One Minute Style Analysis Series

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
you guys are very kind
the idea is based on the attention span of most of my students :p
As sad as that is (the attention span part), I've gotten more about jazz drumming in the past 4 minutes than I have in the past 29 years. Thank you! (I still don't get the whole of it, but understand the little breakdowns you provide)

Your playing is so smooth and on point, it makes taking it in soooo easy. Now if I knew what to do with it...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Tony is a real treasure here. We are all very fortunate to be the receivers of his posts.

What I'd like to know from you Tony...was the jazz thing a product of your childhood or was it an acquired taste developed after the initial imprinting phase? My preconception is the latter but I don't know at all.

Last edited:

WhoIsTony?

Tony is a real treasure here. We are all very fortunate to be the receivers of his posts.

What I'd like to know from you Tony...was the jazz thing a product of your childhood or was it an acquired taste developed after the initial imprinting phase? My preconception is the latter but I don't know at all.
Uncle L
the music was always in my life but I didn't have much interest in playing it until my late 20s.
was touring in rock bands from the age of 13 ... always had teachers and other drummers talking to me about playing some jazz stuff but I didn't have much interest beyond listening to Tony, Elvin and those guys and trying to steal from them to put into the music I was playing.
Even when I started studying with Elvin in the mid 90s when I was in my early to mid 20s I wasn't fully absorbing everything he was offering because my head wasn't fully in that space yet... I regret that now.
By the time my studies with Elvin were near over I was fully absorbed and addicted ... that was probably '99/2000 ish
Now I think back on all the things he shared and wish he was still here because I have so many questions

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Uncle L
the music was always in my life but I didn't have much interest in playing it until my late 20s.
was touring in rock bands from the age of 13 ... always had teachers and other drummers talking to me about playing some jazz stuff but I didn't have much interest beyond listening to Tony, Elvin and those guys and trying to steal from them to put into the music I was playing.
Even when I started studying with Elvin in the mid 90s when I was in my early to mid 20s I wasn't fully absorbing everything he was offering because my head wasn't fully in that space yet... I regret that now.
By the time my studies with Elvin were near over I was fully absorbed and addicted ... that was probably '99/2000 ish
Now I think back on all the things he shared and wish he was still here because I have so many questions
That's a great post Tony. He sure planted a seed in you-and you didn't realize it till later as it took off. I bet you have lots of questions-but I bet Elvin would like that cause it has motivated you to keep asking and keep the flame alive. I know lots of posters are "absorbing" this thread as I am. You add this to your vocabulary and I noted playing along to a drumless jazz track last night I was adding one his moves you showed us in a new context. I wasn't even conscious of it at first-but then noted what I was doing. Course I can't go it justice like you but it pushes me to be better and expand my drumming vocabulary. Thanks man.

WhoIsTony?

That's a great post Tony. He sure planted a seed in you-and you didn't realize it till later as it took off. I bet you have lots of questions-but I bet Elvin would like that cause it has motivated you to keep asking and keep the flame alive. I know lots of posters are "absorbing" this thread as I am. You add this to your vocabulary and I noted playing along to a drumless jazz track last night I was adding one his moves you showed us in a new context. I wasn't even conscious of it at first-but then noted what I was doing. Course I can't go it justice like you but it pushes me to be better and expand my drumming vocabulary. Thanks man.
awesome Grip .... let me know if you have any questions or would like anything specifically broken down... even if it is something not in these vids

beatdat

Unfortunately, my ears are not developed enough to pick up on what you're doing. Any chance you could post a transcript or two (even if it's just the unembellished pattern) so I can "see" what you're playing while watching?

Although I'm about as far from being a jazz player as can be, I recently started lesson again with an old teacher and friend. Back in the day, he got me started on some jazz basics and turned me on to a few players. While they're obviously many jazz drummers to admire, I was quickly taken by Elvin's playing, and have always thought of it to be somewhere between the sublime and the surreal - truly one of the most original drummers ever.

WhoIsTony?

Unfortunately, my ears are not developed enough to pick up on what you're doing. Any chance you could post a transcript or two (even if it's just the unembellished pattern) so I can "see" what you're playing while watching?

Although I'm about as far from being a jazz player as can be, I recently started lesson again with an old teacher and friend. Back in the day, he got me started on some jazz basics and turned me on to a few players. While they're obviously many jazz drummers to admire, I was quickly taken by Elvin's playing, and have always thought of it to be somewhere between the sublime and the surreal - truly one of the most original drummers ever.
PM me your email address ... I'll send you some transcriptions