One of the most incredible songs I've ever heard

Frost

Silver Member
Sorry but I just had to share this!

I know starting a whole thread over a single song is kind of lame but if any song deserves it, it's this, one of the most diverse and incredible pieces of music I've ever heard

The recently released and utterly brilliant,

And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope by Ne Obliviscaris

http://youtu.be/aMorAdnCixg
 
Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Surprisingly, there's elements of this I really like, including the vocals!!!!!
 

Arky

Platinum Member
I like this one a bit better than what I've heard from them until now (which wasn't much). But I'm not floored... It's not really touching me but they have considerable songwriting and instrumental skills in their field. It was fun playing along to the doublebass stuff (not the exact patterns of course, but the same tempo). The guitar solo parts were nice but I remember the other song was more impressive in this regard (I can pull out some fast sweeps myself, been a guitarist for 21 years). I like their nice mix of aggression & melodies. Long songs tend to get boring at some point but this one was enjoyable. A bit repetitive at some spots but not too much.

Here's my modest offer - Sarah Brightman / "Arabian Nights" - I like the mix of various genres - or genre stereotypes - and the 'heavy' culmination towards the end. Basically I can't stand dancefloor but I'm not ashamed to admit this package is pleasing to my ears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bonvu5LKiGw

I'll delete this post if someone finds this not appropriate.
 

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Lovely violin. Love violin. Can't believe those 32nd notes on the kick drum - that drummer is nuts! If I heard this track when I was in my late teens my head would have exploded.

With today's ears, I like this more than 99% of modern metal. Frosty, the other 1% is Virgin Black's And I am Suffering, which was another link you recommended.

The growling is weird ... kind of like a shouted whisper, if that makes any sense. Sometimes he sounds like a jaguar.
 
S

sticks4drums

Guest
It was good right up until the growling, and then it looses me. I just don't understand it. I can take the odd sentence of growls and screams, but not a whole song. It has nothing to do with my age. I like the heavy stuff, but I like when the guy can sing. :)
 

Numberless

Platinum Member
I feel ya OP, sometimes I get the urge to just share a song with the world, I usually just post it in my facebook.

I've been waiting for NeO's debut album for god knows how long, I thought this track was freaking great, but it doesn't reach the level of excellence set by Tapestry and Forget Not, however I'm not fretting because there's still a whole album worth of material we haven't heard and bands rarely release their strongest tracks in early promos.

I prefered the old shriek instead of the new growling and the chugging parts seemed a little out of place, other than that, just amazing.
 
S

sticks4drums

Guest
I prefered the old shriek instead of the new growling and the chugging parts seemed a little out of place, other than that, just amazing.
I had to smile when I read this. :) Sounds like what your mechanic might say about your old car you brought in for him to access. :)
 

Fuo

Platinum Member
I dig it so far. I've never heard of these guys before... I may have to pick up this CD when it come out, but I don't look forward to having to pronounce their name when people ask me who it is... phonetic spelling please?
 

Arky

Platinum Member
The phonetic spelling is pretty easy if you ever had Latin at school...
It's pronounced about that: [Nay ob-lee-vis-kah-rees]

Well, almost... In the "BIO" section they give a slightly different pronunciation but it's still targeted to English speakers, the Latin version would sound 'more boring'.
http://www.myspace.com/neobliviscaris
 

Frost

Silver Member
The phonetic spelling is pretty easy if you ever had Latin at school...
It's pronounced about that: [Nay ob-lee-vis-kah-rees]

Well, almost... In the "BIO" section they give a slightly different pronunciation but it's still targeted to English speakers, the Latin version would sound 'more boring'.
http://www.myspace.com/neobliviscaris
It means Forget Not I believe.

It was fun playing along to the doublebass stuff (not the exact patterns of course, but the same tempo).
I may have misinterpreted this comment but I'm fairly certain it's a regular fretted Steinberger electric bass guitar, listening to it the tone is much closer to a fretless to my ears.

