Online Course

SeanMc

Hello, I have been taking lessons for two years and a bit. My present Instructor has stopped teaching. I was thinking about an online course. So many out there with so many great drummers. Any advice from someone who has benefited from an online course would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sean

Do you really want to transition to online learning, or would you rather stick with in-person instruction? I see more advantages to the latter if you can find a local expert. Nothing compares to the immediate feedback you'll receive when a teacher is only a few feet away from you. You'll also establish a better rapport by meeting face to face. I'm not knocking online resources. There are some great instructors out there. I'm just a longtime proponent of old-fashioned lessons.

Do you really want to transition to online learning, or would you rather stick with in-person instruction? I see more advantages to the latter if you can find a local expert. Nothing compares to the immediate feedback you'll receive when a teacher is only a few feet away from you. You'll also establish a better rapport by meeting face to face. I'm not knocking online resources. There are some great instructors out there. I'm just a longtime proponent of old-fashioned lessons.

Or private lessons via skype etc. Most teachers have moved to that format during COVID. Totally different product from online courses where you're not in immediate contact with the instructor.

Or private lessons via skype etc. Most teachers have moved to that format during COVID. Totally different product from online courses where you're not in immediate contact with the instructor.

Yes, alternatives to in-person lessons are of the essence at present. I would recommend skype lessons with a living instructor rather than videos that offer no interaction. Prerecorded videos aren't quite lessons; they're monologues posing as tutorials.

Hello, I have been taking lessons for two years and a bit. My present Instructor has stopped teaching. I was thinking about an online course. So many out there with so many great drummers. Any advice from someone who has benefited from an online course would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sean

Can I ask what style you are into and how did your instructor teach you before he stopped teaching? And yes I think you could benefit from online courses. My opinion only many on this site know much more than I do. Good luck and have fun.

I subscribed to the Drum Channel and it is packed full of great leassons. Some of them have transformed my fundementals in a significant way. I really like it.

For context, I have been playing three years, practice daily, jam whenever I can and still class myself as a beginner. I did play guitar for 30 years so I know music but the drums are a whole new world. I found the online stuff great.

One other thing books. I have 6 books. Is that face to face teaching no. Books may benefit people more than others. To me it's a feel and making up something new. Just like the old days with Trap sets. But do not discount anything that can teach you something. Hope that helps and stay positive!!

Back