Opinions: Gretsch G4164SA Solid Aluminum Snare

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'm trying to pick out a Gretsch snare to go with...a little something new that I have coming soon. :)

Any thoughts on this one? Anyone have some decent recordings of one? It seems like a nice drum and by the specs, it should cover anything I need. I won't have the opportunity to try it for myself, like most of the snares I'm eyeballing.

Thanks!

MJD

Silver Member
I played on one of these once. Sounded great though I thought it was too ringy but every snare i've ever tried that wasnt mine (and hence tuned and muffled to my liking) gives me that impression. I would get it, I've yet to be disappointed with a Gretsch instrument whether guitar or drum. In my opinion you cant go wrong with a Gretsch or Ludwig snare. Good luck with your search.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I just bought a Gretsch Brooklyn Hammered COB and it is great. If you want to kill the ring some get an Evans HD or ST dry and bring it down. It will ring some near the edges but will sound great in the middle.

Filacterua

I had a 4160 COB one and was quite ringy and trebly in person. It even managed to get under my former guitar player's skin (and he couldn't care less about drum sounds in general). In the studio it just slayed.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I love the brushed finish and die cast hoops but I'd make sure a thick cast shell is what I wanted as apparently that makes it higher pitched. You can def hear that in the demo on YouTube.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Too ringy? Perfect! I was afraid it'd sound a little too dry and boxy, like some solid aluminum shells out there. I need something w/ volume, warmth, and ring...sounds like this is ideal!

Thanks all!

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I just bought a Gretsch Brooklyn Hammered COB and it is great. If you want to kill the ring some get an Evans HD or ST dry and bring it down. It will ring some near the edges but will sound great in the middle.
This was amongst my top choices, since I have a Brooklyn kit on layaway and really love brass snares. The more ring, the better, IMO. I may have to get my hands on one of these someday, too!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I got mine from Forks and it has become my main snare for now. Lightning throw with adjustment on the butt side. Just love it.

D

drumming sort of person

The only thing I don't like about it, is the Lightning throwoff. The throwoff itself works fine, but those screws that you tighten to attach the straps for the snare wires are IDIOTIC. They use a slotted screwdriver (first mistake) and the slot is very shallow, which results in a stripped screw sooner or later. I would prefer screws that can be tightened with a drum key. The Gretsch Micro-Sensitive throwoff is much better engineered, if not as smooth.