Open handed traditional grip playing

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Has anyone ever played like this or seen anyone playing like this?

I think Lenny White played open handed with right hand traditional.
Cobham, too. But they are both left handed, so the trad grip is in the snare hand. I think the OP's after someone who plays open handed, trad grip on the hihat, matched on snare. Hey, I could be wrong!

Cobham, too. But they are both left handed, so the trad grip is in the snare hand. I think the OP's after someone who plays open handed, trad grip on the hihat, matched on snare. Hey, I could be wrong!
No, you got it. My son asked me about it the other week and it occurred to me that I never even considered the possibility. So I had to run it by my buds here.

Since I mainly play trad and a big part of why I play open handed is to give me some extra work, sure.

So riding with trad hand or just using trad for hhat hits and cymbal crashes?

I know that Mark Zonder of Fates Warning did many patterns in open traditional

Why not? Some trickiness though can occur with Trad Grip in Open Hand playing. One may be with the rocking motion you want on the hats in a dynamic groove. This means, say in a straight eight feel, shoulder to the edge on each downbeat and tip of the stick to the top of the hats. Rock that in straight eights with the tip strike on the upbeat and you are cooking! With the Trad grip it can be done, but be careful not to swing your arm too far out from the edge on the downbeat hits. Play the Trad grip a bit in a straighter up-down wrist motion verses the handshake motion. Hope this makes sense to you.

I do this sometimes.

Generally, whatever hand is leading is is overhand, and the comping hand is underhand. But sometimes I play matched, and rarely I'll play double trad. Huge time sink, but a big advantage now is that I can practice at higher intensities for much longer by switching lead hands and over/underhand grips so that affected muscle groups get some downtime.

Last edited:
I do this sometimes.

Generally, whatever hand is leading is is overhand, and the comping hand is underhand. But sometimes I play matched, and rarely I'll play double trad. Huge time sink, but a big advantage now is that I can practice at higher intensities for much longer by switching lead hands and over/underhand grips so that affected muscle groups get some downtime.
Nice playing! I don't think I could ever get used to a reverse trad grip, but it sure does work out for you.

I play open handed and do it sometimes, maybe only like 5% of the time. I don't really do it consciously, it just happens and eventually i flick back. I only do it when I'm playing on the hats, not on the ride

Na tried it many times i can not get comfortable with it. I think it's a natural thing that comes to drummers.

I had to look up "open-handed" on Google to understand this conversation. I'm left-handed, I use matched grip (American, German, and French, as needed), and I play open-handed. I set up my contraption without knowing what I was doing to facilitate that approach.

Thanks for the enlightenment. <3

Back