Online buying and selling....shipping slowness yet full priced shipping rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vyacheslav

Greetings,

To start: I promise I'm a "normal" American and I'm not trying to start a debate or anything like that at all, it's just something I've noticed. Ok? I'm not trying to start up anything, just pointing out an observation that I know many of us are dealing with and wanted to see if my fellow friends on here feel similarly.

In the spirit of the Reverb raising their selling fees thread, for those of us who are selling online via Reverb, ebay etc. We all know that everything being shipped, particularly through the Postal Service, has been very slow but since the pandemic hit, the post office has been RIDICULOUS with their service and speeds.

When I sell on ebay, I send everything Priority Mail by default, which as we all know, used to be 2-3 days guaranteed anywhere in the Lower 48. After I had multiple items take 7-10 days or more (to go about 200 miles no less), I went to the post office and spoke to one of the managers or "Shift Supervisors". They specifically told me that 2-3 days is no longer guaranteed, they are saying it is now 5-7 days, and may take up to 14 days.

So, I can understand if things are slower during a national public health crisis such as this (although to be fair, I think a lot of companies like Amazon, USPS etc., are using this a convenient "excuse" in order not to have to bust their asses and/or save money by having less workers). Regardless of whether that's true or not, I asked the post office employee, point blank, that if 2-3 days are no longer guaranteed (and it's 5-7 or more as a new standard), why are they still charging us full price for Priority Mail items? The postal employee couldn't give me an answer. Her response, literally, was "I don't know".

I don't want to seem insensitive or be guilty of having "First World problems", but doesn't it seem unfair that USPS still charging all of us full price but are delivering 50% or less than the service we are paying for? Seriously, if it is now taking twice as long, why aren't you charging half price? Makes sense, yes? In my experiences, some of my items were unnecessarily routed across the country (I live in in Ohio....I shipped an item to Pennsylvania that went through Utah). I asked the USPS employee if I could get my money back or a partial refund because of their mistake (I paid full price for a 2-3 day service for a package that was one state away and it was clearly their fault it went 2000 miles out of the way). She said, verbatim, "That is not possible". Why not? I paid for 2-3 day service that took 13. "2-3 Days is no longer guaranteed" translates into "It doesn't matter if it takes 5 months, you're not getting any money back".

I know USPS is a government agency that is always running in the red, but how are they allowed to get away with stuff like this? This is true to a lesser degree with Amazon. Again, I am not trying to be insensitive here or complain about my "First World Problems", but the reason almost all of us pay their yearly Prime membership fee is to get free two day shipping. Many "prime" items are taking a week or longer to arrive. Are they going to refund part of our Prime membership fee? We're not getting the advertised benefit that we paid for. For some us, online ordering is the only way we can get supplies from "the outside world" (the elderly, those quarantined for 14 days etc). To me, this makes the 2 day shipping option all the more important.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything like that, but doesn't it seem odd that these companies can severely under-deliver their advertised services (that we pay normal price for) and it's just supposed to be okay? Again, I promise I'm a "normal" American and I'm not trying to start a debate or anything like that at all, it's just something I've noticed.

A very odd time we're in for sure. Anyone else feel similarly?

Last edited:
Anyone else feel similarly?

Anytime you incorporate a person or an entity other than yourself in an activity, you'll have to submit to terms beyond your control. Those terms can also change at the blink of an eye. You always have two options: Relinquish your sense of sovereignty without protest, or complain until your head explodes, the second of which will result only in an exploded head. I suppose a third option would be to retreat to a hermitage in a secluded woodland and subsist on nature's bounty, but even that idyllic vision has its hardships. If you think dealing with an organization's rules is frustrating, try having your way with the wilderness.

In essence, we have little influence over shipping costs. Accepting them and going on with life seems the proper course to follow. Far bigger problems plague us. USPS should be the least of our concerns.

There's a pandemic going on, things are a little messed up. Typically there's no national emergency discount if services aren't what they are in normal times.

The USPS is great. In the past I've gotten cross country deliveries with them much faster than with UPS/FEDEX. They are "in the red" by design. Congress passed a law that said they had to fund their pensions 75 years into the future-- an absurd requirement demanded of no other federal agency or private corporation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all, ordered a Pearl bc2030 stand, Tuesday with an eta of Monday, I got the UPS tracking update to tell me it was out for delivery today and no ones home to sign for it. ?