Lovely violin. Love violin. Can't believe those 32nd notes on the kick drum - that drummer is nuts! If I heard this track when I was in my late teens my head would have exploded.

With today's ears, I like this more than 99% of modern metal. Frosty, the other 1% is Virgin Black's And I am Suffering, which was another link you recommended.

The growling is weird ... kind of like a shouted whisper, if that makes any sense. Sometimes he sounds like a jaguar.
Glad you liked it at least Poly :p

The drummer holds a WFD title in Australia, he's pretty quick. The growls are certainly louder than a whisper but I get where you are coming from, they are highly distorted (natural).

It was good right up until the growling, and then it looses me. I just don't understand it. I can take the odd sentence of growls and screams, but not a whole song. It has nothing to do with my age. I like the heavy stuff, but I like when the guy can sing. :)
There are clean vocals and I'd guess the growls are for less than 30% of the song but they are certainly not everyone's cup of tea. Growls get mocked by a lot of people but there are many famous and respected musicians who appreciate them, I've wrote threads with sources on this before, that doesn't mean everyone has to enjoy them however :)

I agree with the OP. I'm sorry you had to share it also.
:(
 

Numberless

Platinum Member
I had to smile when I read this. :) Sounds like what your mechanic might say about your old car you brought in for him to access. :)
Jaja yes, but still, there is a significant difference in the harsh vocals, I enjoyed the old one more and I hope the album has them.
 

Arky

Platinum Member
It means Forget Not I believe.
Right.
I may have misinterpreted this comment but I'm fairly certain it's a regular fretted Steinberger electric bass guitar, listening to it the tone is much closer to a fretless to my ears.
I meant the bass drums/double pedal/16th stuff at... I guess in the 225 bpm range. Ever heard of doublebass/double pedals/drums...??? :) I was mocking what the drummer played on the double bass, using heel up. Mostly either firing away or those bursts (harder for me). - Hey, I do have a fretless bass BTW.
(GRUNTERSDAD said:) I agree with the OP. I'm sorry you had to share it also.
I still haven't grasped the context of this post...
 
Last edited:

Frost

Silver Member
Right.

I meant the bass drums/double pedal/16th stuff at... I guess in the 225 bpm range. Ever heard of doublebass/double pedals/drums...??? :) I was mocking what the drummer played on the double bass, using heel up. Mostly either firing away or those bursts (harder for me). - Hey, I do have a fretless bass BTW.

I still haven't grasped the context of this post...

No. I haven't heard of double bass/double pedals on drums.....

Of course I have, what was the point of that statement lol, I thought you were referring to the bass guitar though which sounds a lot like a jazz double bass as you mentioned you played guitar. I was mistaken.

Nice to know you have a Fretless, they sound lovely if you're good at playing them, Ne Obliviscaris don't really use one on the album, but I know the bassist owns one and plays it in other projects.

With what Grunters said I knew someone would get annoyed at an entire thread dedicated to a single song, it's no biggie.
 

Arky

Platinum Member
With what Grunters said I knew someone would get annoyed at an entire thread dedicated to a single song, it's no biggie.
Now I see... Thanks for clearing this up.

Well I think this particular song has so many ideas going on, one could write a whole book about it, giving an in-depth analysis. It's packed with wicked stuff and I totally appreciate that from a compositional perspective, it just doesn't floor me. Which is not that easy, I'm picky with music. This doesn't mean music has to be complicated, just 'special' (to me). Whatever that means. But I think you gave a very good song example in your thread, there IS a lot to this song.
 

Frost

Silver Member
Now I see... Thanks for clearing this up.

Well I think this particular song has so many ideas going on, one could write a whole book about it, giving an in-depth analysis. It's packed with wicked stuff and I totally appreciate that from a compositional perspective, it just doesn't floor me. Which is not that easy, I'm picky with music. This doesn't mean music has to be complicated, just 'special' (to me). Whatever that means. But I think you gave a very good song example in your thread, there IS a lot to this song.
The album should be something special, especially the track "Of Petrichor Weaves Black Noise."
 
Top