One stick to rule them all !

I don't have any problem with the stuff Pocket f.o.g. mentioned, but when I practice Bill Bachman's exercises (e.g. doubles) on a pad, I use the heaviest, fattest sticks I have, then switch to normal sticks when there's improvement worth moving to the drum set.
Try Vic Firth's "MS4 Magnums" or Vic Firth's "Ralph Hardimon Hammers." Either stick will give you a workout you will never forget. :cool:

Use the Colaiuta stick for most things, but lighter sticks sometimes and the jury is still out on those. HAveused the Erskine Ride and BIg Band sticks as a lighter choice, but since I've had the John Riley combo stick for a while I actually got some of the regular stick type today.

For orchestral I have some more choices. I end up using the same 2-3 pairs most of the time, but have the entire Pustjens collection and the Gauger sticks. I change those either for sound, dynamics or ease of playing certain things.

My go to stick for almost any gig is VF Dave Weckl Evolution Nylon Tip (SDW2N). 5A weight with excellent rebound.
I want to try those Evo sticks from Dave. I've heard a lot about them and after having played with the brown sig models a long time ago (didn't like them), these new ones seem like a good try.

I like the Steve Gadd brushes with lifted tips and his signature drum sticks, I like Buddy Rich signature sticks also (great for cross-sticking), and just plain 5A of anything. I just shuffle through my bag playing pairs-had been Rich sticks now Gadd sticks. Sometimes I'll play nylon tip 5A. There is some I'd like to try.

Now I mostly play a 5A stick, such as the La Backbeat 565 or Pro Mark 5A or 747. Peace and goodwill.

Back