One Rack Tom vs. Multiple Rack Toms

I am set up with 4 up 1 down and if I ever find the matching 18" floor tom it will be 4 up 2 down.

I don't really understand why can't people play 2 up 1 down. I just mount my rack toms to the left of ma bass drum and voila you have the extra tom and the comfy ride cymbal.

Then my high hat moves too far to be comfortable.

I resisted all temptations to make jokes about how big your rack was. Either way, as long as it's a comfortable ride. I'll stop now.

I just mount my rack toms to the left of ma bass drum and voila you have the extra tom and the comfy ride cymbal.

Exactly! Takes no more floor space than 1 rack tom, and leaves your ride in the classic jazz-type position. There is no downside to that setup.

Exactly! Takes no more floor space than 1 rack tom, and leaves your ride in the classic jazz-type position. There is no downside to that setup.

The downside is that I have to carry a double tom stand which is heavier than the drum, as opposed to hanging one tom off of an existing cymbal stand. If it wasn't for that extra stand I'd take that setup out more often.

The downside is that I have to carry a double tom stand which is heavier than the drum, as opposed to hanging one tom off of an existing cymbal stand. If it wasn't for that extra stand I'd take that setup out more often.

Which is, of course, why I often just go with a 4-piece for gigs.

To minimize hardware you could multiclamp 1 or 2 cymbals to the double tom stand, or multiclamp the 2 rack toms to cymbal stands.

It’s always a balance between ideal setup and transportation/setup hassle, ain’t it?

Another downsize (as mentioned above) is hi-hat placement. I like my hi-hat in a position that wouldn't even allow me to get to the other rack tom in that configuration.

I'm definitely a simple player. I've done gigs with zero toms and to be honest, I loved it. I do run 1 up and 1 down most of the time, though.

Another downsize (as mentioned above) is hi-hat placement.

Yeah, that’s definitely an issue. For me, once I get the left side of my double pedal in a playable position (that is, so I’m just barely not hitting my leg on the snare), my hi-hat is already over a bit more than it would be otherwise. So, in effect, using a double pedal also makes 2 rack toms more feasible.

I don't really understand why can't people play 2 up 1 down. I just mount my rack toms to the left of ma bass drum and voila you have the extra tom and the comfy ride cymbal.

I like that setup, and used it for many years before moving to a single rack tom. However, the big downside is that it pushes the hihats further to the left and out of my comfort zone.

I understand you BB, and I used this set up when I had a double bass drums kit, one tom on each bass drum, it was OK back then, but on my current set up, there's not enough room between the hi-hat on my left and the ride on my right for a second tom, if I use your set up and add a second tom, either the ride or the hi hat would be out of their "ideal" position.

I live in a very small town in Ohio, I've often wondered how drummers in NYC do it when so many people there don't have cars or don't use them.

Ashland isnt that small....

F

I don't use the double tom stand mainly because like you stated it is Heavy. I clamp my double tom mount(originally from my bass drum) to my boom stand on my left. IMO it's easier to break down that way then using a double tom stand.

Another downsize (as mentioned above) is hi-hat placement. I like my hi-hat in a position that wouldn't even allow me to get to the other rack tom in that configuration.

I'm definitely a simple player. I've done gigs with zero toms and to be honest, I loved it. I do run 1 up and 1 down most of the time, though.

Yea, Hi hat placement may need some getting used to but since I started playing this kind of set up quite sometime ago it's pretty okay to me (the placement of the hats). Though I am interested to try the Remote Speedy Hat.

I like that setup, and used it for many years before moving to a single rack tom. However, the big downside is that it pushes the hihats further to the left and out of my comfort zone.

Each to its own :)

I understand you BB, and I used this set up when I had a double bass drums kit, one tom on each bass drum, it was OK back then, but on my current set up, there's not enough room between the hi-hat on my left and the ride on my right for a second tom, if I use your set up and add a second tom, either the ride or the hi hat would be out of their "ideal" position.

Thanks for understanding C:

Yea this set up is more for double kick playing IMO. Why is that your current set up doesn't allow another tom? Is it a BIG rack tom like 14"? Either way your "ideal" Position may not be the same as mine ;)

Why is that your current set up doesn't allow another tom? Is it a BIG rack tom like 14"? Either way your "ideal" Position may not be the same as mine ;)

No, it's not a big tom, 10" actually... but a 12" won't fit... look at the pic in my signature, you'll see what I mean :)

No, it's not a big tom, 10" actually... but a 12" won't fit... look at the pic in my signature, you'll see what I mean :)

Ive looked at your sig pic a few times in the past. Your setup looks very comfortable to me. Really similar to mine, but Im currently using less cymbals.

Yes, 1 up 2 down is very trendy. But it’s inefficient and a waste of space. With that setup, your left hand has no chance at working as much as the right, which goes against my basic philosophy of drumming.

2 down on your dominant side, yes, but a floor tom to either side, OR a floor tom on either side and a rack tom mounted like a floor on your dominant side... heaven!

Ashland isnt that small....

F

Sure you're not thinking of Ashland, Oregon or Ashland, Kentucky??? Those "Ashlands" are a bit bigger. Ashland, Ohio is only about 30k people, we are known for our Amish community lol...microscopic compared to NYC. I've been to the NYC many times touring. Love visiting but would never want to live there lol.

Though my ideal kit will be at least 2 up 2 down for the flexibility of it think about it...1up 2 down, 1up 1down,2 up 1 down.

Same here. My kit starts with 1 up, 1 down, and anything else is added to the outside of those two drums. I don't really have a hard time with twisting to get to the second floor tom, but there are situations where I would prefer a left side floor tom.

Might have to go "Marco Minnemann" with it and stick a gong bass on the left side of my kit. I'm sure my local soundmen will be THRILLED.

No right or wrong here...no slavery to fashion

Its truth that wins the day...away from rigid axiom

Back