Open handed traditional grip playing

spelman

spelman

I think Lenny White played open handed with right hand traditional.
Cobham, too. But they are both left handed, so the trad grip is in the snare hand. I think the OP's after someone who plays open handed, trad grip on the hihat, matched on snare. Hey, I could be wrong!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Cobham, too. But they are both left handed, so the trad grip is in the snare hand. I think the OP's after someone who plays open handed, trad grip on the hihat, matched on snare. Hey, I could be wrong!
No, you got it. My son asked me about it the other week and it occurred to me that I never even considered the possibility. So I had to run it by my buds here.

mrfingers

So riding with trad hand or just using trad for hhat hits and cymbal crashes?

Deafmoon

Why not? Some trickiness though can occur with Trad Grip in Open Hand playing. One may be with the rocking motion you want on the hats in a dynamic groove. This means, say in a straight eight feel, shoulder to the edge on each downbeat and tip of the stick to the top of the hats. Rock that in straight eights with the tip strike on the upbeat and you are cooking! With the Trad grip it can be done, but be careful not to swing your arm too far out from the edge on the downbeat hits. Play the Trad grip a bit in a straighter up-down wrist motion verses the handshake motion. Hope this makes sense to you.