One song you've played more than any other.

When I was in cover bands some 20 or 21 years ago now it was Brown Eyed Girl. That was always in the set.

I actually cannot stand that song now as a result. Heard it way too many times.

More Than a Feeling. Boston's debut was one of the albums that taught me how to drum.

When my buddy and I would play in my basement nearly everyday when we were teens, I usually ended with Stairway to Heaven.

Post college it was Rage Against The Machine's Freedom.

And then most recently, James Brown's I Got the Feeling

The singer does, and yes 3 of us do back ups. I'd say we do more of the Rare Earth version.

I've been campaigning to get our bands to do the Rare Earth version of that song, too...with little luck. Great song! (Both versions, of course, I just love the Rare Earth one a bit more)

Probably "Fly Me to the Moon." I've played on and off since 1997 with a singer who does Great American Songbook tunes (a la Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and Nat "King" Cole), and he does that song at just about every gig. I haven't played with him much in the last few years, but for quite a long time I was playing with him as much as 5-10 times a month.

Very likely its Sweet Home Alabama, given the frequency of that as a bar band staple for the 40 years since I started. In recent years, it's definitely Oh Darling, as I've become associated with that in our little scene, so even if I come up to do a song with someone else's band, they usually have me play that. In our show, if any of our regulars are in the audience, I'll get killed if I don't play it. Alternatively fun and/or tiresome, but if someone wants you to play a song cuz of the way you specifically do it, then you do it, dammit ;)
Not 'Darling' by the Beach Boys?

Probably "Fly Me to the Moon." I've played on and off since 1997 with a singer who does Great American Songbook tunes (a la Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and Nat "King" Cole), and he does that song at just about every gig. I haven't played with him much in the last few years, but for quite a long time I was playing with him as much as 5-10 times a month.
Sinatra said Strangers in the night was the worst f****** song ever written. I love it! Does your buddy do that one?

Sinatra said Strangers in the night was the worst f****** song ever written. I love it! Does your buddy do that one?

No, for some reason he never does that one. Another Sinatra tune he almost never does is "My Way." He'll only do it on rare occasions when someone requests it.

Thinking about "Strangers in the Night" reminds me of a joke that bandleader told me a while ago. Seems that this one jazz combo was playing a society gig, and between tunes they were approached by a large, tough looking Italian gentleman.

"Hey, you motherf***kers--play 'Strangers in the Night' in 5/4!"

At this odd request, the bandleader was hesitant. "Well, we can play the song, but not in 5/4," he said. "It doesn't really lend itself to that time signature..."

"Hey, did you not hear me, you motherf***ker?" the man growled. "I SAID to f***king play 'Strangers in the Night' in f***king 5/4!!"

At this outburst the band hurriedly complied. As the first few measures of the tune came floating out over the dance floor in 5/4, the man stepped up to the microphone, and suddenly began to sing:

"Strangers in the f***king night..."

Last edited:
A rare joke that's new to me, and funny too... Thanks. :)

No, for some reason he never does that one. Another Sinatra tune he almost never does is "My Way." He'll only do it on rare occasions when someone requests it.

Thinking about "Strangers in the Night" reminds me of a joke that bandleader told me a while ago. Seems that this one jazz combo was playing a society gig, and between tunes they were approached by a large, tough looking Italian gentleman.

"Hey, you motherf***kers--play 'Strangers in the Night' in 5/4!"

At this odd request, the bandleader was hesitant. "Well, we can play the song, but not in 5/4," he said. "It doesn't really lend itself to that time signature..."

"Hey, did you not hear me, you motherf***ker?" the man growled. "I SAID to f***king play 'Strangers in the Night' in f***king 5/4!!"

At this outburst the band hurriedly complied. As the first few measures of the tune came floating out over the dance floor in 5/4, the man stepped up to the microphone, and suddenly began to sing:

"Strangers in the f***king night..."

Day of the Eagle ..... Robin Trower.

Bowie - Let's Dance

One of the few covers that we played in a primarily original band I was in for 4 or so years. I got kinda bored of playing it but it was always a crowd favorite and was a really great way to close out an already strong set.

Second to that would be our take on The Guess Who's version of Shaking All Over. Same band, though this one we usually played mid set. Bowie always took priority if we only had time for one cover though.

definitely Subdivisions by Rush...that has always been my "warm up" song for a session

next is probably #41 into Sy Goodbye by Dave Mathews...

I usually finish a session by playing to the whole Dream of the Blue turtles album by Sting

Back