Other musicians' view of drums.

AZslim

All,

Funny story. Last week my band was rehearsing a song that has a part where everybody except the drums drops out. The guitarist wanted to go over "the part where all the instruments drop out" I had to think a second because I couldn't remember any part where we all stop playing. Then it hit me. I pointed to my drums and gently reminded him that this IS an instrument.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Good story. And very true.

"I'm a musician"

"Really, what instrument do you play?"

"I play the drums"

"Oh OK .................."

groove1

Silver Member
Ditto's Too True.
What do you call someone who likes to hang out with musicians....(never mind).

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If the guitarist would have said he wanted to go over the part in the song where all the pitched instruments drop out....

In a way, drums are in a class all by themselves. Physically, they have very little in common with other musical instruments.

AZslim

If the guitarist would have said he wanted to go over the part in the song where all the pitched instruments drop out....

In a way, drums are in a class all by themselves. Physically, they have very little in common with other musical instruments.
i didn't mean to imply it was a bad scene. There was good natured ribbing following.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Oh I get it, just a revealing little slip. I honestly don't know what the others really make of drummers as a whole. The best musician I know, by his own admission, says that he has no idea what we do.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
From a tuned instrument point of view, if the drums are not doing anything wrong, they tend to treat the rhythmic basis of a tune as a given and then work on the challenges of coordinating with the other tuned instruments.

When I briefly "played" keys with a garage-y band I focused mostly on guitar and vocals because they were the parts that most affected what I played. Once, when I filled in on vocals, I was surprised how little I noticed the drums, except when something went wrong, because pitch was my challenge and I had to focus on tuned instruments.

AZslim

From a tuned instrument point of view, if the drums are not doing anything wrong, they tend to treat the rhythmic basis of a tune as a given and then work on the challenges of coordinating with the other tuned instruments.

When I briefly "played" keys with a garage-y band I focused mostly on guitar and vocals because they were the parts that most affected what I played. Once, when I filled in on vocals, I was surprised how little I noticed the drums, except when something went wrong, because pitch was my challenge and I had to focus on tuned instruments.
Interesting. I would love to learn a real instrument. :) I started to take bass lessons, but I only have barely enough time to keep up what meager chops I have on drums.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Depends on the type of band, I have plays in bands that relied on me generating all the drum parts first and then they fitted everything to these. I have also played in situations where I had to fit around pre composed tracks. So in the first situation the drums were given considerable respect, in the second the drums were just a tempo/ time keeping device to hang everything else on.

Other musicians only hear drum kit in terms of how it alters their instrument and general volume level, they generally can't tell a Pearl Export from a top of the line hand made kit and certainly can't tell a Bosphorus cymbal from a similar level Zildjian Paiste Sabian etc...
All the hype about gear is for our own pleasure and what is really important is that the gear doesn't breakdown mid gig.

What will not be forgiven is dropping beats what they want from fills is to set them up nicely for the changes. I personally find other musicans really like it when the drums mimic another part instead of playing a fill etc.

Vote with you feet, on the rare occasion when I am told drums are not a real instruments or generic insults that drummers are mentally deficient compared to the others I pack up there and then and go home. If you want respect you must respect yourself. There is generally greater demand for good gigging drummers than supply.

BramVanroy

As I experience it:

- Good musicians know and respect the value and, often, the necessity of a drummer.
- Inexperienced, or bad, musicians just think of drums as a tool to fill the empty spaces.

Of the latter, I've heard quite often "playing drums isn't that hard, anybody can do it." As a response, I give 'em something in return (li'l solo). They keep their mouth shut then, but you can see in their eyes that they don't think highly of drums.

To put things in perspective: it is the case that in 95% of the popular music (i.e. what you hear on the radio) the beat is consistent. If you are a drummer with a mere couple of months/years experience, you should be able to play a simple beat over any pop song. So far, you could say that drummingis "easy". But being a drummer is so much more than that. Keeping time, often leading your band, pointing out the structure of the song you are playing by fills and rhythm changes. It might not be the most important instrument, but it definitely adds to the rest.

Fortunately, my current band respects me as a drummer. They sit together and forge the melody, and I listen to it a couple of times and then I play along a first time. We discuss what I've played as well as the whole song and ultimately come to a drum part that everybody is happy with. They value my opinion, and that, I think, is important as well.

Magenta

Platinum Member
I think playing drums is regarded similarly to singing by many people. The voice is often not recognised as an instrument any more than drums are, simply because anybody can produce a sound with their voice in the same way as they can produce a sound when they hit things. The trick, of course, is to be able to do it beautifully.

Polska

I take a lot of good natured ribbing in my band about not being a "musician" and other drum jokes, but it's all in good fun. They are my friends and I think secretly they would all like to be able to do what I do. Secretly, I'd like to be able to play guitar too but I never tell them that!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

And it's totally understandable. You have to focus on your job. Way over generalized here, but I think we get put into 2 categories, one category that holds the good feeling drummers and another, much more populated category for all the rest.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
There was a drummer that came to open mic jam night last night and played several songs with the band and the band sounded horrible.

Then the next drummer came up and played with the same band. All of a sudden the band sounded great !

And the musicians and everybody else noticed the difference. I just sat back and smiled.

I love that first drummer. I hope he comes back often. Because he single-handedly did more to promote the art of drumming than anyone has ever done.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
There was a drummer that came to open mic jam night last night and played several songs with the band and the band sounded horrible.

Then the next drummer came up and played with the same band. All of a sudden the band sounded great !

And the musicians and everybody else noticed the difference. I just sat back and smiled.

I love that first drummer. I hope he comes back often. Because he single-handedly did more to promote the art of drumming than anyone has ever done.

I think he was there the night I came by. He was crazy bed with no clue about tempo. I had never heard anything that wildly random.

coolhand1969

Maybe the other guys in the band do not understand us. The amazing skills which go into making a solid drummer, but who cares? We know how important we are, how much practice it takes, how much endurance, how much groove and technical skill it really takes. Let them play some rock without a drummer, gonna sound real great. Ha!

I do it because I love it. I love sitting down behind the kit and the whole world of problems fades away and I play. And the audiance cheers, no feeling like it!