Opinions Needed on Possible Re-Wrap

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would not touch that set, that seems in great shape, just for a color change. You may tire of it in due time and then what. Blue Sparkle,Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle........If you want to wrap, wrap the silver sparkle snare drum...

acsunda

I would not touch that set, that seems in great shape, just for a color change. You may tire of it in due time and then what. Blue Sparkle,Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle, Blue Sparkle........If you want to wrap, wrap the silver sparkle snare drum...

Well, I've wanted gold glass glitter since I was 15, so I really doubt I would ever tire of it. Also, I love the way that snare looks, wouldn't change it for anything.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I'm going to start by saying I love my gold sparkle Ludwig set. It is fantastic looking, so I can only imagine how much I would love it in gold glass glitter. However, the blue sparkle you have on those Gretsch drums is amazing. That is a fairly unique looking blue sparkle and something I think fits in almost any situation.

If it were me, I'd save my pennies and buy a second kit that was already wrapped in gold glitter.

NouveauCliche

Hey guys, I wanted to get some input. So I love my Gretsch New Classics. They are the perfect sizes for me, I love their sound, and I want them to be the primary kit for the long haul. The ocean sparkle burst finish is beautiful. But I have always wanted a kit with a gold glass glitter finish and I don’t want to sell the New Classics in order to buy a kit in this finish.

My question is: How crazy would you all think I am to cover the ocean sparkle burst finish, which is already a beautiful finish, with a gold glass glitter wrap? It should be noted that the ocean sparkle burst lacquer finish is cracking in a few places, and while the kit still looks great, it clearly shows some wear and tear. I’m no stranger to wrapping drums, so I’m not worried about it not looking nice or professional.

I know that ultimately, this is all up to me and it’s whatever I prefer. But I just wanted to get some of your all’s thoughts.

And please don’t tell me to keep the New Classics and also save up and buy another kit in the finish I want. I’m a public school teacher and can afford exactly one nice, primary kit at a time.

View attachment 94416View attachment 94417

I love that gold glass - LOVE it - make sure and keep those black bass drum hoops! (you can wrap that snare too!)

**It's worth noting that I would never do it - but I 100% support you doing it! Gotta love what you play!

PaisteGuy

Well, I've wanted gold glass glitter since I was 15, so I really doubt I would ever tire of it. Also, I love the way that snare looks, wouldn't change it for anything.

I think You’ve answered Your question. If You wrap the drums, tape at the seams under the lugs, and You won’t have issues.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Gold glass glitter wrap looks very nice to me too. If you save $ 10 / week then in about two years you'll have the cash to buy a second Gretsch New Classics kit.

vyacheslav

I know you do not want to buy a second kit, but hear me out..................

Does the 2nd kit have to be "expensive" such as the Gretsch New Classic? There are plenty of MIJ drums (Made In Japan) from the 60's that have the gold glitter/sparkle finish. Those can be had for fairly cheap, depending on the condition.

Also, you could buy a used or "cheaper" kit as a secondary kit and re-wrap it. That way you can have both!

Also, if you are a veteran drum wrapper, you are probably aware that in the available wrap suppliers (Precision, Jammin Sam etc) that there are two versions, Gold Sparkle and Gold Glass Glitter. In my prior experience, the Gold Sparkle is a true gold whereas the Gold Glass Glitter is much more orange in appearance than gold. Something to keep in mind. I would ask for a swatch of each beforehand before you proceed.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Just remember, if for some odd reason you ever do change your mind about the wrap and wanted to go back to your original lacquer finish, it will always be compromised (and most likely ruined) after you wrap. Sort of a "Speak now or forever hold your peace" thing.

