Other ways to mount a KickPort???

edvia

I was reading another forum where audio engineers were discussing the KickPort, and one of them (who didn't like the concept) said this:

"Speaker ports are cut into the solid part of the speaker, not the resonating medium (would you cut a hole in the cone of a speaker?)"

While I am a fan of KickPorts, that got me thinking. Since speaker ports are installed in the cabinet (which is essentially the equivalent of a drum shell), what if you drilled a hole in the side of the bass drum shell and inserted the KickPort there? Then keep the front head solid (unported), so all the air is directed out of the side-mounted KickPort. Then you have a full front head for added resonance, plus you get the air constriction "punchiness" effect of the KickPort.

While in theory this could work, I'm curious as to how that would actually sound compared to mounting a KickPort the standard way. As for mic'ing, you could still mike the KickPort directly or insert a mic through the KickPort for internal mic'ing.

Anyone have a beater bass drum they don't mind experimenting with?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
First, the Kickport, although flexible, would have to be remade to accommodate for the curvature of the drum shell. I like your theory, but will not sacrifice one of my bass drums, sorry.

KamaK

Platinum Member
"Speaker ports are cut into the solid part of the speaker, not the resonating medium (would you cut a hole in the cone of a speaker?)"

Speaker ports are made so you can hear what's on the other side of the resonator, tuned and phase flipped, to give you an extra ~3db. On a bass drum, you already have both sides by virtue of having two heads. The issue is that you can't typically hear both, because you're either in front, or in back. To rectify this, you get a choice...

Mic both sides of the BD with two mics
Mic the inside of the BD (cut a hole in the batter or internal mount) to grab the both

Kick ports give you a tuned version of the internal sound, at the expense of severely dampening the reso head. While it can't possibly deliver "more" sound, it can deliver a highly stylized sound that some people love. Their advertising is complete rubbish though, and I do not personally care for the result.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I swear I saw someone post a photo of this on a forum a few years back. they cut a hole in their kick and put the port in and loved it.

It would be interesting to try it with a ported kick also, and a reso with no port. you could try all kinds of things. (i'm not going to wreck a drum but if i find a cheap used one on craigslist id try it.)

You could also try an fx series port in the wood first as its smaller if your doing this experiment to see how that works!

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
In regards to your audio reference think of it like this. People usually want some muffling in their bass drum for a punch or some attack (depending on style of music). people don't put a towel in their speaker.

You can always remove the Kickport if the music your playing doesn't require it.

I personally don't like the sound of a kick drum with no muffling for the music i play, so the kick port helps me not need to put as much if anything inside my drum.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Kumu drums out of Sweeden (I think) has a cutout option in their bass shells. You can throw a mic in there, a light, your cat, whatever.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I swear I saw someone post a photo of this on a forum a few years back. they cut a hole in their kick and put the port in and loved it.
That would be me! In 1985, I asked Impact to port their kicks the same way they had been porting their tom shells, and that idea stuck for the 20+ years they continued to make drums.

It allowed the front head to resonate fully if desired, and also permitted full reso art, without a hole or mic stand obscuring it.

Bermuda

Attachments

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
That would be me! In 1985, I asked Impact to port their kicks the same way they had been porting their tom shells, and that idea stuck for the 20+ years they continued to make drums.

It allowed the front head to resonate fully if desired, and also permitted full reso art, without a hole or mic stand obscuring it.

Bermuda
WOW. that is cool, You were the first. I would have been 2 when you were doing crazy drum stuff like this haha.

So a few questions.
How did it sound?
Did it sound more like a ported head or unported head?
Did you ever use this AND a ported head?

I saw another where i guy stuck an actual Kickport in it. Google is an amazing thing. only took a few min

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117770

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I was under the impression that the Kickport also projected sound to the front. What does this do to projecting sound to the side.?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Now they use something on their Honda Civics, they make them sound like real cars or drifters.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
WOW. that is cool, You were the first. I would have been 2 when you were doing crazy drum stuff like this haha.

So a few questions.
How did it sound?
Did it sound more like a ported head or unported head?
Did you ever use this AND a ported head?
Hard to say if the sound was significantly different, I just know my kicks sounded particularly great, and I got compliments from several sound guys in clubs who really liked them. But with any damping inside, the front reso properties are reduced anyway, I suppose you'd need to do a sonic analysis to see the measurements. The real benefits were unobstructed front head view, and mic positioning and damping adjustment was much easier from the side than from in front through the head.

I may have had a ported reso on the drums at times, but only if that's all I had available. I don't recall ever not liking the kicks, so I'd say that didn't significantly alter the sound. Again, what started out as a sound idea turned out to be a logistical benefit instead.

I never tried a Kickport in the shell though. I know what they do and how they sound, and I'm just not a fan.

Bermuda