One song you've played more than any other.

Bowie - Let's Dance

One of the few covers that we played in a primarily original band I was in for 4 or so years. I got kinda bored of playing it but it was always a crowd favorite and was a really great way to close out an already strong set.

Second to that would be our take on The Guess Who's version of Shaking All Over. Same band, though this one we usually played mid set. Bowie always took priority if we only had time for one cover though.

We've talked about adding Let's Dance, after seeing the Rob Thomas cover we figured we could make it work, too. That's a future project, I expect it'll be a lot of fun.

Shakin' All Over....what a great song. My first band, back 40 years ago, did The Who, Live At Leeds version (or our attempt at it, anyway)...I'd love to play that one again!

Wagon Wheel..................and I just recently realized it has the same chord progression as Hendrix "Bold As Love', which I've never gotten the chance to play.................

"So What" by Miles Davis or "Home at Last" by Steely Dan. They are great warm up songs for me to get things going.

Live cover gig; probably "Brown Eyed Girl". I've played a lot of gigs and have played it like the album, as well as instrumental jazz, ska, punk, and cumbia versions.

Last edited:
Steady as She goes by the Raconteurs

Not even a fan of the band per say, just heard the drumless track and had fun grooving along to it.

Same goes for a metal song from Trivium called "In Waves"

On drums?......It's a tie between Led Zepplin's "Going to California", or "Dust in the wind" by Kansas. It seems I'm always playing those two songs. ;)

I can't say, in 59 years they've come and gone. I can remember some songs I'd played too much and wished they'd gone away. Kansas City (Wilbert Harris never did no damn stops), Satin Doll, Old time Rock 'n Roll, Mustang Sally (nobody played it right), Strokin', Sweet Home Chicago, Color My World, Johhny B Goode and Wipeout, the curse.

I keep seeing Wipe Out mentioned, and it made me think: I have never played that on drumset, but played it more than I ever should have on quads in marching band back in the 80's....we used that as a stand tune

Probably Annihilator - Alison Hell (have covered it in two seperate bands over a different timespan) if we are talking covers only. The band I have been covering the most would be Metallica, but several different songs...

Last edited:
Mustang Sally

And one day I’m gonna get it right!
I hope you do, and the rest of the band too, therein the problem lies.
I'm not advocating playing everything like the original but, on such a well crafted arrangement it would be nice to hear it done right, right?

I hope you do, and the rest of the band too, therein the problem lies.
I'm not advocating playing everything like the original but, on such a well crafted arrangement it would be nice to hear it done right, right?
It’s a difficult one to play right because of the attitude factor of the band. Bands really have to lay back and not embellish so much. Some songs you can do that to, and some songs like this one, you shouldn’t or the whole vibe and feel just leaves the room.

It’s a difficult one to play right because of the attitude factor of the band. Bands really have to lay back and not embellish so much. Some songs you can do that to, and some songs like this one, you shouldn’t or the whole vibe and feel just leaves the room.
Well said.

On drums... I don't have one yet. :(

On bass... probably one of mine. I have a lot of fun and terrible bass parts, and even a few fun and terrible songs, that I draw from all the time. These are often bouncing around my head, and sometimes come up while drumming, but I've been playing them on bass forever.

If anyone is bored, deeply clinical or morbidly curious I could link the song here, if that's alright.

Back