Anytime you incorporate a person or an entity other than yourself in an activity, you'll have to submit to terms beyond your control. Those terms can also change at the blink of an eye. You always have two options: Relinquish your sense of sovereignty without protest, or complain until your head explodes, the second of which will result only in an exploded head. I suppose a third option would be to retreat to a hermitage in a secluded woodland and subsist on nature's bounty, but even that idyllic vision has its hardships. If you think dealing with an organization's rules is frustrating, try having your way with the wilderness.

In essence, we have little influence over shipping costs. Accepting them and going on with life seems the proper course to follow. Far bigger problems plague us. USPS should be the least of our concerns.

I understand what you are saying, and yes, we all have bigger things to worry about but to me it sets a precedent that isn't good.

Think of it another way:

Let's say you owned a drum shop. A customer calls you and says he needs an entire new set of heads for an upcoming gig. The customer needs them in 4 days at the latest. To be sure you meet or exceed the customers expectations, you charge the customer more for priority shipping so that you can be sure the customer will have his heads on time and be a happy customer. Somehow, the shipping company re-routes the heads all over the country, and not only does the customer not get his heads from you, they are also unhappy and leave you a bad review online. If you went to the shipping company to ask them for a refund because they messed up and they flat out told you "No, we'll deliver stuff whenever, just deal with it, but thanks for paying us for the premium service", I don't think you would be satisfied with that answer...none of us would be, regardless of what might be happening in the world short of a full scale apocalypse.. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I understand what you are saying, and yes, we all have bigger things to worry about but to me it sets a precedent that isn't good.

Think of it another way:

Let's say you owned a drum shop. A customer calls you and says he needs an entire new set of heads for an upcoming gig. The customer needs them in 4 days at the latest. To be sure you meet or exceed the customers expectations, you charge the customer more for priority shipping so that you can be sure the customer will have his heads on time and be a happy customer. Somehow, the shipping company re-routes the heads all over the country, and not only does the customer not get his heads from you, they are also unhappy and leave you a bad review online. If you went to the shipping company to ask them for a refund because they messed up and they flat out told you "No, we'll deliver stuff whenever, just deal with it, but thanks for paying us for the premium service", I don't think you would be satisfied with that answer...none of us would be, regardless of what might be happening in the world short of a full scale apocalypse.. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I get your point, man. I'm not arguing it isn't valid. At the same time, it's not a process over which businesses or consumers have much control. That status isn't likely to change. I'm a barebones pragmatist. What I can't alter, I deal with and move on. This thread could lead to 10,000 responses that agree with you in every way. Tomorrow morning, the reality will be the same. Life can be an ongoing letdown if you let what you can't influence gnaw away at you. Shipment policy isn't something I'm willing to get worked up over.

I have relatives working for the USPS and the strange thing is, they are working harder than normal AND constantly exposed during this pandemic. I would consider paying full price like hazard pay for them. Workers are still getting sick so their workforce is not at 100% but they are still moving even more mail now. A cousin, after every shift he works, undresses in the garage and runs to his shower before he sees his kids everyday (he did ten days straight this month so far without a day off). So I’d lighten up about the prices you’re paying and be glad stuff is still moving. At any time the postal service can just stop if it gets too crazy, then think about where we’d all be.

Because of this damned virus I haven't been to my studio (42 miles round trip) to play my drums but 2 times since the middle of March. I'm still paying $300 a month!! Nothing I can do about it. Oh I suppose I could pack everything up and put it in storage for half the price, but finding another studio or getting mine back would be near impossible. There are just not many around. Especially that allow 24 hour access. So I sit at home and play my boring practice pad. Like my buddy Mr. Jones says "live with it." At least I don't have covid-19. Oh. My daughter is due to give birth to my new little grandson August 3rd. She's in Monterey CA, I'm in Scottsdale AZ, the new "hot spot" of this stupid ass virus from China and dare not travel to be with her or see my new little baby boy. So......I have to live with it.

I appreciate what you're saying Bo. All I am saying is if you are consistently not getting what you pay for, would you say something?

