opinions on this 3-ply weird shells ??

ENRICO

Silver Member
Hi! I was looking for drum shells and I came across this weird drum shells:

all vertical grain (not cross laminated)
3ply , 3mm each ply = 9mm

the manufacturer claims that the shells are really strong , but I've never seen shells like this ones, nobody makes all vertical grain shells and the plys are really thick.

by the way they are made of "guatambu" , it's a local wood from were I live and it's as good as the best maple you could find.

opinions?

Attachments

C

Crazy8s

If the shells are laminated well, they are going to be very good shells with a sound more like a stave shell.

It is a really good thing for you to be shopping locally too, buying from your neighbors who made those shells. This promotes economy growth in your location.

The wood is a great wood from what I have heard of other players who have used it.

ENRICO

Silver Member
If the shells are laminated well, they are going to be very good shells with a sound more like a stave shell.

It is a really good thing for you to be shopping locally too, buying from your neighbors who made those shells. This promotes economy growth in your location.

The wood is a great wood from what I have heard of other players who have used it.
to be honest I was really exited about this shells because they use very little glue in comparison to most drum shells but at the same time I was scared because they are very different than most shells , and I was specially concerned about not being cross laminated because I've always thought that the cross laminated process was what make drums shells strong

by the way , you make me curiuos , who else in the world use this wood?

C

Crazy8s

There are others in Argentina, and in Brazil. Odery uses another local wood, but it is a bit different wood. It may be that they use this wood too, on other drums, but i havent seen their website for a while.

braincramp

Gold Member
This sounds similar to erie shells they run all thick plys horizonally and sequence them up to match grain patterns, they claim it makes it closer to a solid shell but @ ply pricing. I purchased a walnut shell from them for my very 1st snare making project.. it sounds good thou I should have had them do the bearing edges for me.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
to be honest I was really exited about this shells because they use very little glue in comparison to most drum shells but at the same time I was scared because they are very different than most shells , and I was specially concerned about not being cross laminated because I've always thought that the cross laminated process was what make drums shells strong

I have never heard of shells like this. You are right, they aren't going to be as strong as cross-laminated shells. On the other hand, they will conduct sound more efficiently. In cross-lamination, the grains of wood tend to cancel each other out. When they are all in the same direction, like a stave or solid shell, they will have a much bigger sound.

I wouldn't worry too much about the strength. These are musical instruments, not flooring for a house. Go for what sounds best to you.