Online music stores "My Rant!"

I don’t understand “selling under MAP” though. The retailer is buying the product from the manufacturer at a certain price, selling under MAP would mean the retailer is making less profit to survive. Why are you in business other than to make a profit? I’m sure stores do it, but they either make up for it with other products or they’re not doing it for long, or they begin to go out of business, right?

Or they become more efficient. Back in the old days Mom and Pop stores were making 100% markup. Now with map that has become 20-30%. So to survive you must find ways to survive on less margin. But we as customers want lower and lower prices. So every time you buy at the lowest price you are driving some small shop out of business.

Or they become more efficient. Back in the old days Mom and Pop stores were making 100% markup. Now with map that has become 20-30%. So to survive you must find ways to survive on less margin. But we as customers want lower and lower prices. So every time you buy at the lowest price you are driving some small shop out of business.
Which is why I still buy from my favorite shop’s. One of the reasons to pay a little more is that they have what I want right now. Even if you find it cheaper online, shipping makes up for that unless they ship for free. But now everybody online is also charging you your correct sales tax, so on a lot of ways it evens out.

I feel so lucky.

ANYONE who is near the SF bay area should try to shop with Darren at "Dubs Drum Basement" in Dublin. Top notch local shop with great products and better salespeople who just want you to get the right thing at a sane price. Opening a shop so recently in this retail climate takes huge balls and I'll always give my money there instead of online.

I can't stand how you don't get to pick your item online. Goes for more than just drum stuff. If I want a cymbal, or a pair of shoes, I don't want to hope that they send me a good one. I want to pick!

I feel so lucky.

ANYONE who is near the SF bay area should try to shop with Darren at "Dubs Drum Basement" in Dublin. Top notch local shop with great products and better salespeople who just want you to get the right thing at a sane price. Opening a shop so recently in this retail climate takes huge balls and I'll always give my money there instead of online.

I can't stand how you don't get to pick your item online. Goes for more than just drum stuff. If I want a cymbal, or a pair of shoes, I don't want to hope that they send me a good one. I want to pick!
That’s a bit of a haul for me from Santa Cruz but I’ll try and check it out.

Thanks for the tip!

That’s a bit of a haul for me from Santa Cruz but I’ll try and check it out.

Thanks for the tip!
Since you gotta drive a bit more than an hour-ish, I'd make sure you need some accessories or something before heading out so you're at least making it worth the trip. But you'll have a good time talking drums and they're more than willing to help out with anything you need.

While I'm giving out Bay Area tips, living in SC you may already know, but be sure to go downtown and try "Hula's grill" if you haven't!

I've seen quite a few independent music stores on Reverb. I've gotten quite a few fair deals from Sweetwater let alone the customer service is amazing. Granted it was instore, but I got my new Ludwig kit 20% off at GC. I haven't experienced the 'no fair deals' issues, I've seemingly almost always been able to find a deal somewhere even if I've had to drive a few hours to go to a store instead of ordering online.

In the 90s working at a retail music store, we had to deal with mail order and drop shipping. I'm not sure how much drop shipping is still a thing, but I'd be interested to know how many of the online retailers (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Sweet Water, DCP*, etc.) utilize this rather than keeping much if any inventory beyond what makes sense.

*I know DCP and other "online" retailers have brick and mortar stores. Still, I'm curious as to what they (all) physically stock vs. drop ship.

I feel so lucky.

I have learned I can’t buy clothes online. I need to see it and try it on. I’ve been disappointed the few times I’ve ordered clothing online.

In the Phoenix area, we have a handful of Guitar Centers and one Sam Ash store. I prefer the Sam Ash, but it's 40 miles from me on the other side of the valley and it couldn't be less convenient if it was in Albuquerque. I have commented here in this forum in the past about how all the online music stores sell the same gear at the same price. If that's the case, I'm going to buy online from whomever has it in stock and/or can ship to me the quickest.

Back