I have relatives working for the USPS and the strange thing is, they are working harder than normal AND constantly exposed during this pandemic. I would consider paying full price like hazard pay for them. Workers are still getting sick so their workforce is not at 100% but they are still moving even more mail now. A cousin, after every shift he works, undresses in the garage and runs to his shower before he sees his kids everyday (he did ten days straight this month so far without a day off). So I’d lighten up about the prices you’re paying and be glad stuff is still moving. At any time the postal service can just stop if it gets too crazy, then think about where we’d all be.
Hell, Bo. My daughter is a cardio/critical care nurse and front lines patients with this damned virus. She's also asthmatic, and pregnant! Fortunately she's not contracted the virus and has now taken FMLA in prep for her August 3rd delivery date. God bless those USPS, Doctors, Nurses, and Police who work the front lines. Now wash your hands and keep them away from your face.

Hell, Bo. My daughter is a cardio/critical care nurse and front lines patients with this damned virus. She's also asthmatic, and pregnant! Fortunately she's not contracted the virus and has now taken FMLA in prep for her August 3rd delivery date. God bless those USPS, Doctors, Nurses, and Police who work the front lines. Now wash your hands and keep them away from your face.
I concur! And I hope the birthing goes well!
Sometimes people forget that there are people still getting sick, and there are people out there in it that have the potential to get sick. I’m just saying we all have to be understanding for the time being.

if I sell something on eBay, I make sure the buyer understands that whatever the shipper says, add a few days just in case. And if it’s REALLY important, then pay for one-day shipping. During this pandemic, I really can’t see a musician being so busy that he absolutely has to have his stuff YESTERDAY. Most pros I know have what they need and spares to get by. They’re never in a panicked position of needing something right-the-****-now, and they’re smart enough to have taken care of it when they had the time. Or at least, I’m never in that position. Somebody ask Bermuda if he’s ever in that position. I was visiting Bermuda at a local gig and he didn’t like his snare sound. The man went to his car and brought out another head to try! That’s how we all gotta be.

Greetings,

To start: I promise I'm a "normal" American and I'm not trying to start a debate or anything like that at all, it's just something I've noticed. Ok? I'm not trying to start up anything, just pointing out an observation that I know many of us are dealing with and wanted to see if my fellow friends on here feel similarly.

In the spirit of the Reverb raising their selling fees thread, for those of us who are selling online via Reverb, ebay etc. We all know that everything being shipped, particularly through the Postal Service, has been very slow but since the pandemic hit, the post office has been RIDICULOUS with their service and speeds.

When I sell on ebay, I send everything Priority Mail by default, which as we all know, used to be 2-3 days guaranteed anywhere in the Lower 48. After I had multiple items take 7-10 days or more (to go about 200 miles no less), I went to the post office and spoke to one of the managers or "Shift Supervisors". They specifically told me that 2-3 days is no longer guaranteed, they are saying it is now 5-7 days, and may take up to 14 days.

So, I can understand if things are slower during a national public health crisis such as this (although to be fair, I think a lot of companies like Amazon, USPS etc., are using this a convenient "excuse" in order not to have to bust their asses and/or save money by having less workers). Regardless of whether that's true or not, I asked the post office employee, point blank, that if 2-3 days are no longer guaranteed (and it's 5-7 or more as a new standard), why are they still charging us full price for Priority Mail items? The postal employee couldn't give me an answer. Her response, literally, was "I don't know".

I don't want to seem insensitive or be guilty of having "First World problems", but doesn't it seem unfair that USPS still charging all of us full price but are delivering 50% or less than the service we are paying for? Seriously, if it is now taking twice as long, why aren't you charging half price? Makes sense, yes? In my experiences, some of my items were unnecessarily routed across the country (I live in in Ohio....I shipped an item to Pennsylvania that went through Utah). I asked the USPS employee if I could get my money back or a partial refund because of their mistake (I paid full price for a 2-3 day service for a package that was one state away and it was clearly their fault it went 2000 miles out of the way). She said, verbatim, "That is not possible". Why not? I paid for 2-3 day service that took 13. "2-3 Days is no longer guaranteed" translates into "It doesn't matter if it takes 5 months, you're not getting any money back".

