Opportunity knocks again

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Here we go again! This time I beleive it will be a bit better than my last 100 or so encounters. Instead of casting out a line in the shipping channel and seeing what I get - so to speak, I've actually gotten a bit more intelligent in the process of finding band mates. Not a lot, but some....

A booking agent I've worked with in the past sent me a message on FaceBook asking if I'd be interested in playing with some musicos who were looking for a drummer with a jazz kit. I repsonded immediately and got the contact information. I exhanged emails with the contact and got some good information, a YouTube video of a gig, etc. It's just a duo now - a acoutic guitar player and a singer, but the guitar player plays in another band I know about and the singer actually can sing pretty good. They are around my age, so that's fine. No teenyboppers with high aspirations of becoming the next big thing. It's all old stuff - classic rock, blues, jazz, etc. Some originals. They want to expand into a 4 or 5 some.

I meet with them Sunday to jam and see what happens. It appears on the outside to be a good opportunity to get on the ground floor of a band without having to audition with an existing band and having to fill someone else's shoes, so to speak. My luck in that area hasn't been too good lately.

I talked this over with my wife and showed her the vid and got her nod of approval. She's actually as excited as I am because they play the stuff she likes.

Here's hoping!!

mikel

Platinum Member
Good luck Rogue, hope this one works out.

Give it your best shot and If it comes to nothing well at least you did all you could.

As I say, good luck.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Well this really sucks...but it figures. I get an email from my contact - the guitar player saying tomorrow's audition - Sunday afternoon - they have to cancel it. Something just came up and they need to deal with it. So, no audition, jam, meet and greet - whatever for tomorrow.
I was so looking forward to it. But things unexpected come up and that's life. The guitar player emailed me well enough in advance - I was going to load my drum set right after I checked my email. Glad I did. I'm thankful I got the courtesy of an email. Still....

harryconway

Platinum Member
The holiday season is the absolute "worst" time to try to put something together. Hard enough to have something "already together" and get anything accomplished. Someone's always got some "holiday" related thing that gets in the way. Might as well wait until "after" the new year, and then hit it hard.​

aydee

Platinum Member

All sounds good.The right mix of people it seems with the graciousness of an early email to cancel is a good sign. Yeah, Harry right, December isnt a good month to begins things...

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Yeah, I agree with eveything said 100%. It's always hard during the holidays with even the normal things. To be honest, today was going to be a long day anyway, and now I get several hours back, so that is totally fine with me. I got up this morning and realized it was really a gift in disguise. These two - the guitar player and singer - have been totally kind and respectful of others' time and schedule and I sent a kind email in reply letting them know I fully unterstand and it's okay. I'm still interested in their project.

I agree, all is still good