One less tom/cymbal - stripping down kit

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
What I took off was the 12" rack tom, and one cymbal stand and one china cymbal. Having ANYTHING less to carry makes a difference for me; my hardware bag is lighter without that one extra cymbal stand, and the double pedal is in a separate bag. But you're right, the number of trips is the same with out without those things. The biggest difference was the ergonomics of the kit, for me.

You mentioned losing the double pedal and not needing one. I used to have a single bass drum pedal. I don't have a double pedal just for the sake of blasting out 16th note licks (although I will indulge in that at the end of certain songs, and the audience and band like it). I know I've had some posts about this a while back, but for me, the double pedal and second closed hi-hat are needed, but my situation is FAR from normal. I sustained catastrophic injuries in 2009 leaving me with a severely damaged left (hi-hat) leg, and losing my right (bass drum) leg below the knee. I had to re-learn how to play the bass drum, basically using a combination of my right leg (with a prosthetic), and my left (with little to no ankle movement). What I came up with is to play the bass drum with my prosthetic right leg, OR my left leg using the slave pedal, OR both legs for certain combinations. When using the left leg, I use my second closed hi-hat so I get a tight closed hi-hat sound. I have played and can play entire songs/sets solely with my left leg on the slave bass drum pedal if needed. Certain figures REQUIRE both pedals. I have to play "heel up" on both sides. Certain bass drum licks such as "Walk this Way" require me to use both feet. Certain licks like the intro to "American Band", or certain sections of "Separate Ways" require both feet for me. Or even just a two 32nd notes require two feet. (Before the injuries I could of course play most of these things with one foot). And hey, since I now have a double pedal why not throw in some double bass stuff here and there. Such as the infamous tom/tom/bass drum/bass drum lick done as 16th/32nd notes as the end of songs on a sustained ending, say on "Jump" or something. I've been amazed at the mileage I get out of that old lick from the audiences.

I've thought about doing what you've done...a really stripped down set. But I'm already carrying a cymbal bag anyway, and 16/18/20 is my current minimum. For a while I was going without a ride, but a bass player asked me why the hell I didn't have a ride, for when we were doing "Uptown Funk" for the ride cymbal/bell section towards the end.

Thanks for the ideas and input.
Having that stuff due to your physical condition is cool then. I wasn’t aware. Rock on!

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Wow.... a whole lot more entertainment value here than in five bass drum pedal threads combined! Lol..

And then realise that all the commotion is about one (as in '1') less tom and cymbal..

Imagine how a thread is when someone decides to remove all toms..

Or, even worse, when someone decides to get rid of the whole set and...............................starts playing bass...............or...........just wants to quit......................😄

J-Boogie

Gold Member
And then realise that all the commotion is about one (as in '1') less tom and cymbal..

Or, even worse, when someone decides to get rid of the whole set and...............................starts playing bass...............or...........just wants to quit......................😄
Perhaps you'd like to take this outside ; P

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Hmmm.... I've been thinking about that...
I've sort of done this. I've decided that this year being able to access the cymbals easier is more important than the toms. It does eliminate being able to use the hi hat pedal, which is weird, but my goal is more speed/less effort. And yes, the left ride gets used almost as much as the right.

IMG_20200123_144714.jpg

toddbishop

Platinum Member

That's the thing, I never want to play with less than two toms, and two cymbals. I'm not a minimalist, there's just rarely any reason for me to take more than 2+2. Even when I'm going to play a lot of stuff. Maybe an extra crash or china type. I don't need more than one low tom sound, I don't want a 10" bongo-type sound, and I don't miss having a middle sound. So that kind of narrows it down. Most music is not about multi-pitched tom toms anyway.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That's the thing, I never want to play with less than two toms, and two cymbals. I'm not a minimalist, there's just rarely any reason for me to take more than 2+2. Even when I'm going to play a lot of stuff. Maybe an extra crash or china type. I don't need more than one low tom sound, I don't want a 10" bongo-type sound, and I don't miss having a middle sound. So that kind of narrows it down. Most music is not about multi-pitched tom toms anyway.
Andy Newmark said something like this you. But I think he added one crash cymbal. But four drums were it. David Garibaldi also did that in the early days of Tower if Power. There’s a lot you can say with four drums and a couple of cymbals.

drumnut87

I've sort of done this. I've decided that this year being able to access the cymbals easier is more important than the toms. It does eliminate being able to use the hi hat pedal, which is weird, but my goal is more speed/less effort. And yes, the left ride gets used almost as much as the right.

View attachment 89774
reminds me of bill brufords symmetrical setup :)

Mongrel

Silver Member
I would never have thought it possible, but this is actually getting more humorous with each post...

Now that we have introduced the plausibility of performing with only ONE cymbal....

Let us advance to the only logical step-toe tapping!

Yep, in the interest of ultimate portability AND artistic integrity, ladies and gentlemen...I give you....

TOE TAPPING!

Lighter than tap shoes, and absolutely challenging creatively, we present the latest band role: TOE TAPPER!

One foot for beginners...two for those up for the challenge! You don’t even need to stand up!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Toe tapping, Stomp box connected to an amp. Or bass pedal playing a Cajon. Or my friend and his Banjoey. Brushes on a banjo head, or roots, splash mounted on the head stock. For his acoustic sets.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
reminds me of bill brufords symmetrical setup :)
I totally forgot about that kit. Manginis symmetrical kit is cool too.

Wonder how Mangini would feel creatively on Brufords kit and vica-versa? Ya know, since this thread is all silly now anyways.

And since it is, toe tapping plus those electronic sticks from the 80s wired to a speaker. Yeah, those were cool. My mom hated them!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Exactly. Give an artist a pallet with three colors on it and the result will not be to exciting. No mixing. Can't mix tom sounds or cymbal sounds.

Same concept applies to both. By placing limits and not having every or more options you are literally forced to be creative with what you do have. Literally, it's not the size of your kit, or art pallet, it's how you use it. It's also a little confusing that you don't think you can mix paint or tom notes?