One or two air toms? Are air toms difficult to buy separately?

Strange

Hi! I am buying my first kit and I need some advice.

I am attracted to 3 piece shells packs, aka one air tom because the bass drum can remain without the clamp. To me it both looks nice and probably sounds better. I am however a rock drummer and I want to have the possibility of also playing with two air toms and may want to buy the extra one in the future.

My question is, are air toms hard to buy separately? Am I going to go through much hassle if I buy a 3 piece kit and want to buy an extra tom in the future? Should I buy a 4 piece shell pack instead?

Thanks in advance!

I always play a four-piece kit: snare, bass, tom in a snare stand, and floor tom. I never have a need to add toms, but doing so isn't all that difficult if you think you might want to in the future. Almost any official dealer of the brand you play can order toms for you a' la carte. You might pay a bit more for them that way, but you can get them regardless.

Toms will be less expensive in a shell pack than individually. They usually aren't too hard to get unless you get something custom or special, like a unique finish.

Just so you can talk the talk, let's start you off with terminology........
air toms = rack toms
bass drums without the clamp (mount) = virgin bass drum

I am attracted to 3 piece shells packs, aka one air tom because the bass drum can remain without the clamp. To me it both looks nice and probably sounds better.

You can certainly have more than one rack tom and still have a virgin bass drum. There are many ways around that. While many agree a virgin bass drum looks nice, there is much debate about the sonic difference, or if there is any.

Am I going to go through much hassle if I buy a 3 piece kit and want to buy an extra tom in the future? Should I buy a 4 piece shell pack instead?

That depends on the drums you buy, their finish, and how long before you order another rack tom. If you are buying new, then it's less likely the finish will be discontinued in the near future, but it can happen. If you buy used, again depending on the finish, you may find it's tough to get a match because it could have been discontinued, or your drums may have faded over time. Even with brand new drums, again depending on the finish, you may not get a perfect match if they aren't made from the same batch of wrap, or laquered at the same time. It all depends on how picky you are about a perfect match. I've seen drums ordered months apart not match perfectly.
Obviously a color like black would be much easier to add onto in the future.

I always play a four-piece kit: snare, bass, tom in a snare stand, and floor tom. I never have a need to add toms, but doing so isn't all that difficult if you think you might want to in the future. Almost any official dealer of the brand you play can order toms for you a' la carte. You might pay a bit more for them that way, but you can get them regardless.

Thank you! May you know a retailer that does this? I am pretty new about dealing with hardware and I am also not from the US so I have no idea, aside from Seawater.

Just so you can talk the talk, let's start you off with terminology........
air toms = rack toms
bass drums without the clamp (mount) = virgin bass drum

You can certainly have more than one rack tom and still have a virgin bass drum. There are many ways around that. While many agree a virgin bass drum looks nice, there is much debate about the sonic difference, or if there is any.

That depends on the drums you buy, their finish, and how long before you order another rack tom. If you are buying new, then it's less likely the finish will be discontinued in the near future, but it can happen. If you buy used, again depending on the finish, you may find it's tough to get a match because it could have been discontinued, or your drums may have faded over time. Even with brand new drums, again depending on the finish, you may not get a perfect match if they aren't made from the same batch of wrap, or laquered at the same time. It all depends on how picky you are about a perfect match. I've seen drums ordered months apart not match perfectly.
Obviously a color like black would be much easier to add onto in the future.

Also thank you! English is not my native language, but Spanish, so I had no idea about the terminology. Your clarification is very useful.

And I want to buy a Catalina Maple Rock. I don't think they are particularly new but they are still being produced. I will take your advice into account so I know what I can expect on its finish if I order a second tom in the future.

I’m placing my order for air toms from Seawater right now! The best thing about Seawater is they always include a little bag of real sea water in every order! Soon I’ll have enough to open my own private beach on my patio, where I’ll enjoy watching my air toms floating high above.

How about flying toms?
In all seriousness I would look for a shell pack then use what you want out of that.
If you go ala carte, individual markups may ensue, rather, packs are a more comparable product, whether it’s between brands or sizes.
Also, it would take a series of deep dives to inquire vendors one on one, and seek the best deals for individual pieces.

I’m placing my order for air toms from Seawater right now! The best thing about Seawater is they always include a little bag of real sea water in every order! Soon I’ll have enough to open my own private beach on my patio, where I’ll enjoy watching my air toms floating high above.

I was going to say Seawater has the best shells, but shipping seems like it's on the slow boat to china and they always seem to have moisture damage, but let it be since English isn't his native tongue.

Also, it would take a series of deep dives to inquire vendors one on one....

I sea what you did there. ;)

I think he should get a floating snare with the kit.

Buy a five piece set, or a four piece and a snare. That way if you ever want to have more you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for another tom bought separately.

Last edited:
You'll have no problem using 2 rack toms with a virgin bass drum. You'll just need two tom arm clamps the will clamp onto your cymbal stands. I beg you not to buy a Gretsch Catalina Maple. I had one and it was one of the worst kits I've ever owned. Check out Mapex Armory, Pearl decade(?), used Gretsch Renown, ......c'mon boys help him out here with the sub $1000 stuff. Sonor AQ2 maybe?

Thank you! May you know a retailer that does this? I am pretty new about dealing with hardware and I am also not from the US so I have no idea, aside from Seawater.

Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, or any retailer of the brand you play should be able to special-order whatever you want.

Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, or any retailer of the brand you play should be able to special-order whatever you want.
Of course there's always plenty of orphan toms on eBay or Reverb. If he ordered a popular enough kit with a common finish, then it might not be too difficult to find a matching tom down the road.

Of course there's always plenty of orphan toms on eBay or Reverb. If he ordered a popular enough kit with a common finish, then it might not be too difficult to find a matching tom down the road.

Sure thing. Stray toms, sometimes brand-new ones, are always floating around for one reason or another. Purchasing options abound these days.

Back