One of the best rides in the world

You should pick it up! Not gonna see anything like that again...ever.

No doubt this is a beautiful sounding ride. The YT video also has a very good player showing it off.

I have to say though it feels over priced. Not saying it's not a special cymbal but $3K is a lot of scratch for any cymbal even 'Holy Grail' old K Zildjians.

There are many, many Turkish style cymbal makers out there now including Istanbul, Bosphorus, Crescent, etc. Also some of the big boys (Zildjian, Meinl, Paiste, Sabian) are putting out fine cymbals in that sound range as well.

Personally I'm sure I could find something that sounded as good amongst these choices that would be priced considerably less.

But if you feel it's 'the' cymbal, and you won't miss a house payment :)
......then do it.

Jim

damn,,,I wouldnt pay 300 for that pie.

F

Wow. WOW. That is glorious.

Skul, don't you own a Spizz or two already?

I was seriously planning a trip to the region to arrange an excursion to Tuscany to let Don Roberto make/choose a ride for me. The very week I started looking into it seriously he passed away. Now, there's no hope of that happening.

You should (and I know you do) cherish the pies you have. They don't make 'em like Spizz anymore. What a throwback to a diferent time. Cymbals were pure passion for him. I hear he didn't just want to get down to business, he wanted to dine and have some wine, get to know you, hear you play, then choose "the one" for you.

I would kill to have that chance. Damn.

Wow. WOW. That is glorious.

Skul, don't you own a Spizz or two already?

I was seriously planning a trip to the region to arrange an excursion to Tuscany to let Don Roberto make/choose a ride for me. The very week I started looking into it seriously he passed away. Now, there's no hope of that happening.

You should (and I know you do) cherish the pies you have. They don't make 'em like Spizz anymore. What a throwback to a diferent time. Cymbals were pure passion for him. I hear he didn't just want to get down to business, he wanted to dine and have some wine, get to know you, hear you play, then choose "the one" for you.

I would kill to have that chance. Damn.

Hey 8Mile: That would have been a great trip to meet the master! He definitely had the touch. I am sorry for you that you could not get to meet him. That would have been like meeting Christo, Avedon, Newton or Picasso.

I agree with some of the other posters that $3000 is a lot of money; but can you imagine what it will go for in 10 or 20 years!! Whether this cymbal is "worth it" is a value judgment. To some it is worth less that $300 and I respect that. To others, the more mainstream cymbal companies make cymbals that are "just as good sounding"; again, you are right.

For me, I really like Roberto's work and his creations sing for me. I have a couple of very nice 20" rides and one 22" swish from Roberto; I am happy with what I have. But this Turk is something else. I am glad it is now documented on YouTube for posterity.

Cheers

GJS

Skul, did you see the video that a drummer, I think from NY, posted about his pilgrimage out to meet Roberto? he filmed the whole thing, including Roberto pulling cymbals off his shelf and the drummer trying a whole bunch before finally settling on the ones he would buy.

There's another video where Roberto talks about how he wants to "get to know" a cymbal before he judges how good it is. Stuff about setting it at the dinner table and having a conversation with it. Coming from anyone else, you'd think he was crazy or just spewing marketing nonsense. But from him, it was sincere. A true artisan, one who loved his work. He didn't do it for money, he did it because he HAD to.

Man, is that hard to find.

For those making comments about the price tag.

Yes, it's very high. These are designed to be played and cherished but they were made by a real master who has now sadly left us. These cymbals aren't the product of a company, they are the creations of one man that only made so many cymbals in his life time. They were worth a lot of money in his lifetime and the price will only increase with time.

They're not 'normal' production cymbals by a long stretch. What you are seeing is maybe fifty or a hundred hours of work from a master cymbalsmith who did it for nothing but love and fascination. Each cymbal is unique and all of them are superb. Buying a Spizzichino isn't like buying something off-the-shelf, it's the kind of purchase you think about for a long time and discuss before dropping the cash. It's a serious business.

That cymbal sounded gorgeous and the player knew how to bring out its attributes. $3000? That would dissolve my drum budget for a while.

Dennis

They're not 'normal' production cymbals by a long stretch. What you are seeing is maybe fifty or a hundred hours of work from a master cymbalsmith who did it for nothing but love and fascination.

For sure. In this way one can view them as works of art, like any great painting by the masters. Many a painting fetches that kind of sum, and this will only increase in value.

I'm curious what it would sound like without the rivets.

For sure. In this way one can view them as works of art, like any great painting by the masters. Many a painting fetches that kind of sum, and this will only increase in value.

I'm curious what it would sound like without the rivets.

That's exactly how I see it with Spizzichino cymbals. They are artisan-bred instruments and command a price as such.

Thinking about it realistically, drums and cymbals are very inexpensive. Compare a high-end ply kit (say a Sonor) to an equivalently high-end 'Cello and there is a huge gulf in pricing. It's quite amazing really.

Looks very fragile and to my ear would sound better with 2 rivets instead of the 4. Dont know anything about the maker but looks like one he made because he could and it sounds fantastic. Seriously looks like it would fold if you dropped it though.

Roberto Spizzichino was one of the foremost independent cymbal smiths on the planet. In fact, I'd go so far to say as that he was the pre-eminent independent cymbal smith, especially when it came to creating cymbals in the 'traditional' style. He passed away in 2011 and the cymbals were already highly sought after during his lifetime.

There are other independent cymbal smiths out there. The first that comes to mind is Matt Nolan, who makes some wonderfully unique instruments. Spizzichino cymbals tend to be more traditional than Nolan's. Think of most Spizzichino cymbals as the very best vintage Zildjian K you've ever heard and better.

Its a fascinating skill. So primitive and so much hard work combined with musical talent and all by hand. No way I would lay down that kind of dough for a cymbal though. Maybe if money was no object or if I were gods gift to jazz drumming but neither of those are my problems. Anyone here own one?

Its a fascinating skill. So primitive and so much hard work combined with musical talent and all by hand. No way I would lay down that kind of dough for a cymbal though. Maybe if money was no object or if I were gods gift to jazz drumming but neither of those are my problems. Anyone here own one?

Skulmoski owns a few Spizzichino cymbals.

If money were no object, I'd own a few. For now my lusts are met by Istanbul and Murat Diril cymbals that are made using the same processes but not the kind of individual care that the Spizzichino cymbals are made with.

I vote for the "Wild Thing" at Valley Fair. That ride is vomit-inducing!

Back