arthritis. I didn't know there were that many drummers in the world.

But what about the other stuff? The stupid stuff? The "Sorry I screwed up the last B section - my thumb is somewhere in the 3rd row" ?

I type this with a large chunk of skin/flesh having been ripped off my left pointer-finger knuckle. The knuckle that says "Good luck, Band-Aid!" We were working on a new song last night (White Stripes meets Good/Bad/Ugly by way of Wolfmother) and I go into this ridiculous over-the-top fill and my hi-hats decided they were feeling a little feisty and jumped out and got me.

Kept playing - while suddenly thinking about the Rocky movies ("No pain!") - that wasn't working, btw - and when we get done I see that I had ripped off most of the knuckle's skin - a little bit of flesh - and there was blood all over the snare head (gonna get so much street cred now with the dark metal overlords out there)

Surely I'm not alone.

Heck - I was doing a BBC session a long time ago and doing all this "extended technique" (ie crazy weird stuff to make crazy weird sounds) with one of my cymbals that is just a jagged razor blade at this point - and by the end of the song my hands looked like the dude from Fargo in the woodchipper...

Any horrible stories?

wolfgang

Ouch.

Not so much recently, but when I was newer to drumming and the whole "hand-eye coordination" thing, I would sometimes find myself looking down at a snare head covered in blood, not realizing that it was from when I hit my hand on the hats are crash moments before. You think it's nothing and ignore it, but you could end up with a real mess on your hands. (And your snare!)

somedrummer

Gold Member
I recall in high school we would march from the school to the football stadium to a cadence, about a 25 minute march. On at least one occasion, within a matter of minutes I would hit my right index finger on one of the heads of the tension rods, tearing out a big chunk of flesh and causing some bleeding. But in that situation, you can't stop. You must keep playing. And when you get to the stadium, you stand at attention until you are allowed into the stands, sometimes another half hour. So I wasn't even really allowed to look at my injured limb for almost an hour after it had happened. And boy, did it hurt...

JT1

Silver Member
Well it's a common thing to hit your finger, i've done it on crash's and hi-hats and not realise till i'm finished playing and there would be blood everywhere. One funny but painful injury i had, i was doing a drum solo on my 20th birthday and it was in the middle of my bands set, i must have brought my stick back up too far from the snare and hit myself full on in the eye. That was painful but i had to keep my composure and finish it (and by the way i'm not in favour of drum solos i realise they can be boring but i was pressured into it). Another funny moment that has never happened since. we were on our last song of the set and we were doing a big finish strumming and hitting anything within reach when i reached up to come crashing down on the cymbals and i must have pulled an ab cause my God the pain was severe. I think i sat for 20 minutes after that trying to get my strength back....ah good times lol

B

Big_Philly

A blister on my thumb from playing djembé, had a few clumsy moments. The bad part was I still had a lot more playing to do when I found out. But I padded it with a band-aid and played a little extra careful. The problem was that every now and then my thumb hit the rim of the djembe; my technique isn't up to par yet.

The Colonel

Silver Member
JT1 - Yeah man. I've *totally* hit myself in the face with the sticks - not right in the eye. The face didn't realize how much the limbs seemed to want to pull back and pop! One time, during a rehearsal with my old band, I popped myself in the face - was totally surprised and shocked more than hurt - and tumbled/jumped backwards off my stool into my cases and snapped a cymbal in half that'd been leaning against the wall. The bassist nearly soiled himself laughing at me...

JT1

Silver Member
JT1 - Yeah man. I've *totally* hit myself in the face with the sticks - not right in the eye. The face didn't realize how much the limbs seemed to want to pull back and pop! One time, during a rehearsal with my old band, I popped myself in the face - was totally surprised and shocked more than hurt - and tumbled/jumped backwards off my stool into my cases and snapped a cymbal in half that'd been leaning against the wall. The bassist nearly soiled himself laughing at me...
Oh man sorry that is the worst of luck but sounds hilarious too! Believe me you don't want to hit yourself in the eye it aint exactly a pleasurable experience, i was left with a battle scar too! A nice bruise just under my eye lid but i guess these things happen. Bass drum beaters hitting you in the shins isn't exactly nice too though those days are long gone for me!

The Colonel

Silver Member
Fortunately the cymbal was a "junker"

My chunk-o-finger-gone is just starting to heal up. Neo-sporin (sp?) isn't quite giving me the Wolverine-esque healing powers I was hoping for.

JT1

Silver Member
Fortunately the cymbal was a "junker"

My chunk-o-finger-gone is just starting to heal up. Neo-sporin (sp?) isn't quite giving me the Wolverine-esque healing powers I was hoping for.
lol so has this hindered your performance at all? By the way i checked your myspace, really interesting drumming, i like it.

Chonson

One thing that is unmatched for cuts on hands is liquid band-aid. Don't get the name brand; generic stuff is cheaper and usually you get 2x as much for a little less. It's the only thing worth using on fingers when you've got a cut.

