Open letter to all forum members

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only come on here to figure out what new snare drum or pedal to buy. What did I miss? ?
Some insightful posts from some members basically going back as far as I can remember.
Which if I recall was an epic butt-hurt over a set of white saturns about a decade ago. Others have been here much longer...

Last edited:
Some insightful posts from some members basically going back as far as I can remember.
Which if I recall was an epic butt-hurt over a set of white saturns about a decade ago. Others have been here much longer...
Because the answer to ever question is MAPEX !!! ???

Live and let live, that's my view. As long as you're not breaking the rules, I have no problem. Some people are abrasive, some are snarky, some are smart-alecky, but a forum where everyone has the same opinion would be boring as hell.

The key to happiness is recognizing that nobody is perfect, and you may get annoyed with someone's post, but you shouldn't let that trigger you. Just recognize that person is always like that, shrug and move on.

Everyone should know by now what @johnwesley is like. If he's not your cup of tea, then that's perfectly fine. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Live and let live!

Last edited:
@johnwesley - to address you specifically, I have to say, it seems as though your posts have taken a turn to biting sarcasm within the last few months or so. I think you’ve been generally consistent over my time here, but from my perception, something seems to have changed a bit. Maybe I’m wrong...

From my judgment, I don’t think you should stop how you interact with us and I’m glad you made this post. Without knowing anything about you other than what you choose to say here, I hope all is well with you.

If you know for a fact that people have put you on ignore, I would think that would be a red flag, unless ones goal is to come on just to harrass people.

As the man once said, “If you run into an [unpleasant person] in the morning, you ran into an [unpleasant person]. If you run into [unpleasant people] all day, you're the [unpleasant person].”

I used to despise emojis. I'm still not a huge fan. But after several years on message boards—back in the previous century—when I realized my sense of humor was really upsetting a lot of people when I wasn't at all intending to, I started adding what I saw at the time as horrifying insipid smiley faces, to make clear I was attempting a bit of light-hearted humor. Because while I hated using those smiley faces, I disliked even more upsetting people—some of whom I quite liked, others of whom I didn't even know—for no reason when that was not at all my intention. And it turns out, it wasn't that big a deal for me, and I stopped ruining people's day on accident. Pretty acceptable trade-off, I think.

...personally, I can't like this enough. :) ;) :D

As the man once said, “If you run into an [unpleasant person] in the morning, you ran into an [unpleasant person]. If you run into [unpleasant people] all day, you're the [unpleasant person].”

I used to despise emojis. I'm still not a huge fan. But after several years on message boards—back in the previous century—when I realized my sense of humor was really upsetting a lot of people when I wasn't at all intending to, I started adding what I saw at the time as horrifying insipid smiley faces, to make clear I was attempting a bit of light-hearted humor. Because while I hated using those smiley faces, I disliked even more upsetting people—some of whom I quite liked, others of whom I didn't even know—for no reason when that was not at all my intention. And it turns out, it wasn't that big a deal for me, and I stopped ruining people's day on accident. Pretty acceptable trade-off, I think.

I visit this morning and find this thread.

There is an expectation amongst those involved that PMs are not shared in open forum, that's why they're called private messages. Equally, there is an expectation that threads are not started with a clear intention to highlight a disagreement with one forum member, wether that member's name is mentioned or not. I deleted that thread yesterday.

In general, I have zero issue with trenchant responses so long as they're coming from a good place. What I do greatly dislike however, are members efforts or opinions being dissed without any attempt to offer a counter view with a positive alternative suggestion to assist the member. Such responses do not represent a positive contribution to the forum, and all too frequently drive new members away.

All should bear in mind this is an international forum frequented by people of all ages and experience levels. We're not asking for everyone to PC check everything they say, but at the same time, we should all seek to make this forum as inclusive, supportive, & respectful of others and their reference points as possible. For sure, there's absolutely room here for having a bit of fun with someone, but just as in the real world, you do so against a background of at least some familiarity with the recipient, and take steps to ensure your humorous intentions are clear.

To John directly - you have much to offer, and there's absolutely a place for your candour here, & even a consistently "mr. grumpy" stance if coming from a good place, but Johnny was absolutely right to ask you to reign it in a bit & encourage examination of how your responses may be received based on what I've highlighted above. This forum does not require a thick skin as a qualifier for inclusion - that's not your call to make - as we are not always aware of the struggles of others.

The fact you felt the need to post this thread shows you care about how you're perceived, and a desire we all have to not be judged unfairly or out of context. It also shows your skin isn't quite as thick as you'd like others to believe. You're not being asked to become a benign "bot" as your post describes, you're being asked to consider the context & optics of your responses from time to time. If you are, as you claim, coming from a good place, then you'll have no issue with that, & accept the very criticism you expect others to soak up from you.

Thread now closed to further replies as it's served it's purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back