I know USPS is a government agency that is always running in the red, but how are they allowed to get away with stuff like this? This is true to a lesser degree with Amazon. Again, I am not trying to be insensitive here or complain about my "First World Problems", but the reason almost all of us pay their yearly Prime membership fee is to get free two day shipping. Many "prime" items are taking a week or longer to arrive. Are they going to refund part of our Prime membership fee? We're not getting the advertised benefit that we paid for. For some us, online ordering is the only way we can get supplies from "the outside world" (the elderly, those quarantined for 14 days etc). To me, this makes the 2 day shipping option all the more important.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything like that, but doesn't it seem odd that these companies can severely under-deliver their advertised services (that we pay normal price for) and it's just supposed to be okay? Again, I promise I'm a "normal" American and I'm not trying to start a debate or anything like that at all, it's just something I've noticed.

A very odd time we're in for sure. Anyone else feel similarly?

I mean....I'm paying full price for tuition to a college that my daughter isn't actually on campus for - so I think that's just the nature of the beast right now.

All of this is beyond everyone's control so I'm in the "roll with the punches" category right now.

John - God bless your family and your daugther. She's absolutely a hero - I can't imagine the stress you're feeling right now with everything.

Now your general tone makes a little more sense ;-)

A gentle word of awareness: What started here as a shipping-fee discussion in relation to drum equipment has assumed semi-pandemic proportions. Our administrators banned that topic some time ago. I'm no enforcer, but a few folks are in this thread I very much respect. I just don't want to see anyone suffer unnecessary consequences.

Good cheer and lightheartedness to all.

I appreciate what you're saying Bo. All I am saying is if you are consistently not getting what you pay for, would you say something?
No, I wouldn’t. Just be aware of our situation and grateful things are happening at all. Here in CA it’s weird because you have 50% of the population doing their part and distancing/masking and the other 50% screaming at the other half calling them sheep and it’s all a conspiracy. Then at any moment a protest could break out and those haven’t all been the non-violent kind. America, at least, has gone crazy for the moment and we all just gotta ride it out. The only good news is that the slow down is global, so if you think it’s slow here, think about those folks in rural parts of Europe, or Asia. Whenever I fall for a FB ad selling me something, I’ve gotten used to the fact that it will take 12-weeks coming from Taiwan. So if I have to wait 7 days for a 3-day shipment, that’s a plus.

OTOH, I ordered a DW9500 hi hat stand on the 14th from a dealer in Florida, and he told me it would take at least 7 days. Apparently DW was told on the 14th, drop shipped it from Oxnard on the 15th, and I got it yesterday. So around here we’re still getting things on time I suppose. But I can only sympathize with the workers moving the stuff and just hope everybody is understanding of what’s going on. After all, it’s like karma, when I need people to be understanding of my situation, I usually get that because stuff happens to me too.

People dealing with goods right now are busy..... really busy. Every package shipped takes more time because there are a multitude more precautions to deal with it at every step of the way to your door. Note the several stops made when you 'track your package'. More people, like yourself, are ordering online by being stuck at home and/or not willing to risk going to a store in which others will not take necessary precautions, or maybe the store is out of business now due to a pandemic. All this equates to more packages, each one requiring several more precautions.
Its absurd to think one should pay less cost for anything during this world crisis. Right now you are paying for getting a package delivered. Maybe invert your perspective - and feel fortunate to be getting anything delivered at all.

Last edited:
Nothing happens in a vacuum, and you can "but but but" all you want "but" right now shipping is generally taking longer than usual, and has been for months now. No amount of (misplaced) righteous indignation is going to change the fact that this is the new normal for the foreseeable future.

USPS is in an unwinnable situation because both their pricing and their expenses are mandated from the outside so they cannot get ahead, yet without them our country would literally fall apart. Sure, I get that's it's a drag to have to wait an extra couple of days for trinkets to come in the mail, but I use them for shipping exclusively and support them 100%. They do a job that I would not/could not do and I think they deserve respect and understanding, especially in the current situation.

I know it obviously isn't the response you're looking for vyacheslav, and I hope you don't take it personally, but I just don't share your outlook on this one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back