V

Woolwich

Silver Member
It's horses for courses, however vyacheslav's comments have made me think that even if you only taped a wrap over your lacquer finished drums, the friction of the wrap on the lacquer might mean that the blue sparkle would be scuffed and not very good looking at the end of it.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to say other than I don't think you can have the best of both worlds, if you're going to wrap it then do a solid job of it as taking it off to reveal a pristine blue sparkle underneath may not be possible.

acsunda

It's horses for courses, however vyacheslav's comments have made me think that even if you only taped a wrap over your lacquer finished drums, the friction of the wrap on the lacquer might mean that the blue sparkle would be scuffed and not very good looking at the end of it.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to say other than I don't think you can have the best of both worlds, if you're going to wrap it then do a solid job of it as taking it off to reveal a pristine blue sparkle underneath may not be possible.

I agree. If I do it, I'll do it for keeps.

acsunda

I know you do not want to buy a second kit, but hear me out..................

Does the 2nd kit have to be "expensive" such as the Gretsch New Classic? There are plenty of MIJ drums (Made In Japan) from the 60's that have the gold glitter/sparkle finish. Those can be had for fairly cheap, depending on the condition.

Also, you could buy a used or "cheaper" kit as a secondary kit and re-wrap it. That way you can have both!

Also, if you are a veteran drum wrapper, you are probably aware that in the available wrap suppliers (Precision, Jammin Sam etc) that there are two versions, Gold Sparkle and Gold Glass Glitter. In my prior experience, the Gold Sparkle is a true gold whereas the Gold Glass Glitter is much more orange in appearance than gold. Something to keep in mind. I would ask for a swatch of each beforehand before you proceed.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Just remember, if for some odd reason you ever do change your mind about the wrap and wanted to go back to your original lacquer finish, it will always be compromised (and most likely ruined) after you wrap. Sort of a "Speak now or forever hold your peace" thing.

V

Yeah I thought about looking for a MIJ kit. If I did that, I'd still probably put a fresh wrap on it. Thanks!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If you are willing to throw that kind of money at a drum set which will do absolutely nothing to their value, then go for it.

I realize that you already know this, but glass glitter wraps can be a little more difficult to work with; they tend to be more brittle.

If it were me and I had the money, I'd go for it.

acsunda

If you are willing to throw that kind of money at a drum set which will do absolutely nothing to their value, then go for it.

I realize that you already know this, but glass glitter wraps can be a little more difficult to work with; they tend to be more brittle.

If it were me and I had the money, I'd go for it.

It would to their value...to me :LOL: .

Woolwich

Silver Member
I’ve had a premonition. The year is 2070 and a drummer has posted on Drummerworld.com about the vintage set of Gretsch New Classics he picked up for a steal in a garage sale. When he got home he noticed the gold glass glitter wrap was loose at one seam and when he pulled it away he revealed a pristine blue sparkle lacquer finish. He asks his fellow forum members what he should do. Leave the wrap in place as it looks so good , or risk taking it off to reveal what’s beneath!
I'm glad I won’t be here to advise......but one of you might be and remember how the story started :)

I’ve had a premonition. The year is 2070 and a drummer has posted on Drummerworld.com about the vintage set of Gretsch New Classics he picked up for a steal in a garage sale. When he got home he noticed the gold glass glitter wrap was loose at one seam and when he pulled it away he revealed a pristine blue sparkle lacquer finish. He asks his fellow forum members what he should do. Leave the wrap in place as it looks so good , or risk taking it off to reveal what’s beneath!
I'm glad I won’t be here to advise......but one of you might be and remember how the story started :)

and if they happen to remove the wrap they'll notice two holes in what they thought was a virgin bass drum. a debate will ensue- were these factory drilled? why on earth would anyone do this?

TK-421

The lugs will hold that wrap tightly in place, so I highly doubt that scuffing would be an issue.

That said, I still prefer that blue sparkle burst. It is absolutely gorgeous! But it's your kit, do with it as you please.

mrmike

Silver Member
I would never wrap over a wrap. Gold glass wrap isn't cheap either. Too bad you couldn't find a beat up kit for cheap that needs a re-wrap but that's usually vintage and may not be what you want.