I nearly sliced the tip of my thumb off in college... after the bleeding stopped and everything was clearly fine, that stuff worked wonders. It's unbeatable - and just reapply daily.

(Odd drum-related injuries? None to speak of... but the hand thing was worth sharing the tip - I used to work in a stock room when I was younger and was guaranteed at least one cut on the hands every week or so.)

The Colonel

Silver Member
lol so has this hindered your performance at all? By the way i checked your myspace, really interesting drumming, i like it.

Just a nagging [now] dull pain with my left hand. I'll try that liquid band-aid stuff.

and Thanks!

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
I cut my finger on my hi-hat the other day, got blood all over my snare and my pants.

I've also hit myself in the nose/next to the eyes dozens of times. I doubt I'll make it another year without actually destroying one of my eyes.

Bonz0

Well mine's not much a physical damage but it did hurt me a lot...my kit is next to my bed and lets say that a couple weeks ago i was sleeping and suddenly turned left unfortunately hitting the ride cymbal which landed on the snare..but not before taking with him a crash and a china... 4 am.... it felt like it lasted hours until the noise stopped and i was freezed in the bed grapping the sheets like if it would stop faster as the stronger i did...it was awful ='(

PD: the kit didnt suffer any damage thanks God..

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
Well mine's not much a physical damage but it did hurt me a lot...my kit is next to my bed and lets say that a couple weeks ago i was sleeping and suddenly turned left unfortunately hitting the ride cymbal which landed on the snare..but not before taking with him a crash and a china... 4 am.... it felt like it lasted hours until the noise stopped and i was freezed in the bed grapping the sheets like if it would stop faster as the stronger i did...it was awful ='(

PD: the kit didnt suffer any damage thanks God..
lol! Im on my laptop until quite late at night which i keep near my kit and when I leave i sometimes accidently touch me china and to me it sounds like a bomb going off! dont want imagine what all that would sound like after you've been asleep aswell!

Bonz0

lol! Im on my laptop until quite late at night which i keep near my kit and when I leave i sometimes accidently touch me china and to me it sounds like a bomb going off! dont want imagine what all that would sound like after you've been asleep aswell!
hehe yeah was awful, my mom broke into my room suddenly and almost finished to kill me by scare...also my neighbors came to see what happened ( I live in an apartment so i guess they heard everything almost like we did..)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I'm surprised at you Colonel! A drummer of your experience and caliber letting his Hats bite him! It's a good thing that you are not a Snake Handler! Or a Lion Tamer! Your carrier mite be over! LOL!
I myself have never been injured while playing the drums! Except for way back when, When I used to drink and do the Keith Moon thing by falling from my throne, and also from grace!
I received many a "Knock on the Klunkin" back in those drinking days!
Be more careful in the future dude! Remember what your mom always said "Its all fun and games until someone breaks a nail"

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Way back when, It was one of my first few shows with my then new band. We had worked really hard, and were getting a name around town.

I missed the ending, and I was so mad at myself for making such a huge mistake after so many rehearsals, I punched my crash with my fist. I knocked my finger out of place, and while it's been reset more than once, I can still feel where it went out 13 years later.

The Colonel

Silver Member
I'm surprised at you Colonel! A drummer of your experience and caliber letting his Hats bite him! It's a good thing that you are not a Snake Handler! Or a Lion Tamer! Your carrier mite be over! LOL!
I myself have never been injured while playing the drums! Except for way back when, When I used to drink and do the Keith Moon thing by falling from my throne, and also from grace!
I received many a "Knock on the Klunkin" back in those drinking days!
Be more careful in the future dude! Remember what your mom always said "Its all fun and games until someone breaks a nail"

Ha! It's only during rehearsals, when I'm playing something, and I'll hear a hundred different ways to play something that is currently in the moment...My hands want to do every single thing I hear in my head - or try to play something that is getting close to the approximation of what I'm hearing/feeling (never satisfied with a part), and I'll let something nip my hands or my hands will forget about the space they're in and overstep some bounds... Happens once in a while...

SilentCartographer

The big knuckles on both of my index fingers are scared-up pretty bad. In fact, I've hit my right index knuckle on my floor tom rim & lugs (I love laying into my crash-ride) so many time it will forever make a clicking noise when i bend my finger. Oh! what I do for the music!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Ha! It's only during rehearsals, when I'm playing something, and I'll hear a hundred different ways to play something that is currently in the moment...My hands want to do every single thing I hear in my head - or try to play something that is getting close to the approximation of what I'm hearing/feeling (never satisfied with a part), and I'll let something nip my hands or my hands will forget about the space they're in and overstep some bounds... Happens once in a while...
Hey, I was just joking, It happens to all of us sometimes.
You mean, You can't play four different drum interpretations for a song at the same time? What's up with that?
It reminds me of a Jamaican drummer that I know who once said, "Oh yea Mon, Me head goes one way and Me hands go another, Mon".
I thought that that was the most profound drum statement that I ever heard!