One up and One down trend ?

Justinhub2003

I’m personally a big fan of 2 up 1 down BUT in the non traditional sense. I have to have my ride in that space where the 2nd Tom would go in a traditional 2 up 1 down scenario. I like having my Snare centered between the 2 Toms (with a virgin kick drum as well) . From the A certain angle my kit looks like A tradtional 4 piece but from another you see the 10” Tom in the full view.

I know I shouldn’t because its silly, but I always judge drummers who have their 2nd tom In the space where I have my ride.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I tend to have the ride in both places depending on if there's a second rack tom or not.

These issues of distance can generally be solved by raising one's throne a little bit.

There are obviously quite a lot of other places you can have your ride(s) if you so desire.

ConFagash

I personally really like the one up/one down setup for 2 reasons:
1. I can set my ride cymbal over the bass drum for crash-riding, feels great in those big volume moments.
2. You’ve got less drums to work with, so it sort of pushes you to be more creative with fills and grooves.

I don’t know if it’s the same with everyone, but it also feels very natural and I’m not over-extending, two up/one down feels clumsy to me, and I’ve never really tried one up/two down

Justinhub2003

bbbj
I personally really like the one up/one down setup for 2 reasons:
1. I can set my ride cymbal over the bass drum for crash-riding, feels great in those big volume moments.
2. You’ve got less drums to work with, so it sort of pushes you to be more creative with fills and grooves.

I don’t know if it’s the same with everyone, but it also feels very natural and I’m not over-extending, two up/one down feels clumsy to me, and I’ve never really tried one up/two down

Have you tried 2 up one down in the configuration I have attached. For me, it’s the best of both worlds.

*excuse my clutter, doing some spring reorganizing
F5EE5522-5BB7-4F67-8672-1A2594A8B1DF.jpeg

ConFagash

I wonder... about how valid this often repeated statement really is. I play both 2 up/1 down and 1 up/1 down depending on which band I'm playing with currently. Might be just me, but I'd say my creativity is about the same.
You know, I’ve always wanted to try it but I’m limited with hardware. Might be something to look in to!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
You know, I’ve always wanted to try it but I’m limited with hardware. Might be something to look in to!
The offset two-up is my preferred way to set up. It really helps put things in a more logical and comfortable place for me. I have a Gibraltar Stealth stand to help get things really tight up against the bass drum, but for years I used a normal tom stand instead.

Justinhub2003

Hey, Paiste 2002s! I played those way back when and loved them. I now play the Zildjian S Family (B12 instead of B8). I'm a fan of the consistency of sheet cymbals.
I love 2002’s... and Paiste in general, but I am gravitating more towards the Paiste Dark Energy series, I love the ride and the hi hats, but I’ll never get rid of my 2002 Sound edge hats

C.M. Jones

I love 2002’s... and Paiste in general, but I am gravitating more towards the Paiste Dark Energy series, I love the ride and the hi hats, but I’ll never get rid of my 2002 Sound edge hats
Yeah, my Zildjian S hats are Mastersound, the equivalent of Paiste Sound Edge. Excellent chick, no airlock, nothing to dislike. It's hard to see myself playing regular hats again.

Mr Farkle

I have two kits, both one up, one down. I bought an additional orphan tom for one of the kits and found myself trying to work it in to songs it just because it was there. I finally took it off and it’s been on the shelf ever since.

Dirtysticks

This is funny because my "usual setup" has been pretty much unchanged since I was about 15 years old. 2 up and 2 down. On one kit I have a a 12 up, a 14x12 snom, and a 16 down... but when I play live, I more often than not use a 4pc setup with my cymbals in completely different spots that on my "usual setup" lol.

RickP

Gold Member
I have had kits with multiple rack toms and floor toms and have rarely used anything bigger than a four piece kit . The reasons for me personally using a four piece kit are :
1) all about ride cymbal placement - I hate reaching for my ride cymbal . I want it nice and close and low .
2) The music I play doesn’t require a bunch of rack toms
3) I play in Big Bands and in clubs and small stages and space is generally at a premium
4) I have not mastered the 4 piece kit yet .

NouveauCliche

It seems like there is a swing back to basic drum kits? I grew up playing 2 up and 2down with a high ride cymbal placement . The one up one down kit and lower tide at the 2nd Tom position is interesting and seems like a trend . Do you guys see this ?
I moved to a 1 up 1 down simply for portability sake then it just kind of stuck. Heck - half of the gigs I play are 0 up and 1 down if I can get away with it.

My next kit is 2 up 2 down for sure - I miss the sonic options and I love the sound of a good 10" tom.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
God knows I'd rather hear Steve Ferrone sit down at my 4 pc. kit than hear me play it.

Point being that for some drummers that's all they'd need to make it a great musical experience for the listener.

Last edited:

iCe

Todd Suchermann, Blake Richardson. Two of my favourites who also use this tom/ride positioning. I like it so much I also use it myself!
When i started drumming i had my ride on the right side above my floor tom because my fav drummer at the time had that. Played that for a while until i saw other drummers having the ride above the 2nd (or sometimes 3rd or even 4th) tom and was curious about that setup. Way more comfortable, don't have to overstretch my right arm to reach the ride or the bell. Played it a couple of times over the years at jam sessions or when there wasn't enough time to switch all the stands, but it feels unnatural to me.

Back to topic: my preferred set depends on the music i play. I have a huge set now, but when i played with a cover band or a rock band 1 up 1 down was most of the times appropriate. Depends on the songs we play and if i need more sound sources. The big pro about a 1 up setup is that the ride is in a super comfortable position. Easy to reach, can crash it, bell is more easy to play etc. Been thinking of doing a Neil Peart type of setup, but that means moving the toms over and having the rearrange my entire left side cymbal setup and not looking forward to that haha

Last edited: