One Minute Style Analysis Series

WhoIsTony?

I started a new series I'm calling One Minute Style Analysis where I'll pick my favorite players and give little stylistic phrases to help understand their style for drummers interested.

the first few will be on Elvin Jones starting from an easy introduction to more advanced concepts.

this will be taking place mostly on my Instagram but I uploaded Episode 1 to YouTube just now so I could share it here for those interested

follow me on my new Instagram for future episodes and other quality vintage drum and drumming content

I hope you enjoy

find me at Instagram here

https://www.instagram.com/a.amodeodrums/

Last edited:
Love the idea, and also the fact when you demo'd, it's slow enough to actually comprehend... just enough words to make the presentation complete, not overly discussed (a concept most YT video demos fail to appreciate).
More!

I love it too!!! It is slow enough that even I can comprehend lol. Short intro-down to business. ThanksTony!!!! Nice follow up from the first post.

You play that so effortlessly. Superimpose 3 over 4-I like that a lot. Going to take awhile I suspect-I'll have to listen to it over and over to get it into my thick skull lol. Can't wait for next one Tony.

I hope you did that.
Lots of fun to play and it just breeds ideas the longer you sit in it
I did. Just a ride, pad, and hats. I just flowed around and tried to play as many permutations as I could think of, space included.

I completely stopped gigging after last year's NYE gig because I required back surgery. It was quite a shock to not be performing as I had already slowed down to 3 gigs a week about 2 years before that, and then nothing. I didn't pick up a pair of sticks until a couple of months ago because I just wasn't in the mood for it.

Now I'm only focusing on the stuff I always wanted to perform, but didn't because there are no jazz gigs here. I'm hoping to change that by getting some of my former monster players together once a month to just throw down somewhere.

I apologize for the derailment. Even if it sounds like I'm kissing your ass I appreciate your playing, feel, and love for the music. It's inspiring to me.

I did. Just a ride, pad, and hats. I just flowed around and tried to play as many permutations as I could think of, space included.

I completely stopped gigging after last year's NYE gig because I required back surgery. It was quite a shock to not be performing as I had already slowed down to 3 gigs a week about 2 years before that, and then nothing. I didn't pick up a pair of sticks until a couple of months ago because I just wasn't in the mood for it.

Now I'm only focusing on the stuff I always wanted to perform, but didn't because there are no jazz gigs here. I'm hoping to change that by getting some of my former monster players together once a month to just throw down somewhere.

I apologize for the derailment. Even if it sounds like I'm kissing your ass I appreciate your playing, feel, and love for the music. It's inspiring to me.

I love to hear that you are playing again ... my entire reason for making these videos is to inspire ... I mean inspire anyone... even if it's one person

so you just made my day and completely inspired ME

I hope you did that.
Lots of fun to play and it just breeds ideas the longer you sit in it
I love this one-especially love the phrasing of the mambo second one. Tried them yesterday and you've "inspired" another Tony. Keep them coming-Please.

I've been listening to your suggestion of the "killer" McCoy Tyner's "The Real McCoy". Hot damn great recommendation Tony. If any readers haven't caught this one-I highly recommend it to. I can't quit listening to it. I've been shedding your last video like crazy (endless applications)-thanks Tony.

Anthony, just chiming in to say this is all wonderful information that you are taking the time to assemble and put out there. Kudos to you for doing it!

Back