Opinions needed, drumming....

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i agree. the "delicious" song is much, much better than the other songs, and it's not just the drumming. everything about it is better.

Richieshifter

Well thankyou everybody for taking the time out to listen to those tracks, it's much appreciated and I respect all of your opinions. It's helped me make a desicion whether I'm going to run with it or not.
Being a bass player I have the uppermost respect for drummers, when you find a good one it's the most amazing buzz in the world to play with, gotta keep them sweet!

Cheers.

Hi there, I've just joined a band and in my opinion the drummer isn't too hot (I'm a bass player) He's been playing 20 years but to my ears sounds like a begginer still.
I was hoping you guys could give me your own honest objective opinions....

Mp3's attached.

Many thanks in advance.

Richie.
Richie,

You joined their band, not the other way around. Quit if aren't happy.

No class, Richie. You have no class whatsoever. You joined a band (don't know why you would do this if you didn't like the members) then you go on a public forum to belittle him. "Do you guys think this guy sucks like I do?" Read it again...you are a passive aggressive back stabbing prick.

There may or may not be problems with the drummer, but what is validating it with us going to help the situation? Is he going to get better talking about it to us? does it actually solve the "problem"? The answer is NO to all the questions.

The truth is, people who do what you are doing here aren't very good themselves. A pro doesn't feel the need to rip on a fellow band member in public. Do your fellow band members a favor and quit. I'm sure they don't need your drama you are bringing to the group.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Richie,

No class, Richie. You have no class whatsoever. You joined a band (don't know why you would do this if you didn't like the members) then you go on a public forum to belittle him. "Do you guys think this guy sucks like I do?" Read it again...you are a passive aggressive back stabbing prick.

There may or may not be problems with the drummer, but what is validating it with us going to help the situation? Is he going to get better talking about it to us? does it actually solve the "problem"? The answer is NO to all the questions.

The truth is, people who do what you are doing here aren't very good themselves. A pro doesn't feel the need to rip on a fellow band member in public. Do your fellow band members a favor and quit. I'm sure they don't need your drama you are bringing to the group.
That may be too harsh. It is acceptable to ask other musicians what they think of your band and the musicians in it and play them some recordings. If you take that information back to the band and say, "I told a bunch of drummers you aren't very good after playing for 20 years and I asked what they think and they say you suck," then that is being a total douchebag and bringing the drama to the group.

If you use that information to go to the drummer and say ONLY, "It would really help me if we tightened up our sound. Would you mind playing with a metronome with me for a bit so we could improve?" then that is the right approach.

Upon second reading, I am not quite sure which approach Richieshifter is taking.

Spreggy

Silver Member
Richie,

Nice post.
RichietheGreat, I hope your drummer isn't the violent type, because if I found my bassist slagging me on line like this, we'd throw.

Richieshifter

Wow, some very aggressive angry posts.
It's just a forum, nobody knows me personally or knows the exact situation of the band.
Sorry if I offended anybody, I would never go to anybody and use this information against them, not my style.
For what it's worth, I am a pro, I've earned my crust from playing for the last ten years - Ok therfore I should know better but I was getting a lot of conflicting opinions and to gather opinions from people online who I don't know is truly objective, it's a quick fix and clearly not the right way to go about it. Apologies.

It's just helpful for me personally to have some opinions from drummers to make up my mind whether to quit the band or not.
The guys I play with are a lovely bunch of people on a personal level, last thing I would want to to is upset anybody. Not that they'd ever see these post in a million years, but I think it would be best if this thread was deleted

I didn't quite expect this response, but I can totally understand how it might appear.

DestinationDrumming

Just listened to the live rehearsal track and noticed at the end that you all say 'that wasn't bad'. I guess if that is the message that the drummer is getting from you then the likelihood is that (s)he's thinking that all is well, or is OK (ish).

Perhaps at the end of the track you all come up with one thing you like (about the band playing that track) and one you don't like and something you want to do differently. That way you all get the chance for some feedback which will help all of you. Most of all try to be polite and positive...not everything the drummer is doing is bad.

Just my 2p's worth!

yesdog

Silver Member
The bass player in the band I play in is not very good. He does not grasp the concept or the feel of a groove. Instead of bitching about it I work with him, when we lock into a groove I tell him, thats it do feel it, he has come a long way in the year I have been with them. Giving constructive advice goes a long way. He also started taking lessons and we show up early to practice grooving together. Work with the drummer and give him some guidence. If he is not then its time to find another drummer. when the drummer is the weakest part, the whole band suffers.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
It's just helpful for me personally to have some opinions from drummers to make up my mind whether to quit the band or not.
if that's your only objective, and you never discuss this thread with your band or show it to them then i don't see a problem. it's a touchy thing though, as you can see. people take this stuff very personally.

if that's your only objective, and you never discuss this thread with your band or show it to them then i don't see a problem. it's a touchy thing though, as you can see. people take this stuff very personally.
It not a matter of taking it personally, it's a matter of cooth, or lackthereof.

joeysnare

Silver Member
That may be too harsh. It is acceptable to ask other musicians what they think of your band and the musicians in it and play them some recordings. If you take that information back to the band and say, "I told a bunch of drummers you aren't very good after playing for 20 years and I asked what they think and they say you suck," then that is being a total douchebag and bringing the drama to the group.

If you use that information to go to the drummer and say ONLY, "It would really help me if we tightened up our sound. Would you mind playing with a metronome with me for a bit so we could improve?" then that is the right approach.

Upon second reading, I am not quite sure which approach Richieshifter is taking.
this is very true, we actually had this problem in my band but the other way around, my guitarest wrote a song and right off the hop i told him that certain parts were dragging out of time. of course we butted heads and he called me every dirty word in the book, but at the end of the day all it took was one guitarest in the crowd at one of our shows to tell him the same thing as i did, the next day my band mate started rewriting and practicing said guitar part. sometimes you need a outside perspective to insight change or improvement.