One or two air toms? Are air toms difficult to buy separately?

Nice. I absolutley love D.F. It is one of my favourite places on Earth.

The MX craigslist is almost empty. Is the Bazar Músico Cultural still going? There was usually some cool gear and records there. There are always some great kits on the DF facebook marketplace. I would get at least 2 mounted toms and a floor tom. You may not use them all, but they are available to you if you wish.

Additional toms are hard to order later if you have a rare color/wrap, or matching wood stain/veneer. It took me 10+ years to find a matching 10" for the Tama Starclassic Maple in my avatar.

One of the reasons Yamaha Stage Custom is recommended so often is because they have the largest number of add-on drums and the low price. It makes it a lot easier to get whatever you want. I'd still recommend trying to get every size drum you might want in the initial purchase.

I'm also a big fan of the 13-16-24 as my main set up but I really like having at least two small toms, so I either use a 12" and a 13" or a 10" and a 13".

I'm also a big fan of the 13-16-24 as my main set up but I really like having at least two small toms, so I either use a 12" and a 13" or a 10" and a 13".

Talking about the setup sizes of the toms, is there a smart way of choosing them? or is it all personal preference?

Nice. I absolutley love D.F. It is one of my favourite places on Earth.

The MX craigslist is almost empty. Is the Bazar Músico Cultural still going? There was usually some cool gear and records there. There are always some great kits on the DF facebook marketplace. I would get at least 2 mounted toms and a floor tom. You may not use them all, but they are available to you if you wish.

Additional toms are hard to order later if you have a rare color/wrap, or matching wood stain/veneer. It took me 10+ years to find a matching 10" for the Tama Starclassic Maple in my avatar.

It always cheers me up a lot when I hear nice things about my city. It is indeed amazing, very vibrant, lots of people, places, and music. The government actually changed the name, we are not D.F. anymore, but CDMX :)

About the Bazar Músico Cultural, are you talking about El Chopo? It should still be running. I have been wanting to go very badly but it must be a dangerous hot spot of COVID right now. The only time I went was when my dad took me there as a kid, he has the same music spirit as me. I wish I could go for a walk to see it all again, buy myself some clothes, and look for a kit. Extraño a la raza.

I have been looking into Facebook marketplace today. It seems I did not know how to search properly because they have pretty good deals indeed!

Talking about the setup sizes of the toms, is there a smart way of choosing them? or is it all personal preference?

Personal preference? Yes, absolutely.

I really like 13" toms, so that size is always my "must have" tom tom. They are able to tune high or low really well, and I think they look good with a bigger bass drum. A 12" tom pairs well with it because it can be tuned high enough to not get in the way of the sound of the 13" tom, but even tuned high it doesn't sound small. Using a 10" allows an easier way to increase the pitch spread from the 13" tom, though a 10" tom can sound small, and often doesn't sound great if you like to tune low. BUT a 10" takes up less space and can fit into your set up easier.

IF I absolutely had to choose one over the other, I'd get a 12" and a 13". Either get the 10" later on or go ahead and get them all if your budget can swing it.

Personal preference? Yes, absolutely.

I really like 13" toms, so that size is always my "must have" tom tom. They are able to tune high or low really well, and I think they look good with a bigger bass drum. A 12" tom pairs well with it because it can be tuned high enough to not get in the way of the sound of the 13" tom, but even tuned high it doesn't sound small. Using a 10" allows an easier way to increase the pitch spread from the 13" tom, though a 10" tom can sound small, and often doesn't sound great if you like to tune low. BUT a 10" takes up less space and can fit into your set up easier.

IF I absolutely had to choose one over the other, I'd get a 12" and a 13". Either get the 10" later on or go ahead and get them all if your budget can swing it.

Thanks, I really value this advice because I rarely have the opportunity to compare how they sound and work together. I will look into 13" and 12" toms

I have been looking into Facebook marketplace today. It seems I did not know how to search properly because they have pretty good deals indeed!
That's great! Would you like to share some of them?
I think that discussing which set on the market is the best value is not so important when buying used because 1) you're limited to what is available and 2) small differences don't make that much of a difference for your first set. For example, I wouldn't look for 24" bass drum sets exclusively unless you really know that that is what you want and need. A 22" works for Rock as well and you can set up the Toms a bit lower whereas 24"s are pretty rare.
I also found this Rogers Big R set for about $500 with hardware: https://www.segundamano.mx/anuncios...rogers-big-r-vintage-made-in-usa-sa-933089478
Maybe one of the Rogers experts can confirm that it's one of the good sets. I don't see the badges and I don't know if that is the original wrap but it seems like $500 is a fair price outside of the US. You'll also need some of these plastic things to put onto the cymbal stands, some felts, wing nuts and maybe a Hi Hat clutch but you can get them online for very little money.
That would leave you with another $500 to find great cymbals and a snare which can be shipped comparatively cheaply.

About the Bazar Músico Cultural, are you talking about El Chopo? It should still be running. I have been wanting to go very badly but it must be a dangerous hot spot of COVID right now. The only time I went was when my dad took me there as a kid, he has the same music spirit as me. I wish I could go for a walk to see it all again, buy myself some clothes, and look for a kit. Extraño a la raza.
El Chopo is awesome. The bazar is not too far south from there. It is near Metro Taxqueña on Cerro del Músico. It has been a while since I have been out there so I am not sure if it is still open.

That's great! Would you like to share some of them?
I think that discussing which set on the market is the best value is not so important when buying used because 1) you're limited to what is available and 2) small differences don't make that much of a difference for your first set. For example, I wouldn't look for 24" bass drum sets exclusively unless you really know that that is what you want and need. A 22" works for Rock as well and you can set up the Toms a bit lower whereas 24"s are pretty rare.
I also found this Rogers Big R set for about $500 with hardware: https://www.segundamano.mx/anuncios...rogers-big-r-vintage-made-in-usa-sa-933089478
Maybe one of the Rogers experts can confirm that it's one of the good sets. I don't see the badges and I don't know if that is the original wrap but it seems like $500 is a fair price outside of the US. You'll also need some of these plastic things to put onto the cymbal stands, some felts, wing nuts and maybe a Hi Hat clutch but you can get them online for very little money.
That would leave you with another $500 to find great cymbals and a snare which can be shipped comparatively cheaply.

I really appreciate your link. I will look into it!

With my budget, I do have more space to see what I can get in my hands. This set is what caught my attention on the Facebook Market place
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/832004404223235/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

If you are unable to see it, is the exact same model of this video. A PDP Concept Maple, 6 pieces. They are selling it for $820 dollars:

I also have this other option from Sweetwater that may be worth the taxes given its on discount. They told me it's the only model they can send me (from my options, not all the store).
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...armory-5-piece-fusion-shell-pack-cordovan-red

If you think one is better than the other tell me. I personally am in love with that PDP.

Back