Opinion : Is this a strange combination ?

evilg99

Platinum Member
So I have this orphan satin natural 20" x14" Gretsch Broadkaster bass drum, and then a 10/12/14/16/22 Brooklyn kit. I often play the Brooklyn in a 12/16/22 configuration.

So I thought I'd try this combo out - 10" and 14" Brooklyn toms with the BK bass. Of course , they sound fantastic - but what do you think, is this a strange look ? Perhaps no more strange than having contrasting natural hoops on a wrapped or darker stained shell?

FWIW, the inlay doesn't match the toms either. WMP->Cream Oyster.

Attachments

alparrott

Platinum Member
Sure it looks a little incongruous, but if it's the tools you like to use in a certain sitch, it'll be just fine. You'll be in the back behind amps and poorly lit, anyways.

Maybe since it's an orphan you could get it wrapped to match... just a thought.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Sure it looks a little incongruous, but if it's the tools you like to use in a certain sitch, it'll be just fine. You'll be in the back behind amps and poorly lit, anyways.

Maybe since it's an orphan you could get it wrapped to match... just a thought.
Should have mentioned, can't buy Cream Oyster wrap anywhere. Both Ludwig and Gretsch use it but it's a Delmar -> factory exclusive colour. Not available at Precision, Bum Wraps, Jammin Sam etc etc.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I wouldn't worry about-in fact it maybe a talking point or draw interest being different. What's the fun of having a bunch of drum kits or orphan drums if you can Franken-morph them sometimes. Ohhahhahhahh Be "creative".

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Mismatched kits makes you stand out from the boring matched crowd.

Mismatched kits quietly state that you are confident and that you know exactly what you are doing.

Mismatched kits make people think you are inconsistent, or poor, or both.

Mismatched kits really upset some people.

Mismatched kits, no one cares.

2 sides to everything, and a neutral side thrown in for completeness.

I'd do it.

Unless you can't bring yourself to gig them.

Then I wouldn't do it.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Mismatched kits makes you stand out from the boring matched crowd.

Mismatched kits quietly state that you are confident and that you know exactly what you are doing.

Mismatched kits make people think you are inconsistent, or poor, or both.

Mismatched kits really upset some people.

2 sides to everything, and a neutral side thrown in for completeness.

I'd do it.

Unless you can't bring yourself to gig them.

Then I wouldn't do it.
Haha, awesome.
Oh I am going to gig them for sure...just wondering how many others do this sort of thing and for what reasons.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
After you and the band are all set up, go out into the audience.
See if you can tell what color your bass drum is.

99% of the time I can't tell.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
You could also take a hi-res pic of the toms, submit the image to a wrap company that will do it and there you it. I think most of them do custom jobs. just make sure the lighting is right when you do the image or have a pro do it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Sometimes I like this. Sometimes I don't. This one I do. The different colors all sort of match in an unorthodox way. It's very eclectic, I dig it.

beatdat

I'm all for this kind of thing. Drums are beautiful, but I see too many kits that look like they are meant to remain on display.

And I don't know if it's the lighting, but the bass drum head helps blend it together.

If anything, I would take it even further. Maybe add a bunch of removable decals when you gig this out.

How about a 20" Brooklyn?

evilg99

Platinum Member
After you and the band are all set up, go out into the audience.
See if you can tell what color your bass drum is.

99% of the time I can't tell.

^^^ Yes, this is true. Good point.

Nothing a few cans of spray paint couldn't take care of.
OMG hahaha...nooooooooo

You could also take a hi-res pic of the toms, submit the image to a wrap company that will do it and there you it. I think most of them do custom jobs. just make sure the lighting is right when you do the image or have a pro do it.
Oh yeah, I think Jammin' Sams can do this. Interesting idea.

Sometimes I like this. Sometimes I don't. This one I do. The different colors all sort of match in an unorthodox way. It's very eclectic, I dig it.
I'm liking it more and more as I sit here and stare at it. I'll be completely used to it in a few more hours:)

I'm all for this kind of thing. Drums are beautiful, but I see too many kits that look like they are meant to remain on display.

And I don't know if it's the lighting, but the bass drum head helps blend it together.

If anything, I would take it even further. Maybe add a bunch of removable decals when you gig this out.

How about a 20" Brooklyn?
Totally agree that the Fiberskyn is saving the day here, sort of. It is very close to the color of the Brooklyns.
Decals....hmmmm.
Thinking about a 20" Brooklyn too. Of course I could also order some satin natural toms from Steve Maxwells' Broadkaster shell bank...

Lee-Bro

I dig the contrast. It's not too far off and doesn't look weird. I have a green kit and my snare of choice is an 80s Tama Superstar in Candy Apple Red. I don't like how they look together but when I'm playing I have no view of the snare other than the head and the only thing anyone has ever said about my snare is that they like the way it sounds.

notvinnie

Should have mentioned, can't buy Cream Oyster wrap anywhere. Both Ludwig and Gretsch use it but it's a Delmar -> factory exclusive colour. Not available at Precision, Bum Wraps, Jammin Sam etc etc.
You can get Gretsch to wrap it.