Opinions on the PDP Ace brass snare?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Did a search and not a single thread on this snare? That seems a little strange!

What do you guys think of this particular model? I have an itch for a low priced brass snare and this seems to be in front with the Pork Pie BoB. Thoughts?

I own the PP and have only played the Ace PDP in a store.

They are very similar.

I think the badge on the PDP is hideous, but that's just me.

Also check out the WorldMax and Ahead brass snares.

Between the two you mentioned, I would go with the Pork Pie.

TTNW - Thanks for the info! I may go for the Ace, simply because I have a gift card to Best Buy and a local Best Buy carries that drum. My out-of-pocket expense would be minimal. But that's the only reason.

I'm surprised I don't see anyone talking about the Ace on this forum.

I wouldn't doubt if the BOB and the Ace came out of the same factory in China. The only difference to me is that the BOB is 6.5x14 and the Ace is 5.5x14. Or is it 5x14? Anyway, I would go for the BOB because of the added depth. If you have the means, I highly suggest picking up a Ludwig brass snare drum. That kinda goes without saying on this forum, though.

I think the Ace, Pork Pie BOB, Pearl Sensitone Brass, and WorldMax Black Dawg use exactly the same beaded, welded 1.5mm black nickel plated brass shell from the exact same factory. I don't know that for a fact, but they're all at the same price point and are all virtually indistinguishable from each other. They're all Black Beauty knock-offs.

But I don't mean that in a bad way. I had, up until last week, the Pearl version and that sucker would take your head off in style with its full rich sound and the sweetest crack you ever heard. I've played on the Pork Pie and it was basically the same thing. I have no doubt that the Ace would be right in there.

Those are the best snares for the money on the market today, IMO (but I'm a sucker for brass!).

All these shells come out of the World Max factory.

You can buy all the parts, and do it yourself, or get a complete drum from World Max or, from any number of companies.

One isn't "better" than another, the parts are all the same.

These snares sound really nice, and don't cost a ton of dough, so you can't really "go wrong".

I'd go with the 6.5 myself.

I have a 5x14 World Max in their "Vintage" "series" (tube lugs, straight hoops). It sounds really nice, and the parts all work like they should.

I wouldn't doubt if the BOB and the Ace came out of the same factory in China. The only difference to me is that the BOB is 6.5x14 and the Ace is 5.5x14. Or is it 5x14? Anyway, I would go for the BOB because of the added depth. If you have the means, I highly suggest picking up a Ludwig brass snare drum. That kinda goes without saying on this forum, though.

The Ace is available in both 5x14 and 6.5x14! I am actually talking about the 6.5x14 version, but I failed to mention that in my previous post.

I wouldn't doubt if they come from the same factory either.

All these shells come out of the World Max factory.

You can buy all the parts, and do it yourself, or get a complete drum from World Max or, from any number of companies.

One isn't "better" than another, the parts are all the same.

These snares sound really nice, and don't cost a ton of dough, so you can't really "go wrong".

I'd go with the 6.5 myself.

I have a 5x14 World Max in their "Vintage" "series" (tube lugs, straight hoops). It sounds really nice, and the parts all work like they should.

Oh okay. So you know that for sure. I don't doubt it one bit. Thanks for that info!!! They sure do seem nice for the price.

Here's an idea... I just got a vintage Mapex Brass Master 6.5 x 14 with die cast hoops, extended snares with adjustments on both sides..this thing is a tank..probably 2 times as heavy as either the BOB or Ace its a hefty 15 pounds.. and after putting the right heads on it it sounds awesome!! Got it for $129 on ebay..you might want to look into the used brass snares there..and then buy your wife/sig. other a nice present with your card...just a thought!! You will pay about 40% or less if you go used.

Here's an idea... I just got a vintage Mapex Brass Master 6.5 x 14 with die cast hoops, extended snares with adjustments on both sides..this thing is a tank..probably 2 times as heavy as either the BOB or Ace its a hefty 15 pounds.. and after putting the right heads on it it sounds awesome!! Got it for $129 on ebay..you might want to look into the used brass snares there..and then buy your wife/sig. other a nice present with your card...just a thought!! You will pay about 40% or less if you go used.

I try to buy everything used. But I have a gift card to a local Best Buy that carries a limited variety of musical instruments. I'm wanting another snare and they have the Pearl Chad Smith (great snare), PDP Ace, and a cheaper snare or two in stock. That's the main reason I'm asking about the PDP Ace and considering buying it new.

But yeah, I agree that used is the way to go 99% of the time!

