Ordered a DW Performance Kit

areFish

Silver Member
I placed an order this week for a DW Performance drum kit in Ebony Stain Lacquer. I chose the 22 x 18 kick with the tom/snare pack 3. That includes a 12" rack tom, 16" FT and 6.5" deep snare. I hope to order the 14" FT soon to make it a 1 up 2 down set-up. I've been told the subtle difference to the new stock is the bass drum hoops are natural on the inside and Ebony Stain on the out. Delivery isn't expected until late Sept. or early Oct., which means it's going to be a long Summer.

Last edited:

cornelius

Silver Member
I've done the "dw wait". You're kit looks like it'll be worth it - they're great drums, and that's a very nice finish you're going for...

gish

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Performance series are supposed to be DW's non-custom, in-stock drums. Limited sizes and finishes usually means fast delivery time, so why the long wait? Is the demand for the drums higher than what DW expected and can handle, or didn't they have enough stock built up before introducing them to the market? I'm also considering these for my next kit, so I'd like to know the reason for the long delivery time.

eamesuser

Silver Member
On the wait time,Ludwig had a similar problem with their Keystone Series which was the same thing,(limited sizes,limited color options) when they first came out,first deliveries were supposed to be in June,a lot of people didn't get them til August.I know DW moved production to the U.S. on these,maybe they had some unforeseen problems getting production going.

eamesuser

Silver Member
Maple shell with no re ring,smaller turret lugs,limited # of sizes and finishes,not sure if the mounting hardware is any different.

areFish

Silver Member
That long wait for a Performance kit. Man, that's tough...
Yes it is a long wait. It will be an exercise in patience while my drums are being hand made.

I've done the "dw wait". You're kit looks like it'll be worth it - they're great drums, and that's a very nice finish you're going for...
Hey thanks. There is currently only 5 color choices so it helped make that decision easy.

Sweet.

Be sure to post pictures when it's all set up!
Will do. I'm sure I'll bog down my photo hosting site's server the day these arrive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Performance series are supposed to be DW's non-custom, in-stock drums. Limited sizes and finishes usually means fast delivery time, so why the long wait? Is the demand for the drums higher than what DW expected and can handle, or didn't they have enough stock built up before introducing them to the market? I'm also considering these for my next kit, so I'd like to know the reason for the long delivery time.
Your not wrong. This is a production kit. Currently DW has a 14 week lead time on these with endless orders flowing in.

On the wait time,Ludwig had a similar problem with their Keystone Series which was the same thing,(limited sizes,limited color options) when they first came out,first deliveries were supposed to be in June,a lot of people didn't get them til August.I know DW moved production to the U.S. on these,maybe they had some unforeseen problems getting production going.
I didn't hear about any unforeseen problems, but who knows? I'm guessing the move from Ensenada to Oxnard didn't speed things up (at least initially).

The difference between the Performance and the Collectors is?
A few $1000...
I said, A Few Thousand Dollars!
Tap tap tap...hey is this thing on?

Maple shell with no re ring,smaller turret lugs,limited # of sizes and finishes,not sure if the mounting hardware is any different.
They use the same STM - Suspension Tom Mount for both series.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Have fun with it! Saw one of these kits at GC. Very nice finish you're getting.

I like these shells MUCH better than the Collectors shell.
Other than Ludwig's older 3ply/new Legacy (or, old Silngerland's) I haven't been a fan of the re-ring sound.

I like these smaller lugs better too. I'm sure they'll add a size or two in the future.
If they offered an 8x12 or 9x13 I'm sure they'd sell a ton more drums in this series.

areFish

Silver Member
Nice!
...but I thought you were happy with Yammie?
I am happy with my Yamaha and that kit isn't going anywhere. I'm ready for an upgrade though. I have always liked DWs, however until now they have been above my pay grade.

Have fun with it! Saw one of these kits at GC. Very nice finish you're getting.

I like these shells MUCH better than the Collectors shell.
Other than Ludwig's older 3ply/new Legacy (or, old Silngerland's) I haven't been a fan of the re-ring sound.

I like these smaller lugs better too. I'm sure they'll add a size or two in the future.
If they offered an 8x12 or 9x13 I'm sure they'd sell a ton more drums in this series.
Thanks. I have had to rely on pics on the finish I chose. The only finish I have seen up close and personal is the Cherry Stain Lacquer. I have my doubts about odd size drums being added but that's just my thoughts.

Skyking

I was just playing this at GC 2 hours ago. Wow, great sound ! They had EMAD, EC 2 and a stock DW snare head with a DW 9000 pedal. It was as good as anything I've ever played. All that and a classic look too. Well worth the wait!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Those do look nice. Post some pictures - better yet, a video when you get them so we can hear them!

On that wait; the one time I ordered a DW Collector's kit, I was also told it would take at least 12 weeks for completion. They came in three weeks. The shock of it was that I hadn't the money for the remaining balance so I had to scramble that one! Be prepared!

areFish

Silver Member
I ordered a 14 x 12 floor tom as an add on today. With the wait time I didn't want to put off ordering the additional FT. While I was at the shop they called DW for me to confirm the wait time. I'm told late October - November 15. This is really going to have to be an exercise in patience.

TravisFans

Damn i order my Custom Kit last december 2010 and i had to wait till end of april 2011.

But it was an Custom kit. I can't say how long it will be to get a production Kit from the biggest Drum company ever. It's a little bit disappointing.

But you're gonna enjoy this kit a little more ;)

A

audiotech

I don't want to make you people feel ill by telling you how long my wait was for this 14" x 14" DW Classic floor tom to be made and delivered, lol. I ordered it about 2 weeks after I bought my kit.

Dennis

KirbyM

I have seen a kit in Ebony Stain. It is a beautiful finish. In fact, I played that kit and compared side-by-side to a Collector's Series kit of the same sizes. I could not tell any difference. Great purchase - good luck with your drums !!