I try to buy everything used. But I have a gift card to a local Best Buy that carries a limited variety of musical instruments. I'm wanting another snare and they have the Pearl Chad Smith (great snare), PDP Ace, and a cheaper snare or two in stock. That's the main reason I'm asking about the PDP Ace and considering buying it new.

But yeah, I agree that used is the way to go 99% of the time!

Get online and look for best buy coupon codes to use in conjunction with your gift card. Sometimes "used" isn't that much cheaper than "new" if you shop smart.

Also, I could swear I recognize your name from a Harley-Davidson forum... That you by chance? I'm also a Sgt too.

Get online and look for best buy coupon codes to use in conjunction with your gift card. Sometimes "used" isn't that much cheaper than "new" if you shop smart.

Also, I could swear I recognize your name from a Harley-Davidson forum... That you by chance? I'm also a Sgt too.

Ha ha, yeah that's me! I've run into more than one person on both motorcycle and musician boards!

Hi, I too am looking to buy a Brass shelled snare and also have both the PP and the PDP ACE on my list..I see the references to the WorldMax shells which some suggest are used on all these drums as well as their own and those by Ahead..

.I notice the PDP is in fact different from the others as it has a reverse centre bead, could it be when the shells are rolled from flat that the PDP is reverse rolled to achieve this??? Also I think the PP and others are 16 Lug drums? (8 per head) whereas i think the PDP is in fact a 20 lug (10 per head)??

I can pick up a new PDP ACE for under £200 which i think represents a great value snare. In the past ive always played Pearl drums, my last kit being a Masters with Ian Paice sig snare which i ordered the day they were released. (wish id kept that one)

Having cut back on gigging etc ive down scaled my gear and now have a PDP CX Maple kit which i find to be superb value and quality, however the snare is a little shallow for my taste hence the addition...Ive read good and bad on all the mentioned snares and feel its really down to personal choice..Just yesterday i read glowing reports of PP Drums only to speak later to someone whose friend had owned a kit and said the quality was poor???

Im tempted to go for the PDP ACE myself tho in the back of my mind i still keep thinking of how much i liked the Chrome Ian Paice snare, that then prompts me to consider a DW Chrome in 14x6.5 which i can buy for £299...????? Decisions, decisions...lol....Guess it still goes back to what you like and how much you can afford (or not as the case may be),
us drummers tend to find a way when we want something dont we...lol..???

The reverse center bead would be just as easy as the regular when set up. All those snares are 20 lug I am pretty sure, the 13" however will have 16.
If you like the PDP get it, it is a good snare, it does have some pretty terrible heads and wires out of the box though and should be changed. Good luck!

I bought a PDP Ace from Best Buy, last year. It was only $99 during that blowout sale they had. I tried several head combinations and never liked it. I sold it yesterday.

I picked up the Ace snare last year when Best Buy had a sale for $99. IMO, it was an excellent price for a 6.5 x 14" brass snare.

It's a nice sounding snare, and you definitely need to trash the heads when you get it. I threw a spare DW snare strainer on it. Actually sounded quite nice.

I ended up selling mine too after getting it for $99 at the Best Buy sale. It was a decent snare, but I was in gear whore mode and a bunch of stuff came and went during that time. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm still in the gear whore mode and have been for 25 years. LOL

Well, ive made the decision, ive done a deal on a brand new PDP ACE at £179...here in the UK that seems a good deal...Ive also got the chance of a DW MAG throw off which im told is a direct fit replacement for the standard one, its a good price so im going to go with that, already got my replacement heads ready as i always use a particular Brand/Model so had them to hand......Will see how it goes from there, ive heard one or two rumblings about the hoops being a bit lean on the ACE so after a good trial i will see how they go before i consider some 2.3mm replacements or even some DW 3.0mm True Hoops....Should make it a real decent Snare..... gear junkies all of us...lol...Will report back when im in reciept of the snare and had time to give it a good hiding......

I ended up selling mine too after getting it for $99 at the Best Buy sale. It was a decent snare, but I was in gear whore mode and a bunch of stuff came and went during that time. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm still in the gear whore mode and have been for 25 years. LOL

Best Buy gift card purchase also :)
I too ended up selling mine. I got multiple offers on it the same day I posted it for sale. I think it's the only drum gear I've ever sold for a profit!

That DW throw off will kick ass on it. Heck, might as well grab a DW strainer - that will really make it sing. I put an HD Dry on mine, so with the right heads and tuning you may not need additional hoops.

Not to be a gear whore, but I believe in having spare Die Cast hoops in your arsenal just in case. I'm a recovering gear whore in therapy currently...

Back